Roll Call: New Mexico

Hi all - I am planning a Roost event in ABQ the weekend of April 15 2023. If you are interested in joining, let me know!

Competition day would be Saturday. We have a really solid muni with a full 18 hole course plus a good 9 hole loop as well. So 27(+?) holes for the day.

Additional golf Friday and/or Sunday to make it worth everyone’s while. Tons of options TBD. There are three other really fun and solid munis, a really cool 9 hole course adjacent to University of NM right by downtown, some bigger resort-ish courses 30 mins away, and some other options 60-90 minutes away that are more destination worthy.

1 Like

@BrysonsLats @Breakfast_Ball_Hite and I have an open spot this Friday 1/13 at 10:50 at Arroyo Del Oso. Please join us if you can! Conditions are great right now. Checking in on @Blinkman2 it’s been awhile!

2 Likes

Man am I craving to come up to ABQ for a game with you all! We’re opening a store down here and it’s got all of my attention. Soon it will be open and my schedule will thaw. Hit em’ well on Friday

2 Likes

Dry Heat GC will be hosting a smaller event in April. Open to all!

Details from paywalled post

Greetings from the Land of Enchantment! Our New Mexico contingent will be hosting its first Roost-, Nest-, and World-wide event the weekend of April 15. The exact details will be weather-dependent, but the plan is to have a 27 hole competition on Saturday 4/15 with additional optional golf on Friday and/or Sunday. We hope to lock in the exact course details 10-14 days in advance but in general: it would be very unlikely to be canceled outright (knock knock). Strapped supporting cast member and ex-UNM Lobo golfer Scott (not tagging) gives a good ABQ breakdown here - take it from him, ABQ golf is a hidden gem.

The City of Albuquerque torched my Plan A by scheduling spring aerification all throughout April, but one course (Los Altos) will be punch- and sand-free at this time. Los Altos is my bronze medal ABQ muni for golf but it gets the gold for atmosphere and spirit. The University of New Mexico has not yet released their aerification schedule, but the excellent UNM North 9 hole course will be a part of the itinerary if schedules are compatible. We will also be monitoring the weather up north in Santa Fe in hopes of playing the elite Marty Sanchez Links de Santa Fe (18+9). The 18 hole course is the leader in the clubhouse for hosting the Southwest Regional Qualifier - if you have aspirations of representing your squad, consider planning to come to New Mexico this weekend for a practice round with us! There is always the possibility of late season snow, but I played the course in mid-April last year and it was lovely.

Green fees for these courses are under $40 to walk on weekends and all courses are extremely walker-friendly. Lodging is very affordable as well. Happy to use this thread to be your concierge for planning. Final note: we are at a mile altitude so the ball flies long and straight.

2 Likes

Hey all. Newbie to the roost. Live in abq, good friends/work with @Breakfast_Ball_Hite. Looking forward to meeting and playing with you all!

P.s I suck at golf

6 Likes

Welcome! We’re making a concerted effort to play together more often this year. Will be sure to send out the word while making plans. If you are free to travel to Phoenix, we still have a spot open to anyone for our March 4 event:

Feel free to DM me with any questions, etc.

I’ll be out of town during that timeframe but I appreciate the invite

@BrysonsLats @Breakfast_Ball_Hite and I have a last minute opening at Paradise Hills tomorrow 2/10 at 10:51. Should be sunny firm and fast!

When one of these falls on a day I don’t work, will I be safe with my 50, 54, 58 setup or am I going to have to be looking over my shoulder the whole time?

2 Likes

Oh you’re gonna need to be on your toes my friend.

1 Like

Does anyone want to get together this coming Thursday-Saturday? I can’t make it but a fellow Nest member will be in town for the PGA Professional Championship at Twin Warriors.
cc: @shonseymp @BrysonsLats @tbrooks

1 Like

So the schedule has changed a little, and I unfortunately don’t think I will have any chance to play, so I’m not gonna bring my sticks. However, I’m always down to grab a meal and hang out! I get in Wednesday night, then practice rounds Thurs-Sat, play starts Sunday.

1 Like

Moving to Santa Fe - Mid June

What’s the NLU fan base look like in Santa Fe/Los Alamos??

3 Likes

Cant speak for the fan base, per se, but the vast majority (I think there are two of us…now three that don’t) of people active on the message board live in Albuquerque (or the immediate area). Good guys and you’ll probably be able to get a game easy enough. @RolandOfGilead is your guy for NM.

1 Like

:rotating_light:Event Alert :rotating_light:

The Dry Heat GC roost will be hosting the Southwest regional Roost Club Championship qualifier match against the Southern CA racdg-lowcal roost. The 4v4 match will take place Sunday July 16 at Arroyo Del Oso in Albuquerque. In addition to the competitors, anyone else is welcome to attend, play, and hang out! Here is the itinerary:

Saturday 7/15: afternoon practice round at Arroyo. Two Dry Heat guys from Phoenix will be here to see the course, plus possibly some SoCal folks. I will be on kid duty and unable to break free but anyone is welcome to play and sherpa the guys around. I will call to book tee times when the window opens on 7/8.

Sunday 7/16: the competition will be 27 holes. We will be playing the Dam 9 and 8:00 and the 18 hole course at 10:50. I have one extra open tee time (4 players) booked for each window. If these spots are not claimed by 7/9 I will cancel. Afterwards we will probably hang out at the Bear Trap to celebrate our win or at least toast the spirit of the game. Feel free to play however much you want; caddie services are always more than welcome; or join us for the post-golf hang.

@DryHeat @Rob_Roth @Blinkman2 @tbrooks

7 Likes

I just realized ill be driving back into ABQ on the 16th…in my head it was the weekend after :frowning:. I was hoping to get out with you all. Ill hit you guys up when I’m back in town and grab a beer for sure.

1 Like

I realize I’m not the most active guy in here but I’m interested in playing and meeting some new people if you still have room!

4 Likes

Absolutely! Are you thinking Saturday, Sunday, both?

Would be totally down, but I’ll be out of town that weekend playing in a MG in Pennsylvania. Nuts

1 Like

Most likely just Sunday

1 Like