The Extinction at Park Mammoth Golf Club (6/3/23)

Stoked these arrived in time

10 Likes

(Audible gasp)

On a scale of sweetens shack to private club, what are the facilities like at PM?

1 Like

It’s a portable trailer for now, I think the clubhouse is set to open fall of next year and will probably be the best public clubhouse in the state of KY. For now, they’ve been focusing on getting the course up to speed, with the driving range opening this spring and stuff like the practice green and short game area being the first steps into a “proper” tournament venue

2 Likes

Is the clubhouse going to be the old resort lodge or whatever you want to call that?

No sir. If I’m not mistaken, that part of the property has a separate owner

You can see the footprint for the new clubhouse on top of the hill behind the new putting green

“Dual purpose” tee bags :face_exhaling:

6 Likes

:fire::fire::fire:

5 Likes

As we wrap up this holiday weekend, let’s keep the vibes going with another hole preview! I now bring you what I would consider Park Mammoth’s signature hole, the downhill Par 3 16th! With quite possibly the most difficult to judge distance on the course, you are presented with a ton of options on this approximately 230 yard Par 3! You could fly a long iron or hybrid onto the green, you could go full @Clings1175 and run driver through the bunker to 20 feet and have a comfy 2 putt par, or you could play it as the architect suggests and fly a mid to long iron over the bunker and let it bound down to the green!

This is very much a situation where any golfer should be able to pick a shot that they like. HOWEVA! Once you pick that shot, it’s time to execute! Once you get up to the green, this is one of the simpler green complexes on the property!

5 Likes

FORTY-SIX bags will be available for sale Friday night for those who want more than the 25 you get for participating, $15 for packs of $25

This will help us raise another solid amount to add to our event’s charitable contribution

4 Likes

Just make sure you actually fly it… @myself

BUUUUT if you miss the green, a wide open area to the right can collect balls and you’ll be hitting uphill back onto the green if you’re pin high or deeper. If you’re going to miss, short left is the miss you want (but it has to stay right if the cart path)

2 Likes

Can confirm. Just make sure you don’t early walk the par putt to extend a match….that cup is an absolute mofo. Not speaking from experience or anything….

2 Likes

Waking up in the morning and there’s only three full day until we get together on Friday, and I’m headed to play tomorrow. Let’s have a week

6 Likes

Three day work-week couldn’t come too soon after the crazy year that was last week.

Ready to golf my face off

4 Likes

playing the hole very differently than the architect intended is a good description of my overall game

4 Likes

Last I checked, you still won that hole either way! Lol

Last two rounds have been a tough scene - might have found the issue in a 200 ball range session yesterday.

crosses fingers otherwise PM is going to destroy me

Apologies in advance to my six playing partners over the course of the day who play to an average course handicap of checks notes

SEVEN.

9 Likes

I still owe you for the headcover, so I’ll have some beers and whiskey to either help chase the demons out, or to ease your pain

2 Likes

Happy to share a beverage of choice with you, but you owe me nothing. Happy to pass it on.

1 Like

Alright folks! Two holes left to go and I cannot wait for Friday to get here! Next up after the monster Par 3 16th is the second and last par 5 on the property! The 17th is another fascinating hole as well. Off the tee, you have zero view of the green. Aiming at the bunker down the left will leave an iron in your hands heading into the green, but if you go to far left, you can be blocked out by trees as the hole bends around to the left past the trees and bunker. Heading down the right is the safer bet, but requires a long tee shot and a good fairway wood second shot to get home in two.

When approaching the green, the bail out is definitely to the right with a backstop left and long that will funnel slightly offline balls down towards the pin. However, if you go to far left, there is a cart path and some nasty trees waiting for you. No matter how you play this hole, it is definitely the easier of the two par 5’s and gives you a fairly decent look at birdie!

3 Likes