Roll Call: Massachusetts

Granite Links has been eliminated, seems like mostly all of the locals in the thread think it’s overrated

I’ll always ride or die for DW Field in Brockton

4 Likes

Home of my career low :wink:

1 Like

Jerk

1 Like

Love Shenny. Great 19th hole too! Meadowbrook in RI is also not a bad stop.

NY is calling out Boston. I believe the quote is “insufferable humans”. Step up and defend your honor.

3 Likes

Hello I hope you are all sitting in cape traffic coming back Monday when you are reading this.
Finally pulled the trigger and made the trip out the ranch. 90 bucks have to take a cart. Course is…meh?? Somewhat interesting layout where you kind of working up and down one massive hill on both the front and back. You end up way up and on 9 and 16 you have straight downhill 500 yard par 5s that are somewhat awkward holes. Other than a few other clunky holes but not too bad. Disappointed with condition though. Nobody has ever heard of replacing a divot or a pitch mark. Bunkers were washed out but too be expected to with the rain the past like 3 or 4 days. Overall do I need to drive 90 minutes and pay 90 bucks for that course again? No. If I lived out there would I play it? Sure.

We’re booked for Red Tail, reviews seem to lean towards “great layout, conditions meh” so I’m curious to see what kind of shape it is in.

Hey guis,

I am visiting my in-laws on the cape this week and have two open spots this Thursday (July 8th) at 7:40am at Cape Cod CC in Falmouth. If anyone wants to join let me know!

3 Likes

My coworker just played Red Tail yesterday and his report back to me was not good. 2:30 pm tee time, 18 with cart was $110 I think he said, and boy oh boy was he disappointed. Said there were areas of dead turf everywhere and that it no where near deserved the price tag attached to the conditions. Also said the place was jam packed and the round took over 5 hours. Also said the group in front of him drove through a couple of fairway bunkers. What in the hell is going on at Red Tail these days? I played it 3 or 4 years ago and it was great, but I have heard after last season it has really taken a turn for the worse.

Played twice this weekend. Course is a good shape–greens are awesome even if they could have been running a little faster. My only complaint is playing the blues (a reasonable 6185 yards for a par 71) have you playing a 250 yard par 3, 200 yard par 3, and 200 yard par 3, all on the back 9. They could use to change it up a bit.

Otherwise phenomenal layout, best public golf in that immediate area. Falmouth CC is trash, Ballymeade or whatever it is now is overpriced and underwhelming, Brookside is quirky but probably second best options and well conditioned.

1 Like

I usually play Falmouth and Cape Cod CC each yearly with some friends. CCCC is so quirky, it’s a good time. Agreed on the monster par 3s though, I’ll often have shorter second shots into some of the par 5s than tee shots into the par 3s.

Falmouth - yeah, nothing special. A few holes that make you think a little, but the place is so flat.

1 Like

I played Red Tail for the first time about a month ago. I thought the conditions were actually pretty solid, but I think we were coming off a few days of rain. On the back nine there were a few holes that were more exposed to sunlight where the turf was baked out, and not really in a good way. (Can tell they don’t treat those fairways any different than the tree-covered ones that were soggy.) The layout didn’t really do much for me. A few fun holes, but not much that stood out against other upscale public courses in the area. Happy I played it once, but I can’t say I’ll be ponying up $125 to play it again.

Pace was definitely not great. The friend I was playing for had a hard out after 5 hours 30 minutes and we nearly ran up against it.

There are a few bunkers that are meant to be driven through. The huge one on 17, in particular - the cart part leads right into it and comes out on the other side. Maybe that’s what he saw?

Howdy fellow New Englanders,
A FYI that The Golfers Journal event at Hooper GC this September has sold out (in less than 3 hours).
But if you didn’t get a chance to sign up you can reach out to TGJ (via the link below) and jump on the waiting list.

1 Like

Get involved Massachusetts!

1 Like

Anyone down to play 18 at Olde Salem Greens tomorrow at 11:28??

Sooooooo… can someone please organize an event out on some of those courses on Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard, Cape Cod… would be effing sexy as hell. I’ll buy a ton of Brooks Brothers to represent I swear.

I know it’s more Maryland related… but I’m seeing the event called Holy Shirts and Pants…

I’d like it to be Fall 2022… 3-4 days sounds nice… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I really enjoyed Cape Cod CC. First thing that stood out were all of the elevation changes, made for some really cool approach shots. In particular, the approach on the 14th hole to the volcano style green was awesome. Greens were playing really firm with some big first bounces, which turned a couple would be short birdie puts into scrambling to save bogey from over the greens.

Only downside was hearing form the starter that the ownership group recently received phase 1 approval to tear the course up and turn it into a solar farm. Its not a done deal yet, but he made it seem like the big hurdle was getting through the initial approval stage. Really bummed me out, as this would have been a fun and unique course to play each year when visiting family on the Cape.

I loved the walk to 10 green. You look left and see the volcano green on the hill for 14, and then then 15 green on the hill behind that. Really cool visual that showcased the land and things to come on the back 9.

Bummed for sure that they’re closing. A local said maybe a few more years in operation before it all goes down–but with the recent approval it looks quicker. The family claimed it was not a sustainable business, which may of course be true. However given the uptick in golf with COVID as we roll out of the pandemic, it is too bad they can’t give it another go. It’s already a great track, with great bones, and a little capital investment could make it a staple on the cape in an area lacking good public golf. Will definitely be a loss.

1 Like

Agree with everything you said, except for the “area lacking good public golf”. I think the Cape actually does pretty well on the public golf front. Each town has 1 or 2 munis and I’ve personally enjoyed almost all of those courses. Captains, Old Barney, Bass River, The Dennis courses, Highland Links, Bayberry are all worthy spots.

3 Likes