Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

It would be great to use Talking Stick as the July (or August) course. I purchased the TS deal on underpar so I am somewhat biased, but I also love Oodham so it’s a win/win.

Just @ @KMola14 already

4 Likes

I would be good with TS for July and Papago for September?

Not sure if we’d still be open to making the drive to Southern Dunes for September? Papago is very central

1 Like

There’s always a chance you get lucky and catch a nice day. I played last Wednesday and it was 70 degrees and rainy all day. I definitely would have gone around again.

2 Likes

TS is closed from the 6th to 24th, so limits July availability. Maybe swap TS to September. Looks like the overseed closure for O’odham isn’t until 10/17.

Oh, that’s a good call. I had checked on greenskeeper, but it looks like they have it reversed. If you search for tee times it does appear that Piipash (South) is the course that’s available the bulk of the month.

Papago did their work a week or so before father’s day. So it should be in pretty good condition by July.

2 Likes

Going to make it official that July is Papago

We’re still going to need to designate a NW course for August as well

I am for TS for September’s final round as well

2 Likes

What was your quota?

good question :slight_smile: course hdcp: 9
36-9 = 27

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I was hoping it was in better condition. Glad they are doing something about the spots they lost. Any information on what happened? Lose a pump?

Trying to find a good summer course where the greens are rolling.

This comes in handy sometimes when looking for a place to play. Can just jump to the last few pages to see the latest.

Thanks for the heads up. Might need to get back up to Champions. I enjoy that place.

I was hoping Papago was gonna come into some nice conditions this summer based upon how it was shaping up into aeration time.

Heading to Dallas at the end of July and hoping to sneak a few rounds in…open to any and all recommendations. TIA @LoneStar

From AZ, living in Dallas now but for only the past 9 months so I’m sure others in the Texas Folks thread might have better recommendations. I think people have already put together lists in there for other people as well. A lot of courses are still trying to recover from the February freeze so their greens aren’t great.

• Cedar Crest is in really good shape with just a few greens with some dead spots. Plays firm and fast. Tillinghast design that hosted the 1927 PGA Championship. Really good value at ~$45 riding for weekend mornings. Walkable if you get out early enough in this heat/humidity.

• Stevens Park would probably be the number one course talked about in the refuge and I think there might even be a thread about it. I haven’t played in a few months so not sure the shape it’s in but would be another top recommendation. Essentially impossible to get a weekend morning tee time. Really fun/quirky squared off greens. Only like $30-40.

• Texas Rangers Golf Club is a strong recommendation if you’re willing to spend a little bit more (~$120) and might have to drive a little bit to get to it in Arlington depending on where you’ll be staying.

• Pecan Hollow typically had some of the best greens in the area consistently but I think I heard they were one of the most impacted by the freeze so just depends on current condition.

• Irving Golf Club is a lot of fun as well. Almost has a linksy type feel to it. Wide fairways with some fun greens. A great match play course. Fairways should play really fast in the summer.

Yikes! Thanks for sharing this.

Bare spots in the fairway is just Phoenix the summer TBH. I was out at Sterling Grove last week. They are brand new and have some bare spots. What are you going to do. The transition to bermuda is awkward. But right around the greens is really bad. Kills any hope of shots bouncing in and makes all short game stuff weird. Like, for some reason it doesn’t feel that odd to move 5 yards to find grass in the fairway but doing the same by the green feels very different given the scale of the shot you have.

1 Like

All for a move away from Papago in July…

Green surrounds seem a long way off

Any other ideas? Could also swap for a NW Valley course too

TPC? Will be hard to get a big group of times but finding an early 4 shouldn’t be too bad

Talking stick? Should be able to grab something early in the 7-day res window

1 Like

Flying into Love, staying up in McKinney. Not sure if there is anything up there that you might recommend? It look like Pecan Hollow would be our best bet of the courses listed.

Two years ago we played Traditions(?), and Bear Creek on our way out.

Going to be staying at The Grand Resort next week. Only have 1 round scheduled with the old man on the resort, never played anywhere outside of central IL.

Anything I should be expecting or looking forward to?