Roll call: Phoenix/Scottsdale

Of course I’m gone both weekends of the NCAA Championships at Grayhawk, but if anyone is wanting a non-playing refuge meet up that’s still golf related, that might be hard to beat haha.

1 Like

Booked the 8:12 on 4/26 for the O’odham course. Currently there spots still available if anyone wants to join.

Was thinking about volunteering, but I think being a spectator a day for each tournament will end up being far more fun and rewarding…probably cost the same too

3 Likes

Not sure how many of y’all in here carry an AGA membership, but if you do and missed it they’re selling some April deals for the next few days

$82 for 2 players @ Verrado – good from 5/17 thru 9/9 (after 10am on Friday / weekends) (w/ a free replay if you’re slightly nuts)
$69 for 2 players @ Talking Stick – good from 6/1 thru 8/31 (any time all 7 days of the week) (again w/ free replay available)

Might not be a bad idea to make one or both of these a summer quota game stop…I just have no idea if these rates are essentially just dressed up but will be the same as a regular booking when all is said and done, just trying to sell some in advance

Was my line of thinking…at worst it looks like you may save like $1…at best rates stay high due to COVID demand and you got the “normal” summer rate?

1 Like

Hi guys we are planning a trip for June 2022. I know I know it’s going to be hot but we are teachers.

What travel packages or websites should we look into?

1. We walk 27-36 daily all summer long and all 5 handicaps or less.
  2. We are looking to play 6-8 rounds depending on length of stay.
  3. Stadium course is the only must play (not my call) hahaha
  4. What courses are must play, might have a couple days of 36 so the drive is important. We are looking for courses in the best shape and great greens.
  5. We-ko, troon, I know Quintero but not sure if there are any other courses close.
  6. We would play early then play later afternoon if playing 36
  7. What prices are looking at? I know a lot cheaper in the summer.

Thank you so much for any advice, I know we are awhile out but just trying to get an idea of what we are looking at.

Hit em straight boys!

Do you know where you’re staying yet?

You can likely get away with 36 most days and not see the same course…

You’ve got 36 holes at We Ko Pa, Talking Stick, TPC, Grayhawk, Troon, Boulders, and others (point being - wouldn’t be too worried about the drive, but not sure if an early time with a long break and then afternoon 18 would make much sense)

Whoever is insisting on this, change their mind, the course is fine, but just boring without the grandstands up

I’d plan on ~$100-150/day for 36 and you will be VERY comfy, and you can get by for far cheaper

1 Like

Wickenburg Ranch and Los Cab or lil Wik would be a great play in the summer if you are up for a bit of a drive.

Both of the Verrado courses on the west side would be a solid package as well.

2 Likes

Thank you, we don’t know where we are staying yet. We are looking to find a good place to book through any suggestions? Thanks again.

Awesome, thank you

No, not really sorry…I’d just decide what your budget is and if that makes more sense as a house or a hotel…sounds like you guys will be gone for most of the day to play golf, so accommodations beyond a hot shower and comfy bed but might be irrelevant

1 Like

FWIW though the Boulders has 36 holes I don’t know that you can play all 36 in a day. I haven’t been there in a while, but the way they used to do things was one course would be reserved for members on a given day, and the other would be available to resort guests and public bookings. Then availability would switch the following day.

But @Jlender21 if you want to play Boulders there are other options to make for a 36 hole day in the area. Legend Trail is a decent course usually in pretty good shape. Another one that hasn’t been brought up not a part of the resorts or other 36-hole facilities is Verde River. Excellent course and if you play your first round early you’d have no problem with daylight (afternoon rounds in the summer are, typically, as quick as you want them to be).

2 Likes

This was a quote I got today, only difference in price was lodging. They said these are all great courses, in great conditions, and top notch for better players. What do you guys think?

If you’re driving all the way down to where Whirlwind is, may as well go the extra 20 minutes or so and go to Southern Dunes. Whirlwind is fine, but Southern Dunes is excellent.

Other thought is … it’s been a LONG time since I’ve been a visitor here, but–especially in summer–I’m not really sure you need a package here. I get that’s an attractive way to go to, say, the sandhills. But I’d need to see the price to be convinced that you’re really getting any kind of deal from a travel package here (again, especially in summer when times aren’t as hard to come by and rates aren’t nearly as high).

2 Likes

That package with hotel, 2 rooms 4 beds and breakfast. 750 per person.

How many nights at what hotel?

edit. Just because that obviously makes a difference if we’re looking at the golf cost.

1 Like

When in June are you coming? May need to check with the courses on their greens aerification schedule. 2020’s schedule for Talking Stick was still on their website.

Early June, before Father’s Day. When do most courses punch?

I think he’s looking at 2022, but it’s a very good point.

Courses here can be closed basically at any point throughout summer. The 36-hole facilities especially are quite liberal about aerating and leaving one course closed for 1-2 weeks (or maybe worse aerating and opening up too soon).

When you do start looking to book, figuring out those schedules is very important.

1 Like

Hyatt house of scottsdale