The Darkroom: general photography posts and discussion

I am still in the learning/exploration phase with my XT-1. Two things I am loving so far:

The bracketing function that automatically varies settings with a quick burst of shots so you can capture the same scene with different amounts of light and noise. This is completely genius and I love it. I am going to shoot in this mode a LOT.

All the film simulation effects and “recipes” people have made online to replicate different 35mm film stock.

This is a kodak chrome replication with a bit of color boost. Straight off the camera, no edits. I struggle with making good lightroom edit presets for my photos so these film recipes are going to be huge for me I think.

8 Likes

Love the pictures. I need to know what kind of dog this is.

Good question haha. He’s a rescue street dog, so not totally sure. Some Aussie in there, maybe some boxer. Who knows!

1 Like

I’m definitely excited about the auto bracketing. I never do bracketing and really should to maximize the full dynamic range of a lot of my photos

1 Like

Team Nikon checking in. Made the switch to full-frame this year, don’t really take enough pictures/spend too much on blades to really go mirrorless. Kit consists of D750, 11-16, 35, 50, 85, 28-70 and 70-200. Trying to justify a 400mm, but damn they’re expensive. I tend to shoot more during the winter when I can’t be out on the golf course. Very fortunate being on the edge of Lake Huron to get some really spectacular scenery.

Note: no colour editing in this one. It was the craziest sunset I’ve ever seen. Picture quality is ok, but wow was it a brilliant sunset.

11 Likes

That sunset is gorgeous!!

1 Like

I went to Africa last fall and I think this was my favorite picture:

13 Likes

Probably my second fav underwater pic.

7 Likes

Quick intro but pumped this thread exists:

7D Mark ii - Can 50mm prime and 70 -200mm 2.8 III USM

14 Likes

Hope video is not interloping too much - my hobby is drone videography. This is one from last month around town.

6 Likes

Nice footage! I’ve got a fall drone footage video from Ohio.

https://youtu.be/KvewNGkrvVY

2 Likes

Your trees are much prettier!

1 Like

Thanks. I think I was just lucky and got there right as the trees were beginning to peak. It’s all in the timing

Before I devote 30+ hours of my life to watching this dude’s youtubes on lightroom, is there someone else I should watch instead? I know almost nothing about lr

Side note: This whole digital thing is still blowing my mind a bit. Ditto for mirrorless.

3 Likes

My wife did this. They have a self paced training class on Lightroom where she went from never using it to extremely proficient.

TBH I heave no idea what it costs… just like she has no idea how much my MB 620s cost that are sitting in the basement

We are happy this way!

11 Likes

Just when i think I’m never shooting F2.8 at a game, I get a PERFECT setup with a dark crowd and light uniform.

Maybe I shoot prime all of 2023?

24 Likes

YOTP- Year of the Prime???

3 Likes

This could get expensive

8 Likes

I’m in. (Retro Minolta 135mm f3.5 manual only prime lens on my fuji)

5 Likes

I’m not “All In” but as someone who hasn’t had a prime before, it’s definitely on my list of lenses to get, so I hope to be shooting with a prime this upcoming year

2 Likes