Roll Call - Metro NYC

The course was in pretty decent shape when. I was there. I think it had to do with the 3 some I was paired with and me not playing very well. Has anyone been out to Montauk Downs? Is that worth the drive?

Played Montauk downs three years ago, and while it had potential it was in pretty rough shape (this was early June) and honestly the round was pretty forgettable. Red is playing great but I get the sense you want to try something else which I totally get. But yeah itā€™s a hike out to Montauk and I personally would not say itā€™s worth it if youā€™re just doing a day trip

Only if you want to severe disappoint @ThePowerFade!

If youā€™re willing to do the Ballyowen, you could probably hit Neshanic Valley for the same ride. Hurzdan & Fry (Same as Erin Hills, etc.) and always rated among the top NJ publicā€™s. Harbor Links in Port Washington on Long Island is one of their courses on LI too but reviews show bad pace of play issues.

New York Country Club (Stephen Kay) and Patriot Hills will be about an hour drive from Brooklyn and are upscale member for a day type places.

I love Montauk. Played there last in December and the course was still in good shape. Just had a lot of geese shit. Bunch of fun holes and a good test. Not overly long but makes you work.

I think itā€™s definitely worth the drive, especially if you are a resident. Montauk is a great place to just hang out after the round as well.

Iā€™ve played Montauk twice and I love it. In my opinion itā€™s the 3rd best municipal course after Black and Red. Itā€™s obviously a hike so itā€™s a good option if youā€™re planning to spend a day or two out east. Lots of vineyards and obviously the Hamptons is itā€™s own beast entirely.

Do you have room for one more?

Sure do! Add your name to the doc. Currently no limit although Iā€™m going to check with the course this week to see what the max can be.

1 Like

Neshanic is probably one of the best public options in the New Jersey area. A little bit far but itā€™s in great shape and really quite fun, also itā€™s a 27 hole course so you can switch it up every time and itā€™s still great

2 Likes

Neshanic Is really a special place - a bit of a pain to get to from Brooklyn but worth it. Port Washington front 9 was fun, back 9 for me was a little bit of a letdown, and yes the pace is quite slow based on the few times I have played there.

I guess one question is what youā€™re looking for from the day / round?

Patriot hills is fine, I find the elevation change gimmicky and itā€™s really an impossible place to walk logistically and I donā€™t think they let you actually.

Another option is Centennial, which I have enjoyed (lakes and meadows) and is always in great shape

3 Likes

Hi. Iā€™m new to this forum. Iā€™ve played pretty much all the courses mentioned (except for Rock Spring and Francis Byrne). Iā€™d say Montauk but it is a trek. The traffic on that road out there can be brutal. Iā€™ve missed my tee time there because of it. Iā€™ve also enjoyed Neshanic the few times Iā€™ve played it.

2 Likes

Loved the harbor links executive courseā€¦ tons of fun

If you are thinking of Patriot Hills (where my wedding reception was) or NY Country Club, Iā€™d suggest Blue Hill in Pearl River. Cheaper than either, 27 holes, and a good walking course. Pearl River has some good post-round bars too.

2 Likes

Iā€™m WAY behind on this - put my name in at #37 on the list - is that too many people?

I know of a golf club like this

7 Likes

Nope! Keep em coming!

Anyone want to play rock spring this afternoon??

Just signed up. Anyone planning on playing Saturday?

Plan for me is to play Saturday and set the tees for Sunday

(May already have them decided, unsure on how deep weā€™re getting with scorecards, so many 250-310 par 4s)

Those lengths sound sick, love it. I havenā€™t played up there at all so I may check out another course Saturday.

Some back channels discussing adding a second day for that Saturday somewhereā€¦

2 Likes