Sisterhood of the Traveling Refugee Sunday Bag

The Sunday Bag just finished up an abbreviated weekend in Atlanta for an end of season Ryder Cup style tournament for our golf league. Its first round was intended to be a 5-club challenge Thursday at the 9-hole John A White golf course in Atlanta. Unfortunately it started raining as we were teeing off and it got biblical as we were hitting our second shots, so we had to bail on the round.
Yesterday I carried it for the end of the event at Bobby Jones golf course, which was awesome.
Thoroughly enjoyed my time with it and it is now on its way back north for another event this weekend.

14 Likes

Now seems like as good of time as any to finally spill the beans.

Almost a year ago I told @Soly the story of how the Traveling Sunday Bag came to be over some post round beers at the September Pinehurst meetup. Little to my knowledge, the gears had already started turning inside his head…

In December of 2019 he gave me a shout that he wanted to write an article about it for The Golfers Journal, and had already secured a spot in a future issue.

Soly and I did an interview, went back and forth on more details, and he was off and writing. Once in the hands of TGJ Editor Travis Hill (@THillTGJ), he and I worked together for over a month compiling photos you’ve all taken, listing out all the stops the bag has made in the last 14 months, sending the bag off to be professionally photographed by TGJ Photog Kohjiro Kinno, and compiling the number of miles the bag has traveled between each stop on it’s way around the world.

I was fully expecting the article to come out this winter, but little did Soly and I know that Travis wanted to pull a fast one on us and slotted it in to the fall issue, #13, instead.

That issue should be on its way to all TGJ subscribers doorsteps right now (some of you may already have it), and I can’t wait for everyone to see their stories in the best golf magazine in the world. While I was the one who retold the story of how the bag came into existence, the real focus is on everyone here that has carried it in the last year and all of the memories you’ve made along the way.

This article is just one of the many reasons the NLU crew should be proud of the community they’ve built here, proving that all the shenanigans we get ourselves into is all worth it and that we’re not “just another golf forum”.

So, after all that rambling, a final “thank you” to everyone here that has contributed in countless ways to getting the bag to where it is today - and a million more thanks for all the places it’s still yet to go.

Cheers!
:beers:

84 Likes

FYI - not to bump my name ahead of anyone but I’ll be at the Denison meetup and at the Sweetens event in September. Would be happy to carry and pass along or help in any way possible.

That’s awesome - congrats man! Can’t wait to get my copy.

2 Likes

Which I should probably let y’all know that it first was up in Minnesota for the “Northstar Shootout” hosted by @BaxterMSP. Great to see the bag again, and proud to be associated with an event where it was visiting.

@GRWhitehead’s finest spirits got us started, unfortunately the state of the world doesn’t allow for a universal “birdie nip” bottle to travel with it…

22 Likes

Damn @alexshreff when I carried the Sunday bag on the Cradle at Pinehurst with @swade, you and I’m thinking @Just-a-little-right during the first NLU trip my unsentimental self was clueless to the importance of the Sunday bag. My TGJ magazine arrived today and there was a pic of the Sunday bag taking up two pages in the middle of the magazine. Prime fucking real estate in the finest golf magazine in all of the land. Well done sir and a shout out to the NLU founders for giving us the opportunity to build this great community.
P.S. well written @Soly.

21 Likes

Congratulations!! That’s an amazing honor. It was fun travelling around Iceland as @Snellspace carried it and I took pictures. Saw it again at the Summit and it was like seeing a friend who had travelled the world with us to some far away places. Thanks for the opportunity to have been part of the story!

5 Likes

man dont tease me like that and not show the 2 page pic spread!!

sorry bro.

14 Likes

Thanks brother! Nice spread there

1 Like

They always put the staple in the worst place in those pics…

2 Likes

Appreciate all the kind words guise! It’s a fantastic article - if anyone here is not already a subscriber, you won’t be disappointed.

5 Likes

Can whoever has/controls the bag please PM me? I have a round coming up that would justify the bag, but can’t share deets publicly (yet).

Here’s the spreadsheet. Just put your name and dates on here (don’t have to put where you’re going), and whenever it’s time for the current holder to pass it off they’ll DM you for your address.

Bag is booked now through October, but November and December are mostly wide open at this point

1 Like

Just a teaser, and still in the works but looking VERY strong. Sunday bag is making an appearance at Inverness Club in the coming weeks. Can’t wait.

3 Likes

Just finished the TGJ article - my only complaint is that it was way too short! I needed like 4 more pages of stories and photos about this thing. What a very special and wonderful community we have. Mega props to all involved. Also small sidenote - unless someone else’s grandma actually fixed the bag before sending it, I think that small detail was referring to my time with the bag in Cabot, and it was actually my multitalented mother in law who repaired a pocket flap. So now you guise know the inside scoop

12 Likes

Loved the article! Great little bit of journalism, and cool to see the Asia swing get some love (helps me further retroactively justify taking up 1/4 of my suitcase with a golf bag haha). Can’t wait to see the bag again at some point and read all of the new journal entries!

4 Likes

Just finished the article. Great little write up. Has the Bag seen Prairie Dunes in the fall yet? If not, I’d love to ruck it around there before the years out.

2 Likes

What is the protocol for the rest of the year? I see that there are several people on the list without specific dates but I was thinking of bringing the bag to the War at the Shore event on 11/7. Don’t want to be a scumbag and take away from others

1 Like

If you want the bag for specific dates, put it on the sheet! Rest of the year is wide open

2 Likes