YOTB Presents: The Blade Challenge

Has there been a consensus as it relates to posting attempts at the bladey-80 (or respective challenge of your choice) for handicap purposes?

If I’m out making an attempt at the challenge, and not hitting more than a 3iron, is it still OK to post my score to the GHIN app?

In theory not hitting driver should result in a higher score, and I’m curious as to if people are posting those rounds or not?

Though in my case keeping driver out of my hands at the moment might actually lower my index, so maybe it’s a moot point. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve been posting my Friday morning persimmon rounds - I’m trying score the best I can, it counts.

13 Likes

You are out playing golf, presumably from shorter tees than you would generally play, meaning that yeah, you should post it.

2 Likes

Wait. We’re playing shorter tees? I thought it was the tips for the challenge, or one back of where you normally play?

Also, how about this look for a confidence inspiring tee shot with a 3 iron in hand?

First par-5 on the front-9 at my local course.

A rare perfectly struck slight draw around the corner left me this beautiful look from 250 for my second.

In related news, my course might truly suck.

8 Likes

Just to catch up, I don’t think it matters what you do with your cap. Like Gaizi said, you’re playing to play well, so why not post it? But whatever.

And tees don’t have to be from way back.

And that tee shot makes me nervous through the phone.

4 Likes

I did not post my bladey 80 round.

I don’t think you should.

Right, don’t have to play from the tips, but the course should absolutely feel like it’s playing long. It’s not just a test of whether you can manage to hit decent tee shots with blades.

8 Likes

Correct. I was going to quote you, but I was feeling lazy. Knew I could count on you for the truth.

2 Likes

My first rounds with the Miuras have me torn. The leading edges tend to make it tough for anything less than perfect to get there.

I need some major range time and/or a sim. Need to get distances figured out so 85% is the number. I built them, which could be a problem, and they may need a little lead tape to make up for the lost Chromium.

3 Likes

The second shot is actually worse. Two trees in the fairway, trees and OB right, a sliver of a green, and a pond left and short of the green.

This is the approach shot after hooking a punch 5 around the trees.

This is the next tee shot of the consecutive par 5’s to end the front 9. Not shown is the little pot bunker sized water hazard on the right corner of the fairway.

I think this is why I was thinking the tips for my course as it measures out at only 6,200.

5 Likes

Then yes. Enjoy the back tees. Hahahaha.

Also, as a man with no command over his ball right now, hard pass.

4 Likes

Why don’t you think it’s postable? Just curious not necessarily disagreeing. I haven’t tried my hand yet but it is an interesting thought as to whether it would qualify. I don’t really see why it wouldn’t, you could certainly do the same thing with a full bag for strategy’s sake if driver / 3 wood aren’t working off the tee.

1 Like

I would consider it mild sandbagging.

Others may disagree.

I guess I generally am playing from 7000+ so having the longest club be a 4 iron makes that too long to even be enjoyable. I’m a selfish asshole and only think about myself sometimes. Lo siento.

3 Likes

What’s that shit about things happening for a reason?

Tried to order patches from a company and they ghosted me. Tried another company and they sent me some broken ass English nonsense that made no sense.

Today my boy that I’ve known for 16 years, one of my best friends who owns a screen printing company posts on Instagram that he bought an embroidery machine.

What a beautiful world.

35 Likes

let’s get to work

1 Like

I generally play from 1 of 2 tee boxes at my home course depending on the day.

My first attempt I played from the forward of those two and it felt kinda scummy so I didn’t count it. Approach shots weren’t noticeably more difficult than a normal round. I could still get to 2/3 par 5s in 2. Irons off of tees were still in fine and sometimes even better positions because I couldn’t be dumb aggressive.

Since then, moved back and it’s absolutely uncomfortable in a good way. Some par 4s that I can barely get to with 3-iron 3-iron. Par 5s not reachable and are scary holes instead of scoring holes. Pars feeling like birdies. Really stresses the short game.

I’d say push yourself! Play at least the same tees you normally play (doesn’t need to be the tips!). Embrace uncomfortable. Forget the par the scorecard says. See the course from new spots. Be a hero.

It’s only May, we’ve got 7 months left of this thing. The satisfaction you’ll get from getting it done will be proportional to the ambition of the goal.

6 Likes

Hey now. Some of us live in less than ideal areas for post October’ish golf.

8 Likes

Indeed.

In on this. I plan on doing it again at a different course, or from the next tee back. I still feel a bit slimy about my round, so I’m looking to validate. Some holes were WAY longer on approach (6 iron or higher 5x in the round), some it made no difference as I’d be hitting it to roughly the same spot anyway.

At the same time, doing it in 25-30mph wind was no joke. Hoping to be the first to do it at 2 courses.

1 Like