Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

Make that one open spot - @Waffles is on board!

1 Like

Yo Mark! Would be sick if you can make it, that Saturday grouping was all time.

Much love my man :heart:
Both spots are still open as of now, if you want in just lemme know. Would love to play with you again!

1 Like

The man, the myth, the legend. Stoked you are here, and stoked to play some G with ya!

1 Like

Heads up for anyone on Papago’s email distribution list: ignore the email about a January 15th tee time and traffic impacts from the marathon. Email went out to entire database rather than just people with a tee time.

2 Likes

1 spot is gone, 1 still open if anyone wants it!

Bumping this. 2 more spots available at Cave Creek 7:52 this Saturday 1/14.

Locked in a 9:48 Friday morning (1/20) time at Moon Valley CC. One spot still up for grabs.

1 Like

I would love to grab that spot, if available!

1 Like

Heading to Goodyear March 1-4 for the Guardians spring training and looking to get at least one round of golf in. Any suggestions? There’s so many to choose from! Not opposed to driving to Scottsdale.

1 Like

All yours Matthew! Look forward to meeting you next week!

2 Likes

We have an event on the 4th not too far from the Goodyear Spring Training complex, and there are a couple spots open.

If you are staying on the westside, I would recommend the Verrado courses. Both are desert courses.
Founders is more a “Championship” style. Victory is an easier course. Both are super fun and should be in excellent condition.

1 Like

Perfect. I should have an itinerary for the week(end) shortly and will know if I can make it. Appreciate the heads up!

1 Like

My feeling of excitement that immediately turned to extreme disappointment when I realized I’ll be out there the week prior and not the week in question.

Edit: If anyone is playing hooky on Thursday the 23rd and wants to save me from playing solo…

5 Likes

hey fellas, I know I’m not the first to put out this question, but hoping for some locals input(thanks in advance).

Attending a bachelor party in Scottsdale in mid-March & have been tasked with organizing the golf.

Plan is to get in Thursday and play an early afternoon round somewhere casual & then somewhere for the entire group Saturday for the big round.

Thursday ideal: closeish proximity to the airport, casual course like a muni, <$100 if possible. I’ve heard Encanto might be a good option for this? Will likely be 2 tee times

Saturday: likely 4 tee times, we’re staying in north Scottsdale(near Greyhawk I believe), looking for an enjoyable course that’s not incredibly punishing off the tee, but is worth the price of admission and would make a good memory(have played We Ko Pa Seguaro and this is what I’m looking to replicate). handicaps range from a few guys in the + territory to guys who play once a year, so in the $200 territory is probably the budget target. Is Talking Stick our best bet?

Open to any & all suggestions & appreciate the input as I’d imagine you all get this question from any friends & family headed to the area for the same reason…

The prices in March are BRUTAL so that will govern a lot of the advice here.

Encanto is certainly a muni that would slide in under $100 but it’s tough to recommend to any out of town group. I like it fine as a local but there’s nothing to recommend it to a visitor. It’s the flattest course in the world. I think the design had some interest when it was built but that’s all been lost over time.

In your price range, I’d recommend GCU or Aguila. Aguila has a bit of desert flavor but is still muni friendly if you’re all just off the plane (not many forced carries or that sort of thing). It’s not too far from the airport, but unfortunately it’s in the opposite direction from Scottsdale. GCU is a parkland style course but the renovation there a few years back has made it much more interesting.

Talking Stick (O’odham) is the only other Coore & Crenshaw course in the Valley but it’s otherwise not much like Saguaro. O’odham is a great course but not many people think so after the first play. It’s a tight routing with hardly any land movement and not much in the way of views, either. If you have a group of 16, I’d bet you have 10-12 people wondering WTH you’re doing at such a dog track before you make the turn. Again, I absolutely love the course but just trying to give you an honest assessment of what most people think from their first time around there.

Your best option from a course perspective is probably Southern Dunes. A great course that can test good players but won’t demoralize lesser guys. The problem is it’s a solid hour away from where you’ll be staying, so … not ideal.

Other good options would be:

• the other course at WeKoPa, which is called Cholla. This one can be tougher and more classically desert golf than Saguaro, but is still a good course with many fun holes
  • TPC Scottsdale (Champions) - across the street from the tournament venue and less expensive but all us locals will tell you that this might just be the better all around golf course
  • Longbow - this one isn’t going to have quite the wow factor but it fits the Saguaro mold of a desert-style course that’s still very playable for any level of golfer
2 Likes

Papago is a very good course close to the airport but probably will not be under 100 but will not be super expensive either. I’ve played the Encanto Short course and it wasn’t great but have never played the 18 hole course.

Talking stick is meh to me for the price but lots of people love it. I liked Longbow in Mesa better but it would be a little farther drive from North Scottsdale.

1 Like

I think C&C did both Talking Stick courses and the north (Piipaash) has broader appeal and is still very good. Southern Dunes is the best around after Saguaro imo. Also endorse Papago or GCU for the muni round.

1 Like

Yes, that’s right. C&C did do the other course at Talking Stick. You just wouldn’t necessarily look at it and think it is their style. But I agree I like it quite a lot.

It has fake lakes and streams, push up greens, and tree plantings. Kind of a pseudo parkland style. I always figured they agreed to build that style of course in exchange for getting to build the minimalist North (Oodham) because the tribe was worried the North would turn people off. Of course it is the one that has earned accolades.

2 Likes