Interest inquiry for an Idaho camping/golf trip

Hello fellow refugees,

Inspired by the most recent season of Strapped, and wanting to show my home state of Idaho off a bit since it 1.) can be awesome and 2.) hasn’t had any NLU or Refuge coverage that I am aware of. I would love to “host” a refuge camping/golf trip to a small mountain town in Idaho called McCall. Golf wise there would be one “resort” type course called Jug Mountain ranch that is a great great track. I’ve discussed it in another thread and included a few pictures below. It’s on a literal ranch (cattle and all) tucked up against the eponymous Jug Mountain. The course is great and has some large greens/undulation/good playability for being a mountain course, and would be fun to play twice or more in a weekend. The town also has a muni with 3 different 9’s that are a delight to loop and would be walking distance of the campground. Along with the golf I’m thinking the group could delight in campfires, hikes through the Idaho wilderness, jumping in and or renting a boat on the lake, paddle boarding or kayaking the nearby streams, hitting some hot springs, and throwing a line in the water and trying to pull out some rainbows. Logistically at this point I am thinking that it would need to be a smaller group, but don’t have a number in mind until I see if anyone actually wants to do it. If people can fly into Boise with their clubs/luggage I could provide the camping gear and transportation necessary to get us up into the mountains.

At this point I just want to see if there’s any interest at all for this sort of venture. Timewise I was thinking of sometime in June but flexible. Let me know if you’re interested! Or roast me for being earnest!

9 Likes

Jug Mountain Ranch:

2 Likes

Mccall golf club:

1 Like

Mccall/lake/nature in general:

Downtown McCall
download

2 Likes

Isn’t this where all the rich people go?

You’re probably thinking of Coeur d’Alene or Sun Valley. McCall certainly has some wealth, and is growing in popularity as more people move to the state, but the town and area is still not very boujee. There’s not really any fine dining or high end retail shopping which you would find in CDA or Sun Valley area.

1 Like

Yes. As a neighboring Montanan I would be interested for sure.

2 Likes

Also - I would xpost in the roll call threads for the neighboring states for visibility

1 Like

Nice! Great to have interest and would be nice to start getting some representation for both our states. Camping feels like a good way to highlight some of the best parts of them.

Thanks for the idea. Is there a good way to crosspost? Just copy the link from the “share” button and post it?

2 Likes

Yeah - that’s the way to go.

1 Like

As a neighboring Oregonian I’m fersure interested in this

1 Like

Id drive over from Missoula for that

1 Like

@TheSwimmingPool tagging you here so that I can keep track of everyone that’s expressed interest in one place

1 Like

I’m in Salem, so it’d be a haul, but I’d be interested.

We got any potential dates?

No dates set yet. Was going to give it a few days to percolate and see if anyone else is interested before reserving the campsites. As of now I am thinking the second or third weekend in June but open to changing that based on schedules.

1 Like

Consider me interested.

1 Like

You’re almost certainly thinking of Sun Valley, specifically Allen & Company’s annual retreat there.

Not sure this trip is in the cards for me, but as a native Idahoan who went to McCall for hockey and baseball tournaments, can confirm that it’s gorgeous. Good idea @BitsandPieces01

1 Like

Alright @lazyjk @topflitetopper @406walker @brianhorne8 @TheSwimmingPool as those who have expressed interest I’d like to move forward on finding dates/sorting the logistics. Right now I’m thinking a weekend (Arrive Friday and leave Monday ideally) and am looking at June 17-20th. What do we think of that as a tentative date? Open to others but would like to book a campsite soon as they are highly coveted and many weekends are full booked or nearly full booked.

For anyone interested I am looking at the Ponderosa State Park campground. It’s fairly large and will be busy so won’t be way out in nature, but it’s on the lake and close to town/one of the golf courses so I think it makes things easier logistically and also means more time for activities since we won’t have to be driving a long way.

2 Likes

Only logistical hurdle for me will be if the USMNT qualify for the World Cup. I’m sure we’ll be in a FIFA window at some point in June, as we always are. If that’s the case, it could be a toss up on whether I’ll be around or not if we’re playing games.

2 Likes

In.

1 Like