Roll Call - Metro NYC

its weird that they have a planned opening for a clubhouse for this year but dont have a location nailed down yet. would be something i would be interested in if its near my office.

1 Like

Don’t sleep on Blue. Played it in a MGA qualifier a year or two ago and was blown away after only previously playing Black (15-20x) and Red (10-15x).

Who’s looking for a round this weekend - preferably Saturday, maybe somewhere in Jersey? Wife’s going to a baby shower and two friends staying at our house - so I’m free to do what I like, as long as it’s not at home!

Thinking about heading out on Sunday.

Do you guys think it’s OK to have the Mrs. ride along in the cart given it’s early season?

Would it annoy anyone here if someone in a random foursome at a local muni did it?

1 Like

Nice! We’ve got a few people playing tomorrow. I’m not committed to anything on Sunday yet, so good chance I can get out again. LMK if/where you book a time.

I’m all for anyone bringing along their S/O to golf as long as it’s not a total etiquette lesson out there. One of my favorite NYC muni rounds was at Douglaston, me and a buddy paired with two older gents, one had his wife with him. She was great, fore-caddied for the whole group and was a welcome addition to the day.

From a “would I mind” perspective - let the TC way guide you. “Use your best judgement and don’t be a scumbag”

However, courses have varied policies. Often they’ll lean on their “liability” to say no or charge a cart fee. If it would ruin your/her day for her to be turned away, call first. I know that’s the “no shit sherlock” answer, but I can’t help being a pragmatic SOB.

Probably could be a whole thread just on the topic though TBH

1 Like

I’ve had a course tell me straight up “NO. You have to pay for a round if you want her to go with you in the cart.” It’s a place that i won’t go anymore just because of how they handled that inquiry.

Yeesh

Called ahead and they said as long as I pay a cart fee ($18) which is fine

2 Likes

That’s perfect. I think that’s how it should be.

If the course is dead that day, let them out free. But if the wife is gonna be taking the spot of someone who would otherwise be paying a greens fee as well, then the cart fee is justified.

And as far as other people in the group caring, if someone is really that bothered by it, then they can go screw, lol. If my wife is sitting there quietly while you play, why would that be an issue?

1 Like

$18!!!

1 Like

I know I know

(Mrs. Zip if you’re reading this - can’t put a price on it)

I’ve got a buddy coming into town on the second weekend of May. We’re planning on venturing out to Black on one day and I’m looking for a second course. I don’t want to be a Bag Tag Barry but we won’t turn that down. It has to be a course that doesn’t mind a beginner. Ferry Point is a no go. Based out of Brooklyn with access to Zipcar. Anyone have any recs?

Rock spring, Francis Byrne

2nd weekend of May being 9-10? If it was a week later you could join a bunch of refugees at Rock Spring

Pound ridge? Maybe a ballyowen? If you play that Friday I can drive and Save on Zipcar fees, assuming you have room for another :slight_smile:

You should just play Black and Red at Bethpage. If you want to go out to NJ take @ThePowerFade recs.

2 Likes

Played Rock Spring last year, I didn’t love it. I think Ballyowen might be the move, not sure what our buddies itinerary is yet, but we’ve got room for 1 more as we’re only 3. He’s flying in from Vancouver. We’re trying to convince him to fly into LGA and have him with a beer and tearing up Flushing Meadows within 30 mins of getting his bag.

1 Like

I would play Bethpage Red over Ballyowen 10 out of 10 times. One man’s opinion

EDIT: it’s also half the price, even for an out of stater

2 Likes

Anyone figure out if they are playing this weekend? Would be interested in catching some of this warmer weather.

Sorry ballyowen is a non starter for me, was rock spring in shape when you got to it?