Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

I agree 100%. It took me like 4 rounds and a heavy dose of TFE/NLU to “get” the north course

1 Like

Southern Dunes is probably your best bet for playin a pretty special course on the trip.
I would also highly recommend Mountain Shadows for your first round. Might be pushing the price a bit.
Its an 18 hole par 3 course that is an excellent condition and definitely good for a more relaxed vibe.

3 Likes

All good info here, thanks fellas. I’ll check in with a few in the group re: Southern Dunes, Longbow, TPC champ, & talking stick to make the choice.

Logistically speaking, what’s the best way to get a group of 16 around for that Saturday round? I would imagine uber/lyft would be route #1, but are there other creative solutions? Anybody happen to own or have used a good rec on a shuttle/bus/limo service in the area that may not be far more incrementally expensive than 4 uberXLs for a potential hour long drive?

hi @SweepingDraw I like Papago for your Thursday round and think about SunRidge Canyon for your saturday round. drama/vistas/desert golf for the $ is good. I love TS piipash but the non-woke / GCA crowd does not always get it…

1 Like

If anyone want to come to Albuquerque in April, here is a great option open to everybody:

Details from paywalled post

Greetings from the Land of Enchantment! Our New Mexico contingent will be hosting its first Roost-, Nest-, and World-wide event the weekend of April 15. The exact details will be weather-dependent, but the plan is to have a 27 hole competition on Saturday 4/15 with additional optional golf on Friday and/or Sunday. We hope to lock in the exact course details 10-14 days in advance but in general: it would be very unlikely to be canceled outright (knock knock). Strapped supporting cast member and ex-UNM Lobo golfer Scott (not tagging) gives a good ABQ breakdown here - take it from him, ABQ golf is a hidden gem.

The City of Albuquerque torched my Plan A by scheduling spring aerification all throughout April, but one course (Los Altos) will be punch- and sand-free at this time. Los Altos is my bronze medal ABQ muni for golf but it gets the gold for atmosphere and spirit. The University of New Mexico has not yet released their aerification schedule, but the excellent UNM North 9 hole course will be a part of the itinerary if schedules are compatible. We will also be monitoring the weather up north in Santa Fe in hopes of playing the elite Marty Sanchez Links de Santa Fe (18+9). The 18 hole course is the leader in the clubhouse for hosting the Southwest Regional Qualifier - if you have aspirations of representing your squad, consider planning to come to New Mexico this weekend for a practice round with us! There is always the possibility of late season snow, but I played the course in mid-April last year and it was lovely.

Green fees for these courses are under $40 to walk on weekends and all courses are extremely walker-friendly. Lodging is very affordable as well. Happy to use this thread to be your concierge for planning. Final note: we are at a mile altitude so the ball flies long and straight.

1 Like

Hey fellas, I’ll be in Phoenix for a wedding at the end of March and looking for a place to play for our group (12 guys). Our skill level ranges from single digit handicap to plays once a year. Trying to keep the cost under $150 but with dynamic rates and our date being far out, it’s hard to get a grasp on pricing. I’ve looked through some of this thread for recommendations and have the following:

GCU
Papago (unsure on price)
Legacy (unsure on price)
Aguila
Encanto

The wedding is at Arizona Grand Resort (they have a course but sounds like it stinks) and we are staying at Airbnbs near there.

Any courses I missed or insight to rates at that time?

1 Like

You can probably get any of those within that price range … maybe not Papago at the end of March. I’m not sure about Legacy these days, but I’d be surprised if it was over $150.

The biggest issue is going to be the ability to get 12 spots at a city course like Papago or Aguila at that busy time of year.

FWIW, GCU is a fine course but totally parkland style, so you get no Arizona flavor. Maybe that’s fine for your group and you’re just looking forward to the good weather and you don’t need to see any cacti on the course.

Same goes for Encanto, which I’m not even sure I can call a fine course. (A perfectly lovely place for locals but hard to recommend to visitors … it’s pancake flat and they haven’t done anything to improve the place in the 90 years since it was built.

You could also look at Raven, which is across the street from Legacy (maybe out of the price range?).

I think you’re right to shy away from Arizona Grand. Course has a couple nice moments, a few moments that stink, and several moments that are downright unsafe. Worst of al, the few times I’ve played it, it’s never been in very good shape.

1 Like

If you happen to love blind shots, you will love Arizona grand. Pretty much every hole on the front (minus par 3s) has blind shots. Played it once, and won’t ever play it again. Not worth the money.

2 Likes

For a Thursday casual round…how casual we talking? Like don’t care if we finish 18?

If you don’t care about finishing the round, I’d do a later Papago tee time which should bring the price down. Can hang out before the round and close to Scottsdale after. The last holes are more hard holes than “fun holes” IMO.

If you do care about finishing the round but don’t mind executive, I’d do Continental. Chill vibe. In Scottsdale.

Other options would be Mountain Shadows which is a par 3 course and Dobson Ranch (good vibes there, not actually that far from airport or Scottsdale)

2 Likes

We are coming from Missouri so desert-style would be a nice change of pace for us. Is Gold Canyon-Sidewinder worth a 40 minute drive? Someone in the group just mentioned it.

I have never played that one (Dinosaur Mtn is the memorable course out there which I imagine the price reflects), but there’s a reason for that.

Sidewinder is not worth the time/drive/cost, I would recommend only making the drive out there to play Dinosaur Mountain. There are 15 courses closer to you that would be a similar experience for cheaper than Sidewinder, Dinosaur Mountain is one of the top tier mountain/desert golf courses in AZ.

Like?

Sidewinder would be around $160, but could book it today. Aguila is much cheaper but we’d be rolling the dice trying to get tee times since you can only book a week in advance.

I called Aguila ahead of the booking window while hosting a group of ~12 & they were willing to book it early. It was a little more than the typical rate, but well worth the convenience and still a much better better value for what we were looking for.

2 Likes

I’ve had out of town friends do this as well. I think it was $5 more.

2 Likes

I’ve done this twice now for our bigger local events, and it’s been a super easy process. Definitely recommend this way. Also, no deposit required.

2 Likes

Not including the course you already have slotted…

Top Recommendations:
Longbow - This is the one, awesome design and conditions, desert golf but not super penal target golf
Southern Dunes - Top 5 public course in AZ, not typical desert golf but worth the drive
Las Sendas - People like it, not my personal favorite but some fun desert golf
Red Mountain Ranch - Only Dye course in AZ
Whirlwind - Either course, could get it in the afternoon for sub $150
Camelback - Could get it in the afternoon for sub $150

If Muni types are you thing:
Viewpoint - Not desert golf but great course/value
Rolling Hills - Unique Exec course right in Tempe/South Scottsdale
Dobson Ranch - Not desert golf but fun muni vibe

Not Muni’s but as good as Sidewinder for less:
The Raven
Biltmore - 2 Courses, Links is more interesting
Wigwam - 3 course, Gold is the best of the 3

1 Like

One spot just opened back up if anyone wants it. Sorry for late notice

Anybody have a caddie recommendation for troon north?

We found a fourth.