Kansas NLU

Check it out!

:point_up_2:t3:

1 Like

Hello all! I’ve got a odd request for those around the Wichita, KS area. My fiancee is applying for a job there and has a site visit scheduled in 2 weeks. She has never been and I have only driven through. As we might end up moving there, we, of course, started getting ahead of ourselves, and went on a Zillow binge looking at the housing market and availability in Wichita.

Can anyone recommend areas where you’d start looking? We don’t have any kids yet, just looking for a starter home. Only requirement that my fiancee has is that it needs to be no more than a 20-min drive from the Wesley Children’s Hospital. We found some houses around Eastborough that seemed good and looks like NE Wichita also looks nice, but like I said, we have no idea. Any insights/thoughts are greatly appreciated! Gracias!

4 Likes

Hopefully the Wichita guis chime in for you. I’m nothing but a visitor when I’m in the city. Good luck to the both of you on the new job and potential move!

1 Like

Getting some intel from my brother, I’ll shoot you a DM.

1 Like

I got you!!!

College Hill/Sleepy Hollow is going to be great for a starter home, but it will have some age! You might find the right price, but the layout could be a bit wonky. Should keep you in the 125-200 range if you find the right deal.

You mentioned Eastborough, it’s nice, but not worth the price IMO. It’s going to be 200-400 depending upon age and layout.

Further East/NE you’ll be closer to Andover which has some of the best public schools in the state and definitely the area (as you grow into life). This is also where you will find WCC, Crestview and Terradyne (use me for a referral! Lol). These houses will run you 225-800, depending upon the neighborhood.

West is fine, but it’s not my vibe. Won’t tell you to stay away, but you’ll have a harder time finding a 20 minute commute to the hospital.

Don’t live between Oliver and Downtown (north of Kellogg and South of 96).

Also SE isn’t great either, but it’s doable. Shoot me a PM if you need a realtor, more suggestions or when you start to find places, cross streets. Happy to help! Welcome to ‘Ta Town!

5 Likes

Thank you! This is very helpful!

So, apparently, the hospital is arranging her to meet with a realtor as part of her site visit, so she’s going to be driven around Wichita. We prefer to use a referred realtor for any of my housing in the past but no commitment to using this one for now.

Your course, Terradyne, looks very cool, would love to play there (and maybe join in the future? :man_shrugging:)

4 Likes

RCP pretty much gave the run down to get started so I’ll just chime in to say welcome. I’m in Goddard now but was up near Bel Aire for several years as well. The west side is great if you have kids, like the schools and stay home most of the time except for soccer/baseball/ballet practice and whatnot. The closest restaurant to me in Goddard is Rolling Hills Country club. Ten miles to anything public and decent. It’s a vibe indeed. Happy to show you around or answer questions as well.

2 Likes

Welcome sir!

1 Like

Good review of the west side. I’ve always been East and so West feels foreign. Haha.

Goddard and Maize are good schools, you definitely do not want to be in 259 if you can afford it!

1 Like

Papers signed and first round played on a beautiful spring day!

Proud new member at Southwind!

2 Likes

Oohhh we like that, I travel to work to garden city quite often. Would love to catch up with you sometime. Played buffalo dunes a handful of times and loved it

1 Like

No kidding? Slide in the DMs if you like I always need a playing partner! Dunes will have three new green complexes open soon that look amazing so it’ll be even better than you remember as well!

Sprinklers are on. Grass is greening up. Time change soon. Weekday 9’s are imminent

2 Likes

Hello everyone, new to the Nest here. I am a Wichita resident (going on 7 years now) by way of Nebraska looking to play some good golf and meet some new people. Definitely want to get out to Buffalo Dunes at some point this season. Happy to answer any Wichita golf/food related questions, or Nebraska as well. Just wanted to introduce myself, looking forward to meeting some of you!

3 Likes

Welcome! Buffalo dunes and southwind are my stomping grounds! Let me know if you want to get out and play some time!

2 Likes

Welcome! Check out this thread, some of us will be at Sand Creek on 5/11

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. Love Sand Creek–that definitely piques my interest. Currently not a member of a Roost is there an information page on that somewhere?

Also is there something I can do to not have to wait 45 minutes between posts/replies/messages? Or is that just the way things are

1 Like

@scagnetti runs the Great Plains crew. I’m out west but there’s a few Kansas guys in Wichita and a bigger presence seems to be the KC area. I’m not sure on the 45 min deal that seems odd. Unless it’s due to not being a nest member. Have you joined the nest? That gets you into the roosts as well.

2 Likes

That event above is an effort to get our western and central Kansans #Involved. We hope to do a march with the Denver guis at Buffalo Dunes next season as well.

4 Likes

It seems like this thread might be the hot spot for the Great Plains roost. I would imagine if you post there you’ll get some quick responses. Imagine the captains there can get you added pretty quickly as well.

1 Like