Roll Call Montana

Big Sky has a public course that I enjoy playing - just can be more expensive during peak season than I think it warrants (~100 bucks - maybe more) due to being the only public down there. My buddy and I usually play it with a discount card you can buy.

Spanish Peaks and Moonlight Basin (where the next Mickelson match will be played in June) are private. I haven’t played either but MB is the better of the two. I don’t belong to a private course so I don’t know how easy it is to get your pro to get on either of them. Can’t hurt to ask though.

There is also the Yellowstone Club that I would think would be the toughest to get on (not impossible but probably pretty tough). From what I know though, MB is the better course and the better ask of your pro.

If you want to drive an hour or so, Bozeman itself has 5 courses - 3 private (Black Bull, Riverside, Valley View) and 2 public (Cottonwood, Bridger Creek).

Black Bull is probably the one most likely to be worth the drive and is probably pretty accessible to get on via your Pro I’d imagine. The rest are all enjoyable walks but aren’t anything to blow your socks off. I personally have a pass to Bridger Creek but I enjoy both of the public options pretty equally.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you for the insight.

Really excited to get up there.

Anyone want in western MT that wants to meet up and play somewhere? Would love to host some people out at the Ranch Club. Maybe @Jersh will join

2 Likes

Hey! I would definitely be down for that.

I’d be down to come over from Bozeman sometime fer shure.

1 Like

I would gladly drive down to Missoula for that !

@peak_Golf do you have a game you typically play in at the Villagio on the weekends ? you are a VG guy right ? If you ever have an open spot or want a 5th I’d be down to take that spot! Probably should have said something a few months back lol. I have a pass at village this summer.

I work there and play a couple days a week. I’m always up to play. I mostly just play with whoever wants to go, so anytime you want to meet up, let me know.

Just as an update for those who may find the info useful…
Spanish Peaks, Moonlight, Yellowstone were all a no go even with a call from my club.

Spanish said they only offer reciprocal from 2 clubs in the world (I didn’t ask which ones)…I assume my club isn’t one of them haha.

Moonlight you have to be staying at a cabin on property. It has to be a cabin owner with a golf membership. It is then $175/day per person to have access to the club facilities and you have to pay a green fee on top of that. So that’s a big 'ol nope too.

Yellowstone I’ve got a contact with someone that works at Discvoery. He said no chance to get on Yellowstone, it is the most private of their properties.

Oh well…
Definitely going to play Big Sky public course once or twice, then head to Bozeman to try and get on Black Bull.

2 Likes

At least you tried! I’ve never played Black Bull (the monthly rate is about $80 less expensive than my whole pass at one of the publics here) but I have to think it should be much more normal access-wise.

DLC are perhaps the biggest assholes when it comes to visitors on their courses. Gozzer is the one place in CDA I’ve never been able to get on, despite knowing the GM there. And it’s $400 member guest fee as well! :joy:

As for Yellowstone, I played Weiskopf’s Rock Creek near me and I was pretty underwhelmed. It’s all a bit Nicklaus. With nice views.

I hear you. I reached out about 4 months ago to Iron Horse in Whitefish requesting play anytime on a particular Tuesday. Mentioned that one of our head pros or D’s of Golf would gladly write a letter or make a call.

I got a form letter back in about 24 hours that unaccompanied play would not be occurring….they kindly suggested the city owned facility a couple miles down the road!

I’m making a quick trip to Idaho/Montana July 20-27 and looking for thoughts on a place to play in the Columbia Falls/Whitefish area. The two places that show up are Northern Pines and Whitefish Lake. I’m 74, 13 index but not a long hitter - 200 yards with a driver at sea level. Thanks for any opinions.

1 Like

Hey @philarkin welcome to the thread. Honestly, if you want a nice fun round, I’d recommend either whitefish (either course) or Village Greens in Kalispell (15 min down the road). There are other courses In the area if you want to test your game, but these are the 2 I’d recommend for a relaxing fun round of golf, and they’re all in peak condition right now, so your timing is going to be perfect. Enjoy your time here.

2 Likes

Whitefish sounds perfect! Thanks.

@lazyjk I am going to be in Bozeman this weekend for a wedding on Friday. What is your Saturday looking like ? Want to play some G?

1 Like

Sorry, I will be playing in Billings this week-end. It is not my t-time so I can’t invite you into it. Dan

@lazyjk hey, I’m going to be in Bozeman this weekend, I’m probably going to try to play Saturday evening around 5:00-5:30, where should I go? Any idea where I’ll be able to get on and have a good round? Also, you around to play?

Sorry, I’ll be playing in Billings with my group. Bozeman has two fun courses that you can get on- Bridger Creek and Cottonwood Hills.

Any good golf around Helena? I will be there for work at least 4-5x per year starting now. Actually heading out in two weeks but won’t have time for golf this trip.

Worth bringing the clubs when I go? Wondering if there are good tracks within reasonable driving distance.

1 Like