Roll Call: New Mexico

Cool! Thanks for the heads up. Hoping I can make it out on Sunday as well. Will let you know if so as soon as I can but def before 7/9. Most likely just for the dam 9, but I’ll see.

2 Likes

@Breakfast_Ball_Hite and I have two spots open for a stroll around the Arroyo Dam 9 this coming Monday morning at 8:10. Anyone who has the holiday off or wants to play hooky, let me know! Course is in good shape and it’s always a pleasant walk.

The course looks great!

1 Like

Would love to join but already locked in to a round at twin with some guys I work with. Next time!

1 Like

The wife and I are headed to T or C this weekend for golf, cold beer, and hot springs. I’ve been trying to book a tee time at Sierra del Rio in Elephant Butte but cannot get ahold of anyone. I called the hotel we are staying at last night and they said the course was open, but :man_shrugging: Anybody played there or know anything about it?

1 Like

How about this Friday? @BrysonsLats and I are playing Arroyo at 9:10. Have two open spots for anyone interested!

Pencil me in! I’ll check on a couple things at work Monday but should be able to make it out.

2 Likes

Update on the TorC trip. The local muni is in rooouugh shape and not worth playing, imo. With a lot of love it could be a nice nine holes but it’s currently owned by the city so I’m sure it isn’t going to get the $$$ needed to keep it up.

Sierra del Rio (in Elephant Butte) on the other hand was excellent. It’s a pretty straight forward opening nine and a weird af back nine that was making me lose my mind…I can’t wait to go back. The restaurant has been closed for a while for renovations, but is scheduled to reopen 8/1. The deck there looks like a 10/10 place for a post round cold beer.

Here are a few pics from SDR:

3 Likes

Hello New Mexico peeps, myself and another Phoenix area refugee will be in ABQ next Saturday and Sunday for our roost regional, and we will be playing a 9 hole practice round at Arroyo around 2pm if anyone local wants to join.

Also, I have a former college teammate on the visiting Salt Lake Bees, and can get tix to the 6:35pm Isotopes game if anyone is interested in that as well.

Semi-short notice as I’ll try to book the Saturday tee time later today, or tomorrow morning.

4 Likes

@BK34 @tbrooks you guys still planning to play the Dam 9 on Sunday?

I was planning to but if it doesn’t work out for whatever reason, nbd

Sunday the 16th right? Yeah I’m in

Editing cause I’m dumb and just had to scroll up to see it is in fact the 16th. See yall then!

1 Like

Are you in for Dam 9 only or 18 as well?

Running this back. Mid-am Qualifier at UNM is Tuesday the 1st so we’ve got 11:30 practice round scheduled for Monday the 31st. If anyone is around and wants to join feel free to grab the extra spots.

Otherwise - any Mexican Food or Barbecue recommendations in Albuquerque close to the airport/golf course?

1 Like

I’ll be working Monday but enjoy. Weather appears to be coming down (relatively) from where it’s been the past few weeks.

Down by the airport is Nexus Smokehouse, never been but heard good things. For traditional New Mexican my favorite is Cervantes off Gibson. The red chile there can be HOT. You’re also pretty close to Frontier which is a pretty iconic ABQ spot.

1 Like

Dang, I have a can’t-miss meeting mid-day or else I’d bail to play with you guys. Good luck! El Patio is a great New Mexican restaurant nearby. BBQ isn’t really my thing but if you like Nashville hot chicken and/or soul food, Nexus has a really cool, excellent menu. Edit: I see @tbrooks rec now… Nexus has two locations and I was talking about the not-smokehouse one. Haven’t been to Nexus Blue Smokehouse but it’s the same people and they know what they’re doing.

1 Like

Can absolutely vouch for el patio, really good.

Was out at UNM South today. Course was in good conditions. More wet this morning that I anticipated actually. Guy in our group was in town for the comp and lots of out of state license plates in the lot. Good luck out there!

1 Like

El Patio was awesome. Thanks for that rec, guys.

UNM was a bit soggy today even at 11:30 start and the wind potentially drying it out. But it’s in great shape the greens are awesome to putt. Hoping for a low one for my buddy tomorrow.

4 Likes

A very blah 78 with a triple on 10 (no lost ball just left off the tee, on 11 tee box after 2 shots and a lot of chipping and putting from there). Bounce back birdie on 11 and one on 15 were nice to at least have some good shots take away but he just didn’t have it yesterday especially off the tee and if you don’t drive it at UNM you aren’t gonna score.

Medalist shot a bogie free 67 which is wild to me. Course was soft and the wind was down but still wildly impressive.

Got back to Durango last night; we’ll forget the golf and remember El Patio and decide if ABQ is the spot going forward or if he should try another location.

2 Likes

I assume they play it tipped all the way out ~7600 yards? That’s crazy long when the course is soft - it seems like the seasonal pattern here in town is to water the hell out of courses during the summer heat wave. The greens are great but everything else is not. You are right, you absolutely need to drive it well there to score.

10 is such a tough hole, bordering on bad. The drive is a disaster with almost no way to hold the fairway if you crest the hill. It’s a great green for any other hole but pretty extreme for a 500 yard par 4. Ts and Ps to missing long like you guys did, that’s just brutal.

I love 15. Such a good short par 4 with many options. I’ve settled on pushing driver up the right side to leave a wedge up the long axis of the green.

Happy to hear you liked El Patio! The food is great, love that it’s an old house on the inside, and the outdoor patio is hard to beat in nice weather.