The Carolina Swig & Swing - 3/14/20 - DETAILS IN POST 826, RAFFLE ITEMS & PAIRINGS POST 1672

Unfortunately @Hwhite had to stay at home and play golf in the nice Florida weather instead.

The mac and cheese battle did take place, but I’m unsure of which side (pun intended) proved victorious.

1 Like

It was @therealDJ vs @LukeBoatright in the mac-n-cheese duel. There were a couple of irregularities involving @therealDJ. Too many shots (corrected during the 9), giving the incorrect match score heading to the final hole, not to mention hating mac-n-cheese.

I contend that @therealDJ intentionally gave Luke the wrong match score to get him to take his foot off the gas a little (he had won 2 straight). Dylan told Luke that Luke was 1 up when in fact it was all square. It wasn’t until after Luke had hit a putter up a huge hill from about 50 yards away that would make @Tron proud that we figured out the correct match standing. Pretty scummy move, but I guess I wouldn’t expect anything less from an anti-mac & cheese guy. Note: It had nothing to do with Luke’s 3 jack from 8 feet…nothing at all…

Honestly, it was a really fun match. The golf was sub-par but the match was fun. Seriously, both guys played like they were allergic to the fairway on the last hole.

5 Likes

@therealDJ pulled some gamesmanship BS on me too, he knows exactly what he’s doing. He will be targeted as a partner for future events.

3 Likes

preach.

3 Likes

The bucket hat is not for style it is for protection, and for that reason will gladly accept this award.

That being said it takes a lot of hard work to live up to my handle, any advice on how to dial in any semblance of a short game in order to not open with any more 4 putts as @JamesHCard so graciously pointed out would be wonderful.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I’d absolutely take him as a partner as well! I watched like 5 holes and I still can’t understand how he has a 45 deg launch angle with his driver. Not sure my brain could process that for 18 holes.

@therealDJ, although on Team Young Gui, possess the wit and gamesmanship of an elder statesman.

Watch out for this gui, Refuge.

PS: DJ couldn’t be a classier gentleman, by the way.

3 Likes

Y’all come back now ya hear?

4 Likes

haha I am flattered, same man need to make sure and chat next time!

1 Like

I THOUGHT WE AGREEED TO NEVER SPEAK OF THIS ATROCITY EVERY AGAIN.

4 Likes

I couldn’t love a guy I’ve only spent 2 hours with more than DJ. Can’t wait to play with him again and properly avenge Mac and cheese.

3 Likes

Also, shoutout to @therealDJ for the gallon sized ziploc chock full of choice stogies and your generosity with them. Delicious. Great dude with great stories to sit on a porch and have a beer with. Also, DM me your venmo so I can get you back for the stoges.

1 Like

Monroe was SICK!!

4 Likes

All of that green to work with and he puts it on the front downslope. I hit a great drive, left a SW short, walked away 4 shots later shaking my head.

1 Like

I’ll be rocking the wide brim in Aiken my man. Should have worn it this past weekend as well.

1 Like

@alexshreff and I matched up at Sifford. He took me down on the last hole. As promised, proof of payment:

6 Likes

7 Likes

Since everyone else is doing it…

I got to significantly increase the amount of Refugees I’ve gotten to play with, from 0 to 3 (I’ve now met 11 in the flesh!). And as everyone has said, it was amazing. As if I had met them all before. Had to pleasure to play with:

@Smidler - such an easy going guy, with a solid game that is trending way up. Was lights out on the green early. Kind of have some “six degrees of separation” connections that I look forward to discovering when we get to play again.

@jimithng23 - legit nicest guy. So complimentary of anything good I may have stumbled into, even when I wanted to toss my driver into the hazard. It was obvious how happy he was to be there, and it seems he just spreads joy wherever he goes.

@anon29849602 - he leads the interaction count with 2 now, and thankfully so. He pours himself into everything on here as you guys know. Never seems to be a day he’s not doing something golf related and most of it Refuge adjacent. Can’t thank him and the wife enough for hosting everyone and all the work he put into the event.

I only wish I was able to talk to these guise more during our round and the walks to our approach shots. But that would’ve required hitting it where they did (fairway where we ained) instead of where I did (usually in a fork of roots of some tree on the other side of the fairway).

Can’t wait until I get to do one of these things to completion…I’m titrating my way up.

8 Likes

It was a pleasure to play with you, sir.

The worst part of that day is when we went to the clubhouse patio and I kept looking around wondering when you would round the corner to join us for a beer, only to find out you had to boogie.

Thank you for the kind words (you shouldn’t have) and I greatly look forward to our next meetup!

2 Likes

Thank you to the chairguis @anon29849602 @tedscott @Double_Bogey_Dave @RonniepND for putting together an unforgettable weekend of golf, beer, BBQ, and good times.

I can’t say I wasn’t intimidated when I joined the refuge and added myself as an alternate a month ago, but once I started meeting everyone, I felt right at home. I should have known better because now I’m the 8th alternate for Aiken. It’s a pretty special community that’s been built here on the refuge and I look forward to being a part of it for the foreseeable future.

I can’t tag everyone i met and played with this past weekend, but it was an absolute pleasure. I look forward to seeing everyone again soon & CLT locals, lets not be strangers.

9 Likes