Roll Call: North Carolina

I’m going to be up in the Linville, Boone, Banner Elk area later next week. Does anyone have any course recommendations? I used to play Linville Falls and Red Tail Mountain but they have both closed in recent years.

Boone Golf Club, I don’t think there are any other truly good public courses around.

3 Likes

In addition to Boone as Naner stated, I’ve heard Mountain Glen Golf Club is worth checking out. Haven’t been but it’s on my list.

2 Likes

I play out there pretty often. Best deal near me. Always looking for people to play with

1 Like

Grassy Creek is my hometown course in Spruce Pine. Its a fun track and in its best condition of the year during this time.

Mountain Glen in Newland is a fantastic course.

Boone Golf Club is the best public option in the area in my opinion. It is also in Prime conditties right now.

1 Like

Lovely place about 20 minutes from me. Highly recommend!

1 Like

Hey all,

Rolling through Pinehurst/Durham Nov 3rd - Nov 7th on the back end of a road trip. Any interest from the group in doing 36 at UNC/Duke on Saturday Nov. 6th?

I’ll also be in Asheville from Nov. 14th - Nov. 20 if anyone is looking to play!

4 Likes

I’d be up for Asheville. I’ve been trying to get down there to play Muni and/or Black mountain, but haven’t made the trip yet. I am also up for playing anywhere down there. I am headed down to TN, and could make the 18th work.

Heading to Asheville for conference tomorrow but unfortunately will not be golfing…Black Mountain is a great budget option and fun to play. Enjoy the road trip!! Lots of great golf in that area of the State!

2 Likes

Has anyone been to the Pinehurst Golf Academy? Is it any good?

I’ve not been but it looks really cool. The academy/teaching space on the back of the range is pretty awesome…my daughter has worked a little with one of the coaches, Nicole Weller, so I’ve been out there with her. The short game area looks so fun.

Would recommend Boone as well. It’s a really fun layout and has some awesome views.

1 Like

Took lessons years ago from Eric Alpenfels, the head guy up there. Always enjoyed my experience but not sure on the current rotation of instructors aside from Eric.

Cardinal in Greensboro is finally doing something about the clay bunkers. Hopefully will be completed in the next few weeks, from the proshop email:

The new super Ross is fantastic, this past season is the best I’ve ever seen the course. He’s a man of the people too, gets out and plays in the Wednesday evening game and was spectating the shootout for the member-member earlier this year.

7 Likes

That course just keeps getting better and better!

I need to get down there and check it off soon

Let me know when you do and I’d be happy to host! Bentgrass greens so best in the cooler weather, although they somehow manage to keep them rolling pretty good even in the summer heat

2 Likes

Count me in for a meet up at The Cardinal by Pete Dye.

5 Likes

I’d be down to host a group, guest fee is $35 walk or ride. I was looking at the first weekend in November (6th or 7th, would there be any interest if I booked a couple tee times? Tee sheet opens up in a couple days for that. Obviously the weather is a true who can say this time of year, it could be 85 degrees or freezing. Also not sure the bunkers would all be done by then either, I don’t know what the target completion date is.

2 Likes

I used to help them with marketing, specifically with repositioning the Academy to be more attractive to resort guests and locals. Traditionally, their clientele was too random and unpredictable, so we built out their weekend and weekday programs, targeting resort guest and locals, respectively. They have a great reputation and offer a variety of instruction formats. It can be pricey, I think, but I guess that’s relative…feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions. Happy to help!

1 Like