Second City Golf Club vs. Fresh Coast Flock (Grand Rapids, July 2022)

3:30 start at The Mines should be good for you but there will be no time to mess around in between Pilgrims and The Mines. It is a solid 30-35 minute drive. If you have any delay at Pilgrims you will be up against it.

2 Likes

It’s about a 30 min drive from pilgrims run to the mines. Assuming rounds take 4 hours (likely 4.5) I don’t think you could really get earlier than 3pm tee times, and likely closer to 330 or 4. I’d plan at least an hour between ending on 18 at pilgrim’s run and tee off at the mines (pack up at PR, 30 min drive to the mines, check in, get to 1st tee).

1 Like

Is there decent golf closer to Pilgrim’s on that north side of town?

Cedar Chase looks halfway decent, but we’ll need some flock input on that one

We could pivot Mines to an optional Friday round.

1 Like

A 4.5 hour round at the 10 tee time gives a 2:30 finish. Gives one hour to get to The Mines. It should work. Hopefully with it being match play, it won’t take as long. If every match just tees off the afternoon in the same order as the morning, it could work.

EDIT: The late matches would be pushing dark yes, but if sunset is at 9:10, you usually have about 10-15 mins more before it’s too dark to play. Any delays at either course and you’d be for sure up against it. Sorry, can’t speak to any other golf in the area. Never played in Grand Rapids area. Yet!

2 Likes

I will email to push the start of the Mines block to 3:30 unless a Michigander recommends another course north of town.

2 Likes

So we’re just going to play against the same people we do in the morning?
Kinda kills the Ryder Cup/meet new refugees vibe.

1 Like

can we flip pilgrims to the afternoon and do the mines in the morning?

5 Likes

I would recommend either Cedar Chase or the Falls at Barber Creek, you can get to either one in less than 15 minutes. Cedar can be screeched long depending on tee selection (nice mix of heather and sand on the perimeter roughs too) , while the Falls has a few holes that with a nice drive are drivable par fours. Either one would make for interesting match’s

This is true, I didn’t think about that for whatever reason. Welp.

Maybe have the FCF keep their tee time order (off first in the morning, off first in the afternoon) and the SCGC swap (1st AM pairing goes off 2nd, 2nd goes 1st. 3rd goes 4th, 4th goes 3rd, and so on).

But yeah, if possible, flipping Pilgrim’s Run and Mines would be a better solution imho.

Edit: I’d like to add that I don’t think this is a deal breaker that necessitates a change in venue. Still gives the last group 4:40 to finish. Not the worst thing in the world to have a later wake-up call after Friday night’s festivities.

5 Likes

Tourist_Sauce_Michigan_Episode_3_Grand_Rapids

You’re gonna summon sarge with that kinda talk

4 Likes

First round of the day being at the Mines does make a lot of sense. It’s gonna be ~10 minutes from everyone’s Airbnbs if everyone is staying in town versus the ~40 that Pilgrim’s is. If the Mines pro can get us a block starting at 9 or earlier we’ll flip it.

5 Likes

I wish I could chime in here but this whole area is beyond me. The only thing I do know for sure is that it stay light out super late being so close to the time change. But, in a logical way, playing the closer course first does sound like a better decision. That might just be me though.

As a GR local, I would try and get Mines first. Their pace there is much better. Maybe I always play at the wrong time, but Pilgrims is almost never faster than 4.5 hours and wouldn’t want to rely on a fast round in order to make another. Plus, Pilgrims can quickly separate how well people are playing, so a lot of matches might not make it to 18 which is good for daylight.

3 Likes

Just need the $4.29 New Holland deposit from the following:

@TCRBrad @Jalspurg @TheFarmer @KMo0.0

@EthanConroy419 on Vemno, last 4 digits are 7993

3 Likes

Sorry for the delay. Just sent the venmo. Thanks!

1 Like

Bid!!

sent!

1 Like