Roll Call: North Carolina

That’s a pretty good lineup. I’d say go for it.

1 Like

FYI for Charlotte/Asheville folks-Cleveland Country Club in Shelby is now available on GolfNow for some fairly reasonable pricing. Wouldn’t go much more than an hour out of my way for it, but it’s worth checking out if you’re in the neighborhood especially compared to some of the public pricing in Charlotte.

4 Likes

Hey, all - Been following NLU for a while now but somehow just discovered The Refuge/this thread! I just moved down to Charlotte from NYC last September and always looking for events & people to play with.

Done some damage on the public track tour over the last year but now starting to look into the CC route so will def be looking for some intel !

7 Likes

Welcome @TRoselli26 !! The Refuge/this thread is fanfreakingtastic!! I am in eastern NC and rarely get to Charlotte area. If you are ever on the Eastside or have questions just holla…Plenty of folks from all over. There are also a couple Whatsapp chats that would be very beneficial for you. I will share the links if I can find them…Don’t be afraid of the name of the first one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Like DBD said, this is a great lineup, but i’ll hit you with some caveats.

• If you like walking those would be tough back to back walks.
  • Sounds like you have 2 golfers, many of my 15+ handicap friends struggle at Lonnie, something to consider if it is going to be your 30th hole of the day and you are looking for more relaxed
  • It’s not going to make any articles or top 10 lists, but I LOVE pine hollow for an afternoon round - easy walk, good layout, great greens, and a VALUE
3 Likes

Appreciate it! I booked that line-up - Duke in the am and we plan to walk. Then a 3pm at Lonnie and plan to ride (and hopefully finish!). Our other 2 arrive at RDU that night, so in no rush. We always get our tails whipped on these trips so Lonnie Poole will be no different!

1 Like

Anyone interested in a 145 tee time at Southern pines tomorrow?

Anyone interested in playing golf at Southern Pines on either Tuesday October 12 or Thursday October 14? My birthday is the 13th but I’m slammed at work that day. My wife and I rented a house in Wilmington for 6 weeks and I figured while I’m down here I’d like to play the newly restored course

I’m not set on those dates, could also play Monday or Friday.

We need to change this back lol

Posted in Travel thread too…Anyone happen to be around for a potential afternoon round next Wednesday (Oct 13) at Southern Pines? Getting in mega earlier due to flight changes than I originally anticipated and have an opportunity for an extra round. Keen to try Southern Pines now!

I’m not a local but just had to say that you definitely should play Southern Pines. Played it the day it opened from renovation and loved it. Better than mid pines by a decent margin (in my mind, at least).

1 Like

Are you able to play the 14th?

#3, #2 that day. I saw your note above. Too bad it didn’t line up.

1 Like

I supposed #2 and #3 would take precedent over Southern Pines. Lol, for real, enjoy man. Sounds like a blast.

1 Like

The discussion between Brooks avatars is confusing me.

8 Likes

I am not local and cannot join but I played SPGC this past Sunday post Vibestock and I absolutely fell in love with it! It is a must play and once everything grows in it is going to be very near the top of the list of any public golf in the area (It’s practically there now). Also had the chance to play #3 on Friday, pre-Vibestock and loved it as well.

2 Likes

Some deals here-Salisbury is a goodie.

2 Likes

What’s up, North Carolina gang? Coming at you from Detroit.

I’m just wondering how many of you in the Pinehurst area play golf in February?

I broke my foot a couple weeks ago and it essentially ended my golf season, and I love fall golf. So, I’m trying to plan a mini trip to the Pinehurst area to play, maybe rent an Airbnb for a couple of days.

I went last year and stayed with my fiancée at the resort and played 2, 4 and 8 so I was thinking of playing 1 or 3 and then the other courses in the area.

It’s early and idk if it’ll happen, I’m getting married next year, but I wanted to see what the vibe was like

5 Likes

raises hand

That’s the diciest time of year to play, with the best potential for “cold” weather. Conditions will depend heavily on how dry it stays in December/January.

Having said that, I typically get in plenty of golf that month. It’s fairly quiet around here then and isn’t too tough to get out, obviously there is competition for the mid morning tee times. Are you looking to stay and play at the resort?

Edit: sorry, I see you’re going with the air bnb.

If you end up coming let me know and we’ll get in a round at Longleaf.

5 Likes

I think I’d avoid the resort this time, but it would depend on if the lady comes with me.

As a big guy from the Midwest, 40s and 50s are my favorite weather. Last year we got lucky - 48 and misty first morning on No. 4 but sunny and 60s the afternoon and every day after.

I’d like to pay Tobacco Road, and the Mid Pines/Southern Pines courses, etc

1 Like