Whoop Band | NLU Group Code: COMM-43CE09

Yeah, and the back-half of this workout was challenging. Now, I hadn’t been doing a ton of core/full-body workouts lately - just rides - so maybe it just felt worse than I was actually burning, but 175 seemed low regardless.

1 Like

But he’s hardly above 80% max heart rate during that time. As your time in Zones 3-5 increases your calories burned will increase.

70-80% is Aerobic Zone and he spent less than 8 minutes in that range.

And how does that indicate that 175 is right and not wrong? All fitness trackers are just guestimates using a proprietary “algorithm” on how many calories you’re burning. Sure, there’s science around zones and why some are better to work out in than others, but Whoop’s number is different than Peloton’s which is different than Apple’s which is different than Fitbit all because they use different algorithms and info.

I’m saying given the particular HR Zones for this instance I don’t think 200 calories for 30 minutes is as wrong as it might appear. I would consider the Peloton one more suspect. And I agree with you that it’s imperfect in every application in existence.

Also my attitude is nitpicking 200 calories difference between two algorithms in one session is missing the forest for the trees and not worth over thinking it.

I would like to retract my previous statement.

The Whoop “Strength Trainer” feature is fucking sick.

And I feel vindicated that my weights sessions are a 10-12 strain and not a 4.7-6.0 like they always have been.

Which then also goes to the fact I haven’t been getting nearly enough sleep due to 10-12s being recorded as 5.somethings and my stated sleep requirement being low and that’s probably why I keep burning out and needing 10 days off to recover.

3 Likes

I have amazingly gotten five green recoveries in a row and don’t have any reds in the last week.

That’s all.

3 Likes

Well it took about 6 months of ownership for me to start lifting regularly again, but I managed to lift every morning last week M-F and again yesterday and today. I have not been using the Strength Trainer because I’m lazy and lifting with a partner with no real plan, just moving through exercises that feel good and hit the body parts we’re working on for the day.

I’m seriously impressed with the new algo as it has been auto-detecting Weightlifting each day and calculating at least semi-appropriate strain. Strains over the last 7 lifting days were 11.7 (chest), 14.7 (legs), 11.7 (back), 9.0 (shoulders), 9.0 (arms), 8.6 (chest), 12.2 (legs). I’m sure those numbers would go up a bit using the Strength Trainer but it’s good to see something more appropriate than like 6.5 after a killer leg day.

2 Likes

Validate what both apps think your max HR is. Makes a big difference and pretty much how the sausage is made. One may be lower than the other giving you different results

1 Like

Am I doing something wrong here? Or is the promo US only? I’m in Europe.

That’s the group code, not the promo code. I believe the promo code is “NOLAYINGUP”

4 Likes

Is this good asking for myself

7 Likes

Fun little follow up from last night. I think this whoop is onto something with wine affecting recovery.

4 Likes

I am a fan of them finally tweaking verbiage on recovery. Green is now “boosted”, yellow I’ve see as “optimal”.

Makes a lot more sense.

1 Like

Been thinking along these lines when I hear Will say “stay in the green” at the end of podcast episodes.

But everywhere else it’s that “earning” yellow is the goal, and then you ability to recover getting you back to green asap.

1 Like

So the long term idea is understanding how to keep your recovery boosted (clearly not sustainable) and being able to do that (easy ones are no booze, etc)

But yeah yellow is good

Hey guys have a whoop and couldn’t really find a fitness or wellness thread so I thought I’d post here. Giving athletic greens a try anyone else try it? Thoughts on it?

1 Like

Join us!

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/workouts-and-diets/13090?u=avess

1 Like

The most important thing that my whoop ever did was let me figure out how to maximize my drinking while minimize my hangover.

• Vodka and Tequila had the best recovery as long as I didn’t mix with sugary stuff

• Wine was good as long as I stopped drinking about 60-90 minutes before bed but horrendous if it was a late one

• My body hates beer

6 Likes