Roll Call: North Carolina

Definitely lots of golf played in February, particularly later in the month when its basically early Spring. Getting in 36 in a day might be tough, due to limited daylight and the possibility of frost delays.

Lots of days in Feb start in the low 40s but end up very, very comfortably by noon or so. There’s no guarantees, but often very ideal golf weather.

3 Likes

Yeah, lots of 40s/50s on February. Coming from Detroit you’re probably happy to be out and playing. I alway LL tell Midwest buds to go ahead and come play because some golf is better than no golf, just keep in mind it’s not Florida or Arizona so conditioning will be “good for winter.”

1 Like

Hi, everyone - I’ve been an NLU fan for a few years now and finally decided to join the Nest. I’m from the Concord area and I’m a member at Tillery Tradition CC near Albemarle. Currently, I’m a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill, so I play just about anywhere in the Piedmont. I’m always looking for people to play with, so if anyone is ever looking for a game, let me know.

9 Likes

Welcome. My wife and I goto the albemarle drive in quite a bit. But playing out of Pinehurst.

1 Like

Hey man. I’m a northeast Michigan guy who lives in Pinehurst. I’m a fan of the winter/fall golf here. At times it can be pretty rough. I played a round last year at longleaf and it was down pour rain and about 31ish the entire time. Just need layers and plenty of gloves. It is pretty easy to get tee times. Played mid pines, pine needles and Tobacco Road during one of the weeks in January and it was pretty easy. The Tobacco Road round was rough but very worth it. Let me know if you decide to make it. Go green

5 Likes

What’s up! As a transplant from Florida I’m
Loving life here in Pinehurst as a caddie. My primary Golf days are Monday/Tuesday and on those days I get an early report time!

I’ve played Tobacco Road and Tot Hill Farm, absolutely love a Strantz design and need to play Caledonia/True Blue in SC.

Locally I obviously play any Pinehurst course (My favorites not named 2 & 4 are 5 & 7). I’ve played Pine Needles about 4 times and the ladies are in for a TREAT next year for our Open.

Unfortunately haven’t golfed Mid Pines, Talamore, Southern Pines, Mid South but I am playing golf Monday at CCNC so I’ll get to those eventually!

Would be happy to golf with any locals and of
Course I do want to explore other courses in the great state of North Carolina!

15 Likes

Concord guy here and play out of Cabarrus CC. I usually throw openings in the CLC or Charlotte local chats if you ever want to join (scroll above to find WhatsApp links). We’ll set aside the UNC fandom for a round haha

5 Likes

Also new to the Refuge and appreciate the info. I’m in Charlotte as well but find myself all over the state depending on the time of year. Looking forward to some interesting rounds ahead.

8 Likes

I’ll be home in a couple weeks. I was a member at mid south for a bit. Still have some friends over there that can get the discounted rates.

2 Likes

Sounds great man. Weather started to feel cool today. 60s and windy so I think fall is finally arriving? Haha

3 Likes

Finally getting to be fall. I live just down the road from the Resort, we’ll have to tee it up sometime.

Absolutely man. I live right next to #7. Again I’m off every Monday and Tuesday. Playing CCNC tomorrow so let’s try and golf Tuesday or next week!

Welcome @DeuceLooper !! Just wanted to let you know we have an event called The Low Country Boil next year at Caledonia & True Blue. There is another thread on it so be sure to signup. I believe there are spots available. If not you can always sign up as an alternate because there will be many dropouts as it draws closer. Enjoy CCNC!! Heard great things about it!

2 Likes

Anyone play @ Monroe CC?

1 Like

I have before as guest.

Course is ok, front 9 is an OG ross and pretty cool and tough.

The rest of the people there was certainly an odd lot

1 Like

Been a little while in the making but we have a small group of Refugees launching em this Sunday, 10/17 at Salisbury. We have the 10:00 and 10:10 with one opening if anybody is interested. I was up there a few days ago and the course is looking great.

Currently we have @rkris and son Max, Mr & Mrs @chilidipper, @grizzly224, @smallz0r and myself. It’s $50 to walk or $70 to ride. A very easy walk, I don’t recall where it lands on the @anon29849602 walking scale?

Who wants the last spot?

4 Likes

Just played it last Friday. We caught a shitty weather day but the course was in great condition with fast greens. I find it to be the best value course in the “Charlotte” area. During the week it’s something ridiculous like $21 to walk or $33 to ride.

1 Like

I used to know the head pro at Monroe before he left to become the GM at Stonebridge and I was out there a lot for lessons. Every time I’ve been there the course has been in fantastic shape. The greens are always rolling true and fast. As others have mentioned, the front 9 was designed by Donald Ross. It is always very busy though. I’ve never had a quick round out there (expect 4+ hours on the weekend for 18).

1 Like

I think it’s an 8 on the walk scale, very pleasant. If I wasn’t scheduled to drink a bunch Saturday night, I would have snapped this up ASAP

4 Likes

Well, then we’ll just have to get you back up there sometime soon.

If you get to the point in the proceedings Sat evening where your buzz overtakes rational thought and you convince yourself it would be a good idea to play just know the bartenders at Salisbury pour with a heavy hand to cure what ails you.

1 Like