(Registration open) Northeast NIT Qualifier: The Shepherd's Open at Keney Park (8/13/2021)

Ladies and Gents,

This needs to be kicked off properly so please take a minute to enjoy the Brass Bonanza and pour one out for a legendary hockey franchise that is no longer.

The RACDG NY Metro Chapter contingent, in partnership with NLU, is proud to bring you the inaugural Shepherd’s Open to be played at historic Keney Park in Hartford, CT on Friday, August 13, 2021. With 9 of the holes built by famed architect Devereux Emmet in 1927 and a second 9 added in 1931, this course has the “Golden Age Architecture” pedigree with rolling fairways and wild greens that will test all skill levels. It’s become a favorite of mine over the past year and I look forward to hosting fellow sickos.

The event will be open to ANYONE who would like to join us that day! We have reserved 50 spots for the event but that can easily be adjusted based on demand. If we get enough interest there is potential for closing the course all day for us.

Event Details:
Where: Keney Park Golf Course (https://www.keneyparkgolfcourse.com/)
When: Friday, August 13th, 2021
Time: Tee times starting at 11am (subject to change based on demand)
Format: Net Stableford (must have a proper GHIN to qualify)
Cost for golf: $70 which includes greens fees, $5 pro shop credit, range balls and cart (if you so choose but it’s an extremely walkable course)
Cost for Food (Optional): $40 which will include a full BBQ dinner, appetizers and non-alcoholic drinks
Charity: Still TBD on what charity and how it will be incorporated into the event

Important Note: The winner will qualify for an NIT spot!

Sign up will go live on Thursday, May 6th. I will post the link in here for how to signup/pay on that day.

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me. I look forward to seeing everyone in August!

22 Likes

Keney is such a great track! Even if Hartford kind of sucks !!

3 Likes

This event is going to be great. Working on fitting this one into my schedule.

4 Likes

All, registration for the Shepherds Open will go live tonight, 5/6 at 9pm EST. You can sign up/pay here (This is our local RACDG NY Chapter website). When registration opens you will see “buy” button at this link. Please note, there will be a mandatory drop down to choose with or without food and the price will change accordingly. You can always decide to purchase the food option at a later date. Deadline for signup will be near the end of July (still TBD).

Thank you all and please let me know if you have any questions or issues signing up.

Chris

4 Likes

We are live. Please sign up here if interested:

4 Likes

Done, signed up!! I’ll be in VT for the month of August, looking forward to meeting some NE sickos :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’re about 2 months out from this event and let’s get the chatter going!

I’m currently working on the charity aspect and also in touch with people on logos and merch! IMO, the best public course in CT and would love to see us get enough to rent the place out for the day. Sign up now!

5 Likes

Signed up!

4 Likes

Alright folks, we’re 6 weeks out and it’s time to get the chatter going for this event. We now have a charity that we’re going to partner with. Hartford is one of the most impoverished cities in the country and I have reached out to the CEO of Mercy Housing (Mercy Housing and Shelter Corporation - Mercyhousingct) to offer our assistance in raising money for their organization.

I think this is the perfect opportunity to call out Boston guys who need to redeem themselves for being such insufferable humans. Get involved in this event and do something nice for charity. Maybe we can turn this into a bit of a single day Ryder Cup event!

I’m tagging the Boston guys I know (and love… shhh) to stop gloating over yet another sweep of the Yanks and put their money (and golf games) where their obnoxious mouths are.

@TheMassHacker @RobbieVogel @JShaw @arydolphin

9 Likes

@CongratsOnTheSix @AHBerg

1 Like

If I can finagle a day off I’ll get down there. I cherish every opportunity I can get to gloat and show off my entirely below average golf game.

1 Like

I would love to kick some masshole ass…Learn how to drive on 84!!!

2 Likes

I feel like all this Boston vs. CT stuff leaves out us lowly Rhode Islanders. I’ll remain neutral for now, but looking forward to seeing Keney Park - I’ve heard great things.

7 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

Rhode Islanders fall in the “New England” bucket but much more tolerable

3 Likes

2 Likes

I appreciate such high praise. I feel welcome.

2 Likes

Same here.

1 Like

Bumping this thread again and just want to provide an update on the charity component. I spoke with the CEO of Mercy Housing and they’re excited to partner with us at Keney! More to come in the next couple of weeks on how people can support the cause.

STILL LOOKING FOR MORE SIGNUPS, especially representing the Massachusetts contingent.

Below is a little summary of what they do for the Hartford area:

Mercy Housing and Shelter is one of Hartford’s largest providers of services aimed at ending homelessness. Its mission is to empower those they serve to become independent, so they may live and work with dignity and respect. Mercy provides housing to Veterans, women in recovery of substance abuse, persons living with AIDS/HIV, and others at risk of homelessness. Residents are given assistance in searching for employment, connection to healthcare services, and provide them with the skills necessary to live independently. Case management services are provided to over 100 people living independently in various apartments throughout Greater Hartford to keep them stably housed. Mercy also runs a soup kitchen/day shelter to care for those who need a meal, shower, or other basic needs. In 2020 , Mercy served 2,573 people who were homeless or at risk, helped 959 families and individuals obtain and maintain permanent housing, and provided 43,095 meals.
To learn more about Mercy Housing and Shelter, please visit our website at: Mercy Housing and Shelter Corporation - Mercyhousingct

4 Likes

Keney Park rules. Disappointed in the NYC and BOS contingents for not bringing more noise here.

6 Likes