Roll Call “Chicago” (Part 2)

Genuinely curious, from both the group as paying customers and from fearless teachers like @Awol…what is your reasonable expectation for improvement from lessons? Couple strokes off the handicap? Probably more for higher cappers than less…maybe 40% handicap reduction? 18 to a 11-12, 8 to a 5, something like that.

The reason I ask is I’m considering some lessons and trying to understand a baseline reasonable expectation for improvement.

2 Likes

Are you still at The Golf House?

1 Like

My expectations was more that I would but more fairways and have a shot off the tee that wasn’t a 40 yard slice ever time.

I think if you know the flaw in your game and you go get lessons ti fix that you’ll see more success.

If you’re going to a lesson for general coaching I think you’ll get less out of it bc there are so many things that can be fixed

5 Likes

My personal expectation is all depending on the student. I try to be very transparent and blunt when it comes to setting expectations on improvement and also what improvement actually looks like. Score is not the only thing I look at personally. Ask yourself “Did I have less bad shots?” “Was my speed better with putting?”. “Did I hit less houses today?”. Find small measures of improvement and the score will follow. Confidence is key.

I have taught high handicappers that have shaved a lot of strokes and some that barely improved. The biggest difference was work ethic. Not just quantity of practice but QUALITY of practice.

Everyones goals are different and that is where we set the expectation of improvement. If a 20 hcp wants to come by for 2 lessons and thinks theyre going to be a 7 by the end of it…theyre gonna hear how unreasonable that is and why (yes this has happened to me). If someone is really harping on shaving shots then I will recommend a playing lesson to see how they play, absolutely rip apart their game, and then build a lesson and practice plan based on their weaknesses causing the higher scores.

A coach can only guide you on the proper path to improvement. It is up to you to put in the work outside of the lesson. (Coaches should still be answering questions outside of lessons and responding to swing videos). And we can tell when you do and don’t.

9 Likes

No I left late last year. I teach independently in Lisle outdoors and with Score 18 in Bolingbrook indoors. Trying to find a course to teach at for short game since Lisle is only a driving range.

5 Likes

Very insightful, thank you. Has to be wildly frustrating dealing with the guys that come to you, never practice, and wonder why they’re not any better. Upon deep further internal reflection, my wishlist for my first lesson is:

• A go-to tee shot for when the big dawg is unruly and I just need to get one in play
  • How to stop chunking wedges after driving one 300
  • When to three-jack to keep the handicap up but not so often I lose matches
  • How to maintain steady swing speed as busch lite consumption rises
  • When to press and when not to press
5 Likes

Hello Friends!

We had a few spots open up for this Sunday’s event at Eagle Springs, so jump on in if you’re interested!

4 Likes

It can be. But it makes it all the more rewarding when you can teach someone the value of practice. Doesn’t happen often but its extremely fulfilling.

1. Very underrated shot to have in the bag. People are usually more worried about having a longer shot into the green instead of hitting it into a different area code off the tee.
  2. Stop driving it 300 (joking)
  3. Hit your approach shot outside of 30 feet to the pin. Always believable to leave it 10 feet short from there and then miss (just dont 4 putt)
  4. If you ever find that out let me know. I need that too
  5. Complicated topic LOL
8 Likes

Do any of you know where to get a good loft/lie adjustment and grip change on a putter in the city? I just bought a Betti off a guy from the Minnesota roost but it feels/looks like it’s just a little off.

Honestly, I go to Dick’s Sporting Goods off Clybourn and Halsted. Pretty fast turn times

2 Likes

Are you at Riedy’s!?

4 Likes

Have you done anything like grips there? Think they would be able to get a putter grip done before Friday if I brought it in tomorrow?

1 Like

If they aren’t super backed up I would say yes. The quoted me 4-5 days for 12-13 clubs and turned them around in 4 hours.

Yeah if it’s just one club they tend to do it on site.

2 Likes

Jimmy Fallon Humor GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

4 Likes

Has this place ever discussed the incredibly strange Carriage Greens scorecard? It says “Jeffrey Epstein didn’t kill himself” and “Buy bitcoin today!” multiple times.

15 Likes

Yessir

3 Likes

Surprised one of the holes isn’t named WWG1WGA

1 Like

Is this real lmfao?

1 Like

I won’t pay attention to it until they add “JFK didn’t get shot, his head just did that”.

4 Likes