Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from Roll Call: Ohio (OATW adjacent) and localized ice cream debates (Part 1) - #10084 by joecline41.

Previous discussions:

1 Like

round2-round-two

7 Likes

Perfect timing. Round two starts with the chance to get your teeth kicked in.

8 Likes

Springfield CC with fast greens and tough pins is diabolical. Thankfully the rest of the course is more reasonable. Can’t recommend enough if you want to test out your approach game.

4 Likes

It was at the top of a hill, one of the highest points on the course. You could see a handful of holes from that green. There isn’t a cross bunker, and but if I remember correctly, a bunker on the right side of the green. There was also long grass across the back of the green.

I want to say it was 7… I was thinking originally 5 or 6, but I’m bad at remember hole order without playing a course a lot (and one of the times I played there, we started on 10). It’s definitely somewhere in the middle of its nine and not right before the stunning par 3 9th.

18 was a brutal location, especially since the grass in the bottom of the fairway was so tight that chipping was really tough. Easy to chunk and try it again, like I got to do once hah.

4 Likes

Sounds like 4, but we may need to work on defining what a short par 4 is.

4 Likes

4 was my guess as well based on the description, hard to overstate how fucked you are from above that pin.

2 Likes

This applies to 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 15, and 18. Otherwise your are fine long.

5 Likes

Played out there a few weeks ago with shaggy greens and it was wild how different it is. Had about a 20’ putt behind the pin on 9 and left it about 8’ short because I just tapped it expecting it to run 10’ by no matter what.

1 Like

I think you guis are right, so my guesstimate of hole 5 wasn’t far off!

Hah fair. It was playing about 400 yards that day. So it wasn’t short as in a drivable Par 4, but with a solid drive, you have a short approach shot. I went UW, 9 iron.

And the number 1 stroke index hole. Hard to think of it as a short 4. May also be some scarring impacting my opinion.

@PersistentlyOverPar How is 18 green? Believe we were out there the day after it was vandalized and it was in pretty rough shape.

1 Like

Not sure how soon afterward I played it. I am sure they will get it back. It wasn’t too horrendous and I have full faith in the super and crew. Helps a little that the had some other putting surface to pull plugs from. Once it starts growing again it should mix in fine.

Edit: looks like it happened on the 2/3. I played on the 8th and it wasn’t bad but will heavily restrict pin placements until it grows back.

2 Likes

Yeah short par 4 wasn’t the right description… more so that I didn’t remember its length being nearly as impactful as the other aspects that made the hole so tough.

It’s the #1 index for a reason!

1 Like

It is the best kind of frustrating. You really just have to laugh at all the wild crap that happens to you.

I don’t think I’ve ever been truly mad about a bad outcome there.

2 Likes

STAY BELOW THE HOLE™

1 Like

4 is diabolical.

1 Like

So I don’t know all the details, but from conversations with some of the older members, 4 and 18 have actually been built up in the front to make them easier in the last 15-20 years. If you look closely, they both have a little bit of a flat spot at the front of them that hasn’t always been there.

1 Like

If you haven’t played at Springfield CC this is the time to do it. The course itself is fantastic and @PersistentlyOverPar is an amazing host.

5 Likes

It’s the most fun place to get kicked in the balls

2 Likes