Second City Golf Club vs. Fresh Coast Flock (Grand Rapids, July 2022)

The 2CGC is working on a trophy for this tournament - it will be cooler than half the trophies they give out on the PGA tour (pretty low bar if you ask me). It will be revealed at the time of the tournament and it could be something that our roosts play for every year, alternating hosts.

I think we have to come up with a name for it :

1. 2CGC vs FCF Cup
  2. The Claret Vase
  3. The Jug Cup
  4. The Claret Jug Cup Vase
  5. The Captain’s Cup / Jug / Vase
  6. TORS Cup (The Other Roost Sucked)
  7. ??? Something beer related???

Looking for ideas on what to put on it.

4 Likes

I like the Claret Jug Cup Vase, lol

3 Likes

Beer related idea from @AlCzervik - “The Growler”

8 Likes

Hopefully someway to incorporate an actual growler into the trophy so it can be filled and drank from!

1 Like

“The Brewers Cup” makes a lot of sense too.

2 Likes

Can’t do a real growler, but will make sure you can drink from it… well … not you particularly, ‘cause we’re winning it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Mines is cool with moving our block to 8:30-9:40am on Saturday morning. What time should I ask Pilgrims to shift to, 2:30-3:40?

2 Likes

Cedar Chase is a hidden gem. #11 is the narrowest golf hole I’ve ever seen and makes #6 at Lick Creek look like the opening tee at St. Andrews (might be some hyperbole here)

1 Like

Good to know.

And the 6th at Lick Creek gives me PTGSD.

1 Like

#11 Cedar Chase:
Tee - Lay Up 4/5 Iron 200 yds, just short of the pinch.
2nd shot - 3 wood/ Hybrid full blast to try to get home in 2.
3rd shot - pitch out from the woods or chip on for birdie putt…
What a ridiculous golf hole.

1 Like

Completely trust you that this hole in particular is ridiculous, but hear me out:

Is switching the order of shots needed a true architectural crime? Just b/c most par 5s are driver + long iron/wood, does it necessarily make a par 5 that asks for long iron + full 3 wood a bad hole? Or a par 4 requiring a 150 yard shot, then a 250 yard shot? I guess that would depend very, very heavily on the green being receptive to longer approach shots.

Maybe it’s the painkillers talking, but I’m not completely opposed to the idea if it’s executed well enough.

3 Likes

It depends. What’s the second shot look like for hitting driver/ 3 wood off the tee instead? That’s what makes holes interesting; having an option off the tee

1 Like

Maybe that’s a better way of getting to what I was trying to say…I like the “credit card” hole as mentioned in the latest Tourist Sauce. You can take on the risk off the tee or on the approach, but you’ve gotta take it on eventually. So maybe not forcing you to hit it short off the tee, but providing two distinct options is cool.

#11 could be called a “credit card” hole because it’s about as wide as one.

1 Like

That hole is probably bad because of the tee box being pushed against the woods on the left and is 4 yards wide, it requires a perfectly straight or at best a tight 5 to 7 yard draw/fade if you hit driver/ 3wd. I lay up to short of the cross bunkers because I can usually count on hitting that club straight. I don’t have the room to hit a normal cut drive.

Jumping in this thread to give updates:

Saturday AM session: Mines, tee time block between 8:30-9:40am.
Saturday PM session: Pilgrim’s Run, tee time block between 3-4:10pm.

Sunday singles: Diamond Springs, 11-12:10pm.

Flipped the Saturday rounds because if most of us are staying in GR proper it just makes more sense to play Mines first.

Opening ceremony stuff:
Deposit paid for the room at New Holland between 5-8pm. Meal will include two appetizers, smoked pork shoulder with two sides for dinner, and two different desserts. Cash bar. I have to give them firm numbers and our food order a few weeks out. From there I’ll ask everyone pay me ahead of time so they can run my card after the event and I’ll have the money sitting in my Venmo ready to go. If all 32 of us go we’re looking at $50.

7 Likes

My chances of playing in this received the death blow this week, not going to make it. I struck my name out in the spreadsheet, so next man up on the Michigan waiting list.

I still might be up for a Friday day trip if there is a round happening. It’s just my Saturday that is booked.

Looked at the sheet and the next up is @eatonsb - can you make it? If yes I’ll fill you in on the weekend plan via DM.

I’m in for Saturday and Sunday, still working on Friday.

2 Likes

Did a quick job to see what it would look like and it’s not awful I guess.
@EConroy419 liked it enough to ask if I could do 32 in time for July.
I could, but it would probably be like $20 for materials and my patience after it’s stops being fun 3 pieces in.
I’ll be polishing the layout a little, making sure it’s a lot more centered and square than this one.
Let me know if anyone is interested.

8 Likes