Roll Call: New Mexico

Funnel pin in the middle on 2; but he hit a filthy shot just past pin high and left; rolled it in from 8’

3 was ridiculous - that back right flag was hard to get at but he hit it 12 feet short left and it was never in doubt. They also used the right tee box; so I;m not sure if that was better or worse for that pin… depends on shot shape I guess

Guy putted like a professional; hit every putt with good speed and no joke only left one putt short all day; supremely confident making 2-4 footers coming back and did so all day.

1 Like

Great playing with you guys the other day, 4 over at UNM with the rough grown up is no joke!
The back right pin on 3 is so hard, Sunday was the first time i’ve seen it cut on the left in a long time

I’ve got the Friday of Labor Day weekend (September 2nd) off for work. Anyone wanna try and play anywhere outside of town that day (black mesa, Marty Sanchez etc)?

1 Like

Solid maybe for me. I’ll know better once we get closer. I do need to cash in some pre-paid rounds at Santa Ana and Twin Warriors.

Also going to cross-post this here, from the roost chat:

Hi everyone - in the midst of taking down our opponents at Goat Hill Park, your victorious representatives @Waffles @wiz @BrysonsLats discussed meeting in Albuquerque or Santa Fe to play some golf together this fall. I will be unavailable the weekend of 10/15 but the others would all work. 10/8 falls within the ABQ Balloon Fiesta, which (a) makes flights very expensive and (b) is a very cool event to check out (really) so overlapping might make sense? Most would say that October is the best time of year here so all date options should be good. So let’s see if we have critical mass to start making real plans. Who is interested?

2 Likes

I’m now living in NM full time and would be interested in joining a critical mass!

5 Likes

Fellow LC guy here…usually play 1-2x per week at Sonoma, but I’m always open to wherever

2 Likes

Here is a first pass at putting this together (cross-posted from the SWRR thread).

Here is a rough cut signup sheet for a weekend of golf in Albuquerque and Santa Fe the weekend of Fri-Sun 10/21-23: the High Desert Debacle.

My idea is to center the weekend around a round in or around Santa Fe. There are two great public courses up there: Marty Sanchez Links de Santa Fe is a truly great, walker-friendly muni 60 minutes from Albuquerque, and Black Mesa is a true destination golf course 90 minutes from ABQ. Any WAGs and family making the trip will be able to conveniently spend the day checking out downtown Santa Fe (artsy, historic, walkable) and/or the aspens in the nearby national forest. Mid-late October is peak aspen season in northern NM - think Northeast “peepers” but less crowded.

Friday and/or Sunday can be flexible and more ABQ-centric as there are plenty of 9 and 18 hole golf courses that can meet our preferred schedule.

Marty Sanchez - Santa Fe

Black Mesa - Espanola

UNM North (9 holes) - Albuquerque

Is there a date when you need to know for sure? I’m expecting a nephew that week, so I won’t know until much closer to time. The upside is if he comes early, I’m off that whole week.

Nah. No worries, I’ll post updates here as we get closer. Good luck to the family!

1 Like

Is anyone interested in joining me at Arroyo del Oso next Thursday 10/6?

Also of note: our 2023 Roost season begins tomorrow. We will be using a season-long points race to determine our Regional qualifier team, which will compete for a spot in the Roost Club Championship at a very cool location. @BrysonsLats and I just got back from the 2022 Championship and can confidently say that the event is top notch and the company is unbeatable. Full details are in the thread below. You must be a Next member to view and compete - reach out to me via DM for more information.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/dry-heat-gc-2023-season/79760/49?u=rolandofgilead

I sent a DM to those of you that I believe were interested in playing in two weeks. If I missed you, please let me know!

Played Santa Ana today (Tamaya and Cheena), man that course would be so sick if they just shaved all the rough down. How does it play later in the season?

1 Like

Those are the best two 9s there IMO. The rough is definitely thinner in the winter. I don’t recall whether or not they let it get firm but I agree it would be sweet. Planning to use a free round there before the end of the year.

Plans for next weekend are coming together:

Thursday 10/20: afternoon 9 @ UNM North
Friday 10/21: 18 @ Los Altos or Arroyo plus 9 @ Arroyo Dam 9
Saturday 10/22: Black Mesa

We have 2-3 confirmed for each round: LMK if anyone else wants to join!

1 Like

i wanna find the people out there that think thick rough and soft conditions is “fun” haha. let me know when you’re trying to get out there, I’m gonna have a decent amount of PTO to burn up in the next few months

1 Like

Black Mesa is booked for 10:10 on saturday the 22nd. 1.5 (@hannajb8 is a solid maybe) open spots if anyone wants in

Is anyone interested in a quota round Sunday 10/30? Going to try and grab a late morning tee time at Sandia. I’ll most likely grab a time at Paradise Hills as backup.

Throwing it back out to the board. I’ve got a foursome booked for 10:10 this Saturday at black mesa with @Waffles. @hannajb8 is 50/50 on the third spot and the fourth is wide open. Let me know soon if you want in

1 Like

My handicap service is about to expire. Does anyone have any experience with being a “member” at Paradise? Seems like a good deal. Any use any of the other courses in town for their hcp?

1 Like

Just to document it here, I’m in for Black Mesa, so just 1 opening.

2 Likes

I’m going to play Marty Sanchez Links de Santa Fe with @BrysonsLats this Friday 12/2 at 10:20. We have two spots available - let us know if you want to play. I’ll cancel any unclaimed spots Wednesday if nobody can join. Course should be fantastic to play in firm conditions and gorgeous with snow on the mountains.

1 Like