Western Union Communion - RACDG Norcal vs Rocky Mtn. Rohlers (4/7/23)

You guys are right. Bodegas probably not for everyone. I’ll keep it to myself…

2 Likes

$200 non-resident, $145 Bay Area resident, $95 SF resident. Love the course, but this is a bit much for me.

Yea save that for Pasa. For Saturday we just need two courses that are close enough to each other that we can get 36 holes in, ideally. Are there any other options besides Northwood/Bodega, Gleneagles/Sharp or Pacific Grove/The Hay?

I would guess if we planned on seeing Pacific we should just fly into San Jose to save some drive time.

If you fly all the way out here and two of your rounds are Gleneagles and Sharp Park you are going to be highly disappointed. They are both dog tracks.

3 Likes

You could do 36 holes at Half moon bay golf links. The ocean course and 1-2 holes of the old course have great views of the pacific, but it is pricey and not really links conditioning (I.e not firm and fast). As a result, it’s not really a favorite of our roost, but it given the views it can be quite fun for out of towners.

How is seascape? Just did some drive time numbers, if we’re off early in the AM we could theoretically hit pacific grove in the morning and seascape in the afternoon and stay in Santa Cruz Friday and Saturday night

id recommend poppy hills + pacific grove if you want to play down there twice. thats one of my favorite 36 hole days. poppy hills is awesome. the ncga rate for poppy hills is like 1/3 of the public rate which is a big help

or Black Horse/Bayonet if you want to be tracking back north a bit.

Seascape is fun but it’s not a course i would recommend for folks coming in from out of town

from south to north here are the public courses that would be worthwhile/not disappointing on a field trip imo:

pebble/spyglass/spanish bay
poppy hills
pacific grove(as part of a 36 hole day, the front 9 is very unremarkable)
Black Horse/Bayonet
Pasatiempo
Cinnabar
Baylands
Half Moon Bay
Corica Park
Harding Park
Presidio
Northwood

6 Likes

Poppy hills looks next level, quite the green fee though, could be a hard sell. Black Horse/ Bayonet looks great, reasonable fee too. Could make for a nice 36 day alongside Pacific Grove, lots of ocean views

1 Like

I think we can get you the NCGA rate.

3 Likes

If that’s the case Pacific x Poppy is 100% the play for Saturday

5 Likes

yes

i rate poppy ahead of spyglass and spanish bay. it’s my favorite public course around non pebble/pasa division

2 Likes

That’s a controversial take but not an insane one. Poppy Hills is SO good.

1 Like

Now the only question is what do with the Friday round, looked for a good handshake round. Could fly into SJ and play Cinnabar, or fly into SFO and play something around SF.

Since we’re staying around Santa Cruz, my gut is saying fly into SF and at least take in some bay scenes Friday before heading south.

Flying into SFO my vote would be Presidio. It’s a good representation of SF golf and has a lot of character. Can be tough to get tee times though. How many people would you guess come out on your end?

Think we’re going to cap it at 8 on our end, logistically I don’t want us getting over the proverbial skies.

I’ll take a look at Presidio, sounds like it fits the mold for what we’re looking for

1 Like

I think playing the north course at Corica twice will be much more fun than any of the courses in the peninsula or SF. Tron called it Sweetens meets the Old course :grinning: It really is unique and since it is so new, extremely firm and fast. You would need to fly into Oakland since it is right next to the Oakland airport. If you can fly into Oakland and fly out of San Jose, that would be :ok_hand: That said I wouldn’t do all this to play the 18 hole course at Corica. That’s an okay course.

If you fly into sfo, you could get to half moon bay pretty easily for your Friday round.

3 Likes

Presidio would give more SF character and allow some sightseeing / city exploration vs. Corica. Corica is great but I don’t think anyone is going to Alameda as a destination…

The other option is to fly into SFO, head over and do Half Moon Bay and then drive down the coast on 1 to Santa Cruz.

I agree with this, although I do think from purely a golf perspective the north course at Corica is :star_struck:. My thoughts on presidio are well known :grinning:

I second the hmb recommendation but I didn’t suggest that since it sounded like the price might be too much. I think sfo + hmb ocean would be a great Friday.

2 Likes

Half moon bay looks sick

Half Moon Ocean, Poppy+PG, Pasa would be one heck of a weekend

One thing you must do, especially since you are staying in Santa Cruz, is get breakfast burritos from Point Market. It’s cash only, but the burritos are incredible and you can watch the surfers down below while you are waiting/eating.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/hT7s8c86j5MswrXXA?g_st=ic

4 Likes