The Darkroom: general photography posts and discussion

I’ll also flip the script on @Renlibrarian and mention we do have a Golf-specific thread for photos as well.
But I’m glad we have just a “photo” thread away from golf.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/photo-gallery-share-your-golf-photos-here/2666?u=tcrbrad

Curious to see if anyone has used other Prism Lens FX Filters.
I bought 2 (they were $70 each I think?) - like the change in look on them but was hoping to find some other prisms or filters to play with that weren’t as expensive…

Here’s what I got outdoors - still have to try them indoors…

4 Likes

Yes that is The Narrows! Probably my favorite all time shot I’ve taken

1 Like

Never heard of prism lenses. That’s a pretty neat effect. Do you have to shoot at a certain shutter to get that effect?

Getting into photography more and taking a few classes on it in the coming semesters in school. This was taken on my IPhone 13 with no editing. Will be getting a DSLR camera at the end of this year and will be excited to progress and learn! Loving what’s been posted so far

7 Likes

I’ll have to dig in to my Aperture library (I still need to export that stuff…).

I quickly found an old “smoke” photo when I was messing with some of this stuff.

4 Likes

Nope! You just attached 'em to your lens and fire away

1 Like

Will post some more recent stuff, but these are the few photos that really got me in to photography. Taken on film and developed myself in a high school class, gosh, like 17 years ago now for various class assignments/prompts - with the exception of the Lincoln Memorial. Have always been a fan of high contrast black and white and trying to create some movement in my photos, all of which started here! Pretty crappy scans but hopefully get the gist. Not necessarily the best I’ve ever taken, but definitely where it all started!

17 Likes

I found a few of my older ones without having to fire up Aperture.

9 Likes

paging: @ChazReavie

1 Like

Anybody have a beat on a reliable used gear vendor, or is it better to buy straight from the manufacturer? I’m no photographer but Mrs. Deck25 is and right now she has a Canon EOS M50 Mark II with just the kit lens (wanted to make sure she liked it first) and I want to get her a 55-200mm lens for Christmas and future vacations (Alaska, Colorado, things of the like).

Picture tax (?) for just asking a question. Here’s an adolescent bull she shot during September in CO. Little guy couldn’t have been 20ft from our car when we were finishing up a hike and she dang near walked right into its backside.

3 Likes

An editing tip, these are primed for some simple edits. Haze removal or contrast/level adjustment could really make the outline of the mountains in the background become more pronounced.

Not sure what editing software you have (or maybe don’t have) but darktable is a solid free option to get started, similar to adobe lightroom

3 Likes

I believe there’s a free version of Adobe Lightroom Online in the App Store that gives you some limited editing options as well.

I’ve had really good luck with ebay. A lot of reputable online sellers list there.

If it’s a plus for you to pay a bit more to have them at least inspected and have some customer support, I have used Adorama before and would recommend.

Adorama

1 Like

Don’t, go mirrorless and don’t look back

3 Likes

I have access to the Adobe suite–is Photoshop a good program to dabble with?

2 Likes

My mirrorless journey began this week and I am loving it

1 Like

Imo Photoshop is wayyyy too big of a beast to tackle for a beginner. Lightroom is far simpler and has all the tools you could need. 10/10 experience using Lightroom.

8 Likes

what’d you get??

Perfect, won’t waste my time yet in PS

2 Likes