Rustic Canyon Local Qualifier (Feb 2020)

Look, no slow play penalties were assessed on scorecards, but there are penalties nonetheless.

It’s sold out! I was really just testing Gremlin’s need and impulse control.

2 Likes

Shoutout to @Tron & @djpie for making the trip and playing with all the sickos. Feeling incredibly fortunate to keep meeting like minded folks and now friends. It’s truly unbelievable what the Refuge is and means to all of us.

It sucks that I was 1 point short of getting into the playoff, although after watching @pushdraw’s hosel adjacent shot I wouldn’t want to be anywhere close to that situation.

Thanks to my playing partners @leric90 who hits it purina and @GremlinGolfer my mental coach, we’re breaking 80 this year bro. Also, it’s a delight to watch you hit those drivers OTD. See:

10 Likes

Thought we agreed to leave that on the 9th green…

7 Likes

Listen, the rules allow me three minutes to search for a lost ball. Taking that into account, we made record time.

But seriously, closing the bar & grill with a bunch of golfers still on the course and 40 guys still drinking on the patio strikes me as a questionable business decision.

10 Likes

What’s great is how it really does encourage you to play for birdies, since that’s where the points are. You can go for it, but if you don’t pull the shot off … it really doesn’t hurt you all that much. But the reward if you do pull it off is great. And just a couple of birdies is really what it takes to get the number you need to get around quota.

1 Like

I understand the math. Im just not sure how much it actually affects strategy. If i had a coach with me reminding me thing would be one thing.

But generally im middle of fairway middle of green on almost every shot. It would be unusual on windy day to take different strategy. Im sure low handicaps can optimize strategy more effectively.

Fer sure. They didn’t really seem to understand the opportunity that we were giving them yesterday.

1 Like

The trouble is that going for birdies at Rustic is a great way to make bogey or worse. For my game it doesn’t really matter, I’m just trying to stay alive out there. But there were definitely a couple I fired at (#17 for one) that I really had no business going at.

2 Likes

7 Likes

You still won, putting on clear display that controlling your mishits is the true name of the game

1 Like

It was a HELL of a lot better than Cincy, and you were front row for that display…

2 Likes

Great pin position just absolutely goading you in to firing at it…

1 Like

Tron’s telling of how “booking the course” went down was wild. You’d think they’d be a little more enthusiastic about about filling a good chunk of a Monday midday tee sheet.

6 Likes

Obviously every player is different and the conditions make a difference as well. Other than maybe a few situations of match play late in matches I’ve never let format of the game I’m playing dictate how I play a hole too much. (Team play would be the other exception, I suppose.)

I just think the Stableford format could free everyone up a bit because you can’t lose points. So you may as well try the high risk high reward shot. Or you may as well try to ram* that putt home. Whether it’s for eagle, birdie, par, or bogey.

• Editor’s note: Trying to ram putts home at Rustic Canyon can be hazardous to your putting statistics, psyche, medal, and Stableford scores.
2 Likes

@stickforekids, non-nestical so here’s a summary, has a GREAT story about trying to book an event at Rustic for ~100 guys on a Thursday only to be told that “no, the course would not help to facilitate reserving tee times for any groups other than its men’s club”.

TC: “we’re calling to lock down probably 6-8 tee times on Monday Feb 10”
RC shop: “cool man”
TC: “so yeah, can you help us book them up?”
RC shop: “Listen man, it’s really hard to say what’s going on in a few weeks…you should just book online”

9 Likes

TC: “But the web site says for groups of more than 10 to call the shop?”

Shop: “Yeah, you should probably just book online.”

I mean, we’re probably lucky there wasn’t a random single going off in the middle of our wave. Or maybe RC is lucky a single didn’t book at 11:20 and NLU decided to move the event to Soule Park.

8 Likes

Add to this: No beverage cart. Closing down food and beverage early.

I mean, it was a Monday, but they definitely left some $$$ on the table.

1 Like

So great course with terrible staff/management?

2 Likes