Second City Golf Club vs. Fresh Coast Flock (Grand Rapids, July 2022)

As a non native, GR frequenter I’ll give my 2 favorites.

City Built Brewing
Side Bar GR

2 Likes

Do you prefer beer, wine, cocktails or none of the aforementioned? What sort of ambiance do you favor for your meals?

For breweries I’m not a huge beer aficionado, but founders is always solid, Perrin has great beer, there’s also a cool rooftop bar called Knoop downtown that has some city views.

The mitten brewing has decent beer and excellent pizza. I recommend doing their pizza flight, which is exactly what it sounds like. Donkey has great tacos and a massive tequila selection. I’d say my favorite higher end dinner in the city is probably butchers union. If you’re playing pilgrims, cedar springs brewing is right near there with very good German food.

Terra in east Grand Rapids does a nice breakfast/brunch with a sick breakfast pizza. If you’re downtown Sundance grill does pretty good brunch.

If you’re looking for things to do, I know the whitecaps have games all the days you’re there. It’s only a couple minutes from the city and they have a great stadium for a minor league team.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Beer and cocktails. Probably looking for casual atmosphere, just three guis on a golf trip escaping their kids for a couple days. We’re staying on the east side if that helps.

@ScottC and @csun36 thanks!

Depending on where you are posting up as a home base,

Mines;

• Blue Dog Tavern, very chill with a cool menu
  • HopCat, For the beer lover that doesn’t want to be tied to one brand (also Crack fries, must have)

Pilgrams;

• Cedar Springs Brewing, the pretzel is a meal in itself
  • Red Bird, great happy hour specials

Diamond

• Railside Brewing, short hop off 131 if heading back north to GR but great menu
  • Derby Tavern (Hudsonville) straight north of DS, slider and fry flights!

Breakfast
-Real Food Cafe, get a cinnamon roll (be aware cash only)
-Westsider Cafe

4 Likes

Couple of “east” spots I like are Green Well and Brewery Vivant. If you’re downtown there are tons of bars/breweries you can just walk to. Stella’s is great for a burger if you want something very casual.

2 Likes

Great spot close to the mines is Westside social. One of my favorites

I second the real food cafe mention for breakfast, but I recommend the cinnamon roll pancake.

1 Like

Kingston Mines is the best.

1 Like

6 Likes

City Built is so damn good. More people need to know the truth about Puerto Rican food and the beers they brew to go with it.

3 Likes

So good. Great spot down there!

6 Likes

Not sure what that means — just suggesting a great music venue.

1 Like

Let’s rehash the original request

5 Likes

But yes, to those visiting Chicago (2023 Brewer’s Cup?) Kingston Mines is a great time.

7 Likes

Any 2CGC guis wanna get together next Sunday (perhaps at some bar) to watch the end of the Open and talk Brewer’s Cup Strategy?

2 Likes

Yes, yes I do.

Can this strategy include how to make me better at golf?

5 Likes

Would love to, but will be in Ohio that weekend.

We still need someone for 2CGC? Chip got clearance from legal.

9 Likes

To be fair, no one specified how far they are willing to travel from GR…

I’d suggest either the Blind Pig in AA or any of the music venues in Detroit which would all be at least an hour closer to GR than Chicago.

Edit: Charlie Wilson coming to Chene Park 7/23. Not sure if it aligns with @PTM ’s dates but going to be solid. I’ll probably be there.

2 Likes