Roll Call Montana

Anaconda (Old Works) is ~80miles away. Worth trying to get over there at least once.

In Helena, I’ve played Fox Run which has an 18 hole full course and a 18 hole par 3. Haven’t played Bill Roberts (actually going to try to do a day trip over the long weekend) but I hear it’s a good, if typical, Muni. Also haven’t played the country club there.

Other than that, probably not a ton worth traveling for. Townsend is just a volunteer run little 9 holer. Very much the cow pasture golf.

Deer lodge also has a course (haven’t played that either yet) - again probably not worth the drive.

1 Like

Thanks!

I played Rock Creek Cattle Company (Deer Lodge) last time I was in town and it was out of this world, but I doubt it would be a regular thing as I got on luckily when the pro at my club called and I was allowed to play. Definitely wouldn’t be a regularly available stop.

Thanks for the advice!

2 Likes

You hit the crown jewel already with RCCC so everything is downhill from there!

Also - Deer Lodge has a course for the regular plebes in addition to Rock Creek.

2 Likes

Haha. If I could get out there again I would in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

FYI, I did end up playing Bill Roberts GC in Helena today and I really enjoyed it. Course was in great condition and had some really good holes that I’d like to get a 2nd shot at. I think between there and Fox Run, you’d have some good options in the area that wouldn’t get too boring a few times a year.

2 Likes

I like to do/daydream stupid 1 day golf marathons in MT and as I was building out a map of courses I have yet to play in Montana, I may have come up with my dumbest/best one yet:

All 9 hole courses with ~310 miles of driving from A-H. I figure best case it would take 14 hours but more realistically probably 15.

Very seriously considering attempting it next June 20th.

2 Likes

The Highline Odyssey!

2 Likes

Here in Billings, we use to do a survival blind draw-type tournament on the longest day of the year. Three 18 hole courses booked back to back, starting at sunrise and ending at sunset. We only drove 15-20 minutes between courses and lost no time waiting for t-offs. However, we still did the final holes in the dark. Obviously, that is 9- nines not 8, but with your drive times and logistics good luck! I still think it’s an adventurous attempt to beat the clock and you should try it. Good luck. Dan

1 Like

Hey guys, I’m going to be in Helena on the weekend of the 15-17, I’ll be looking for a place to play and someone to have a game. If anyone has any info for me please let me know.

I know I am responding to an oooold post but I am always looking for more people to play with. Currently on the waitlist at the Ranch Club and would love to get out and play it again before the snow flies.

Crossposting in case anyone is interested in leaving your beautiful nature to explore Idaho’s.

Played the Rock Creek sister course in Coeur d’Alene. It’s good too. Great views of the lake. Lots of infinity greens. But it’s kind of a pain in the arse layout. You’ve either hit a good ball or you’ve lost it. One of those courses that turns an off day into the worst round of your life.

Cool double ended range though.

2 Likes

For all lurkers and MT/ID/UT Nesitcles and Refugees–

See the Nest post RE: 2022 Refuge Roosts posts for more details. Seeing if we have 20 members that would be interested in the meetups/games to form a region!

4 Likes

We are small in numbers but mighty in shoveling

4 Likes

If you build it, I will come

8 Likes

It seems like there are not even a single dozen of us.

1 Like

And some of the names are a LONG way from some of the others. Not sure how many gatherings we could have when folks are 8+ hours away from each other.

1 Like

We live in MT and love driving, right?

2 Likes

I’ve literally driven 1000+ miles since Monday morning and have probably 250 left tomorrow.

4 Likes

When can I expect details about the inaugural Montana Refuge Event hosted by @Cody and @KVV? I’d like to plan my summer accordingly.

4 Likes