The Carolina Swig & Swing - 3/14/20 - DETAILS IN POST 826, RAFFLE ITEMS & PAIRINGS POST 1672

Much of the NC Refuge crew has been kicking around the idea of a meetup for a while now, and we have found the time, place, and grudge required to make it happen.

Date: March 14, 2020
Location: Dr. Charles L. Sifford Golf Course (a great little 9 holer)
Grudge: Ostensibly, which style of NC BBQ reigns supreme, even though literally no one seems willing to go to the mat for Western NC style.

We’ll get in a few loops at Sifford - we can’t completely rent out the course (yet? We’re exploring options here), but can book a block of tee times, followed by another block, so everyone can get in (at least) 18.

Following that, breweries will be visited.

Friday/Sunday golf is on the docket as well, weather and schedules permitting - I suggest a Mooresville trip on Sunday.

Do your thing, folks. Please add your name & info to the spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14sntipC60Rq2Qx_utvA6HQ9-jEabqwr06-GOsGrMM0o/htmlview

16 Likes

image https://media0.giphy.com/media/VRa3YCyi3JSWk/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51aa326999b60e5722ed60484bb8b8217aa258c92cd&rid=giphy.gif

2 Likes

Due to this forum’s penchant for arguing the same point with different language please see below for a standardized BBQ sauce description. Not perfect but standardized. (Edit: I can’t spell - chart updated)

BBQ_2

5 Likes

i’ve only tried it a few times but Alabama white sauce is digusting

Putting it on the calendar.

2 Likes

Point of order. This is a BBQ sauce table, and not BBQ table. We’re not talking the same language here.

6 Likes

modified table

2 Likes

In

2 Likes

If so, for central Texas BBQ, the appropriate sauce for the table is “none.”

5 Likes

Answer: Texas BBQ

I know, I know, Texas folks, but not sure how relevant your esteemed style is to this NC BBQ battle…

2 Likes

By making fun of it of course! Someone has to be the instigators

Raleigh NC here and… Texas BBQ > all others

3 Likes

Also WTF is wrong with Kentucky? Gross

1 Like

Source

not perfect but at least a standard

This is mostly correct now. But it is unique to Texas that many joints didn’t use to offer sauce, and even now it’s an afterthought put off to the side and not really part of the BBQ’s identity, especially in central TX. It’s sort of a point of pride to make it good enough to not want sauce.

3 Likes

Not a no sauce snob but if you have to put sauce on brisket you went to the wrong place.

8 Likes

Exactly.

Holy shit might be down there from NY, just gotta check work travel schedule

3 Likes

I created a spreadsheet to track attendees

4 Likes