Sisterhood of the Traveling Refugee Sunday Bag

Cheers guys! I will take a look at my schedule and the upcoming season!

Heading to Scotland in October. Would love to have the bag accompany us on our tour.

1 Like

Hey Jack,

I’m hoping to have the bag just before you and take it to Ireland. As long as everything goes as planned, I would be more than happy to hand it off to you.

It works out nicely since I’m from LI, and play Bethpage frequently. We should get a loop in at Bethpage together and I can hand it off then. Also works out nicely if the Sunday Bag can make an NIT appearance.

3 Likes

I’d be down to accompany the bag on this trip to the sister course. You know, to make sure it’s in good hands and being treated properly and all.

4 Likes

This would be awesome, thank you so much and yeah always up for a loop on Bethpage - I usually play during the week early given family commitments on the weekends, but I am sure we can work something out. Thanks again and can’t wait to see / hear about the Ireland journey

lol sure, once I get myself on the schedule I’d be down to bring another Refugee out as a guest

1 Like

@Fore20 is the gui that carried it at the Cardinal, so it’s only fitting

3 Likes

I was wondering who put that card in there. @Fore20 what was the story behind that round?

@alexshreff came through GSO on his way to the NLU Event in Pinehurst and we met up and played a round at The Cardinal

i gave him the option of a few places, but since he had never played a Pete Dye course, so he wanted to cross that experience off his list

1 Like

if you really feel like wasting some time…

3 Likes

damn that was enjoyable to go back and relive

1 Like

The Sludge Match will always remain one of my favorite memories

Also, fuck that course

9 Likes

That feels like an eternity ago in Refuge time

8 Likes

Hi all,

I am going on a trip to Cape Wickham and Ocean Dunes in King Island Australia on from the 3rd - 6th of April and would love to take the Bag. Given the distance from the rest of the world to Aus, I am happy to cover shipping to/from my home in Melbourne. For those that may not know the courses, CW is #2 in the Country and OD is #8, set on some pretty spectacular coastline that will photograph superbly.

Can then express ship to Scotland for the NIT Qualifier

Links for reference:
CW: https://capewickham.com.au/photo-gallery/
OD: https://golfer.com.au/directory/golf-courses/ocean-dunes-king-island/gallery/2/004032

5 Likes

Long time no update!

I’ve had the bag for probably a month and a half now, just waiting patiently in the corner for me to repair it. Between waiting for some materials and my procrastination it took a little longer than I had hoped, but it all worked out well because it got called up for duty on a secret trip to Cali right as I was finishing it (sorry to everyone who got cancelled on because of this, but I promise it’ll be worth it).

Here’s what went down:

• Ripped out the mesh side pocket, and installed a paracord strapping system instead. Wayyyy more functional and should hold up for a long time.

• Sewed in a new club divider. The old one (made from Canvas) just straight up ripped, which essentially renders the bag useless because it won’t balance well. This is made from a heavy duty nylon strap that definitely won’t rip, I just hope the stitches hold up.

• Lastly I went around and fixed a few pocket flaps that were starting to get a little loose. Nothing in danger of ripping off, but wanted it to be ready to rock for the 2020 travels. Did them by hand because the rigged look of hand stitches really add to the aesthetic (but also because it wouldn’t work on a sewing machine)

Also washed the towel, took out a bunch of junk filling up the pockets (tees, balls, etc.) and did a bunch of general maintenance. She’s good as new and ready to rock.

I thought about ripping off and replacing the handle, strap attachment, and all of the other little parts and pieces that look crude and flimsy, but decided against it. They’re all holding up really well, and the crappy materials (and in some cases craftsmanship) is partly what gives the bag it’s charm. It doesn’t need to look like a Seamus or a Mac - it just needs to work. And it does that perfectly.

Really enjoyed catching up on the notebook and going through scorecards. Was a great juxtaposition reading notes on a trip to India while looking through a Pasatiempo yardage book.
Only thing left to do: it needs a new notebook before Scotland. I will buy one and send it to someone that has it over the next few weeks so we can fill it up with more epic stories.

There is a chance I will need a volunteer to take the bag next week for a quick trip due to someone having a cancellation…more on that if need be, but wanted to throw it out there now.

Cheers!

42 Likes

Should the book be digitized (phone photos in a G-drive or thread are fine), or should reading that be reserved for those who have carried your funbag?

3 Likes

Great thought. I think once the notebook is pulled out of commission, it would be great to post all of the entries here, or somewhere else for everyone to enjoy

6 Likes

If we’re posting photos of the full notebook, can we redact names? I don’t mind people knowing who I am from events or the like, but I try to avoid just flat-out saying who I am on here.

8 Likes

Heartiest and most heartfelt CHEERS to this whole endeavor. Maintenance/updates look awesome (the mesh provided a good color contrast on the side but really only worked for dropping a found ball in there while playing a hole), and can’t wait to see the Cali project, whatever it is! Is it weird to say that I can still picture the exact feel of the canvas and the weight of the bag when I picked it up? It just felt… sniff … so right.

2 Likes