The Highlander - 9/16-9/18 @ Northland CC Duluth MN (Pairings out today? Maybe?)

58p7dp

4 Likes

Bemidji State is the p4p king of college hockey.

Watch your mouth

3 Likes

It sounds like maybe I shouldn’t come to the highlander since I know absolutely nothing about hockey.

1 Like

You should stay home, @anon24074719. Duluth is like Winterfell. Not for the meek.

5 Likes

Connor came from an assistant job at Interlachen CC down south, I guess almost everything is south of Duluth. Nice to see a young buck get a shot, the head pro at Interlachen is a solid guy and fellow Methodist alumni.

2 Likes

former AP at WBYC, and recently at Interlachen. D Ross chops. Super nice kid. Saw him at ICC less than 2 weeks ago, and this wasn’t even on the horizon yet. Excellent.

:wringshandsandgetsreadytoplayNorthland:

3 Likes

lol at the hockey chatter. Clearly, those UND bastards took the land from the Natives 380 years ago and should PAY FOR THEIR SINS!

3 Likes

Played with Norm and Brett years ago. They hit it a 100 past me all day it seemed. Lots of hockey people at NCC. Even have a St Olaf Hall of Farmer as a member! Great vid on NCC. There are spots on those greens that defy reason. 13 and 15 break uphill it seems. Breaks towards the water is useless at NCC as the water (Gitchee Gumee) is seemingly everywhere. The most amazing thing about NCC is how the membership has changed. It is young and vibrant. People laugh, drink, and play lots of golf! Damn good sauna too!

2 Likes

Actually broke 80 for the first time in competition at Northland back in high school in a downpour. Awesome video, the trick on the greens is when in doubt…everything breaks to Lake Superior.
@Lazstradamus ever make it to Cloquet? I grew up playing at the Cloquet Country Club another old Ross course in the area.

1 Like

The front nine at Cloquet is tremendous! That includes the 18th hole which was no 9. However there is great debate on the designer. Rick Shefcik who is in the NCC Crash Course (misidentified as Bob Magee by Tron) says it was not Ross but a Vardon, not Harry, the first name I cannot remember, that designed CCC. No matter, it is TREMENDOUS. Seen some crazy things happen there. I played the Invite last year. First time in many years. I love that place.

2 Likes

Still consider the OG 9 as my “Happy Place” I actually remember back in the day there were two sets of tees when it was only 9 holes the white tee was the “front 9” and the blue was the “back 9”. I actually made my first hole in one on number 4, back in the day my buddy actually slept in a tent down in the gully on that hole on a bet. I’m glad they still run the invite out of there, it was always a right of passage to play in it after you graduated High School.
I haven’t been to Cloquet since 2005 but hopefully going up there this summer.

I first played CCC in the Wood City Classic in 1975! Played the Invite several times when Steve Anderson was pro, once when John Hamilton was pro, and several times with Bill Manahan. Top ten twice with the new nine added to mix. Hitting it straight worked for me back then. Course was in great condition last year-even the new nine.

2 Likes

I was there when the new nine opened, and then proceeded to lose the grass, truly a tough scene.
Steve ran a tight ship and a good operation considering the area and demographic he was in. He’s one of the reason why I got into the golf business.
Unfortunately I heard he passed away a few years ago from a heart attack.

1 Like

Never played Cloquet (shout out Corey Millen) but will do so!

1 Like

Anyone know when the entry sign up is expected? And when entries announced? Just planning a long wandering trip which could/might/should include MN.

Never been, ope, but want to see. I’m guessing if the event is in Sept I won’t need snow tires right?

1 Like

Please tell me you’re riding your bike from Florida to Duluth

Also it hasn’t snowed any earlier that Halloween back in 1991

1 Like

@PGA_ALLTHEWAY On my way now.

4 Likes

Fun little snippet from tonight, planning a trip to Madden’s in Brainerd next month found a promo video from back in the day to show the wife and guess who showed up in the video.

A very young Panther Mike!

8 Likes

And a young Panther Chris by the looks of it. Give a shout when you’re in Brainerd, as I’ll likely be in the area.

You ever played Crosswoods?

1 Like