The Darkroom: general photography posts and discussion

Dear God, It'S Beautiful! - Will Ferrell In Zoolander GIF ...

2 Likes

I suppose I should also add something golf related as well. Here is one from the course that I’m a member at that just took the title for best public course in the state by Golfweek. I do their photo and video work and I love it since it combines my two greatest hobbies (and job).

I’m sure the course has nothing on the ones that many of you play at. There is some ridiculous places in the world.

11 Likes

Okay I was stuck working crazy long hours this past 4 days so I finally am able to get back to my photos. Here is Delta Lake from Grand Tetons. Probably the most I’ve ever done to get a shot. Woke up at 2am to drive to the trailhead. Hiked in the dark, in bear country, 3.5 miles up a mountain. Climbed over boulders at the end, just to get to the lake 15 minutes before the sun started hitting the peaks. Truly magical

29 Likes

WOW
Inject That Shit Directly Into My Veins GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST - Find & Share on GIPHY

5 Likes

What a way to introduce yourself! Looking forward to seeing more landscape work.

There is a golf photo thread as well: Golf and Photography

2 Likes

A couple sunset photos and then the Milky Way. First time with the f/1.4 lens. Seemed to work pretty well

31 Likes

Obviously at this point pretty much most of us will slowly back away from posting photos in here and just get a seat to the show! Awesome pics man. Damn.

4 Likes

How much do you charge for prints? Would buy.

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words! Hopefully no one is shying away from posting!

I haven’t really done prints before, but I could definitely look into it. Or if it’s easier, I could sell the rights to print the photo and send a high res file for you to print

1 Like

I’ve seen a LOT of weather photography and always wanted to invest a day in shooting a thunderstorm (maybe get a lightning strike here or there)

During a rained out baseball game on Friday, I got that opportunity - and got REALLY lucky.
Best I can say about shooting lightning, it’s basically sporadic and unplanned fireworks. You’ve gotta set a respectably long shutterspeed and just hope for the best:

12 Likes

That’s pretty sweet. Could you also set an interval timer on the camera so it takes a photo every time too?

You COULD do a full timelapse, but I like the ability to adjust my shutter speed and ISO based on the variable lighting and distance of the lightning.

Mind you - I’ve only shot it once so I’ll let you know next time haha

1 Like

Getting close to the end of the trip, but had to do a sunrise at the famous Moulton Barn

19 Likes

How many other photographers were there getting a similar picture? Yes… I’ve seen this picture before but man it never gets old to see this Photo… and you did the photo Justice! Keep them coming?

3 Likes

There were about 20 other photographers spread around. Funny/weird story, there was a guy with a large cowboy hat who just walked out in the middle of everyone’s shot to take what we called “His Tinder Profile Picture”. We were amazed someone would do that. How does everyone handle someone that does stuff like that?

3 Likes

3 Likes

7 Likes

One more good sunset (Still a couple more sunrises). Went back to Schwabacher’s Landing for a different angle at it

17 Likes

True, but also these make me want to go out and shoot more.

3 Likes

Research is your friend. I did a ton of research on locations and what works and what doesn’t for each location. Find somewhere beautiful, figure out what works for sunrise and sunset, and go. Being there in the early and late hours is the most important thing. The location does the rest of the heavy lifting

2 Likes