Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

New courses tend to have form greens. Usually lasts at least a year or so. In other climates it will last even longer, but the cycle can be a little quicker here with the bermuda/overseed cycle helping to build up some thatch.

I remember playing Ambiente about a month after it opened and that course playing super firm was just wacky hard.

Haven’t been out that way yet, probably will this summer when the rates drop a bit.

As I mentioned above, I think this is one potential benefit of the summer long quota game. Lots of things you can do with the points.

Want to do a Ryder Cup style event at Southern Dunes? Maybe the top point earners are guaranteed in? Or top points earners are captains? Or you can just use the points as a way to make vaguely equitable teams. There’s a lot of potential ways to go.

But I think it’s also fine if it works better to do a one-day event in June when it’s (maybe?) not quite as hot.

Anybody else who wants to plan a one-day event in the summer, please take the reins. I’m hoping to pick back up with an early '22 / WMPO event w/ @astrodupes soon

1 Like

How do you guys think we decide courses for quota games?

Try to keep it mostly centrally located? Have each “region” pick a course to everybody to hopefully have about equal travel? Blind draw from a list of our creation?

I like the idea of picking courses spread around the valley. I’m not familiar enough with the options in each region but I’m sure there are some obvious contenders. And if there’s some disagreement about what course to choose then it could be a random draw from there.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think regions could be fun. Could be a way to see some different spots. And with summer rates we should be able to get to some decent courses, as well.

2 Likes

por ejemplo …

May (Central) …
Papago / GCU / Legacy

June (East)
WeKoPa / Talking Stick / Longbow / (am I missing good options more SE?)

July (West)
Verrado / Wigwam / Sterling Grove

August (North)
TPC Champions / Wick Ranch

3 Likes

Torrey Pines?

3 Likes

Should be in prime condition after the Open

Hey guise, wanted to reach out to see if you all had any ideas on where to find a TPC pin flag. Want to add it to my collection after playing when I was in town. Can’t find anything online and the pro shop said they were literally stuck on the boat (shoutout the chokepoints!) when I asked them after my round.

Have you called the shop since and see if they have them? If they wouldn’t be willing to ship to you, I can pick it up and ship it.

Now that you mention it they did saw to call in a couple weeks to see if they were back in stock and would ship me one. I’ll give them a call tomorrow and appreciate the offer.

For the East you could thing about Las Sendas as well

You signing up to play?

Probably since the wife and I both work remotely and we are on pace to be vaccinated here by the end of April we are thinking about spending the summer any where else then our house. So I just want to make sure that I am around before I sign up.

1 Like

Looking to play Talking Stick on Monday (4/26). Anyone available? I am open all day. Looking to play O’odham ideally. Has been a while since I’ve played it and only played it once but I see the walking rate is pretty decent. Is it a fairly walkable course?

2 Likes

Yes, pretty walkable with some nice green-to-tee transitions as is the C&C way

2 Likes

Posting this again:

Looks like we’ve got 12 names so far

Once a month at a TBA course in the valley quota game

Not sure if anybody is running with planning a single day event in the Summer, but seems quiet on that front

1 Like

Just waiting to see when/what courses start offering summer deals.

2 Likes

I encouraged Dale, who was our non-Refuge participant in the NW pod of the match play, to take part, because I know he enjoyed match play and was interested in doing something over the summer.

But I did tell him he needs to go ahead and join the Refuge already if he wants to do it.

2 Likes