YOTB Presents: The Blade Challenge

Did @Joezwickl forget to log out of his burner?

I only started playing three years ago…on blades. So newcomer to playing golf, maybe, but not blades. I was born by blades and will die by the blade.

That all said, some low caps can fucking play with whatever gear you throw at them. I saw @palmerwood52 shoot even (iirc) on a short 9hole course with a single Titleist 620MB 9i. No putter. Just walked around with a ball, tee, and his damn 9i.

He should get in here and post his set.

1 Like

As a kid, I remember caddying for a few guys that had these blades. Not sure why but always liked the fact that the PW was spelled out as “pitching wedge”.

I realise I posted this on twitter but thought we need to get the 1 Iron on here to complete the set, so here it is again.

5 Likes

love it.

From roughly November until March I put away all of my “gamer” equipment and start pulling out all the old stuff I used to play, or just fun stuff I want to play, and never with more than 7 clubs. I have a number of persimmons I’ll use on occasion also. It’s just fun and teaches you to play all kinds of different shots from different places.

3 Likes

Post my set?

Go for it. I was meaning @palmerwood52 for that part because iirc he has a blacked-out set of 620s but what’re you shooting with?

21 Likes

this was my MO the last 6 months.

2 Likes

I might try a 4 club challenge. I played a quick 9 with my son a couple nights ago and shot 40 with 6i, SW, and putter. So I’m thinking if I throw in a 3i, I could have a shot at breaking 80.

3 Likes

So I had a shit day in the office and my boys were out on the course. Figured I could catch them on the back. I told them to wait on 10, of course they didn’t, so I only got in 8 holes. What a perfect time for the Bladey Eighty Dry Run. I’m not sure I’ll try an official attempt at my home course, but it was worth a shot.

It was an adventure. I’ll spare you the full rundown, but

Chipped close, easy par - par 4
Errant tee shot double - par 4
Chipped close, easy par - par 5
Birdie - par 3
Two lost ball triple - par 5
Two putt par - par 3
Three putt bogey - par 4
Two putt par - par 4

I was fighting the hook a bit, so I found myself in some sketchy positions, not unlike my driver. Did have some looks though. And the triple was on the hole I was dreading most. That’s going to be the hole I have to get through it I do it at home though.

Bit of a grab bag. Certainly not the easy success of some. Stoked to give it a real run. Good luck out there.

13 Likes

You got one!!!

3 Likes

Second one, thanks. You were there for the first one, too, dick. Hahahaha.

6 Likes

Fuck. I can’t believe I’ve done this.

5 Likes

Had a 15 footer for bird on 17.

I don’t want to talk about it. But you can piece it together.

It will happen.

1 Like

Easy or comfy?

12 Likes

Not sure if this was covered in the main YOTB-thread, but if you use some older blades (which you absolutely can), you should know that the CG is likely a good bit in the heel. A lot of the old MacGregor, Staff and Hogan irons want to be hit out of the heel.

1 Like

Comfy or comfy, comfy?

3 Likes

We regularly played my former club with only a 7 iron later in the evenings. It’s a good exercise to learn how to hit a whole bunch of different shots.

So comfy for us hosel-adjacent players, too (boratNOT.gif)

Oh hello

26 Likes