Roll Call: Wisconsin - We're So Back

i just stumbled upon shop park golf course… is this a hidden gem?

sorta has refuge meetup vibes all over it.

Shoop Park in Wind Point?

Put some respect in the Pebble Beach of Racine County.

2 Likes

Had heard about this place a while back and forgot about it until you brought it up. Think Andy brought it up as an honorable mention/‘look cool but unverified’ list in his value rounds in WI article on TFE. Greens look a little small but I wouldn’t be surprised if the gem label stuck. Could definitely see it being a part of a Strapped season with Eagle Springs and Naga-Waukee

3 Likes

It’s fine. Go for the views alone. I wish they’d take out the bit of bluff brush between the course and the lake.

Grew up in Racine, but it’s been a few years since I’ve played shoop. Cool property that is completely underutilized. Would be a great candidate for a winter park type renovation. Greens are slow, small and uninteresting. Just looked a a new aerial photo and it looks like they now have fairways. Used to just be shortish gang mowed grass everywhere. Does not drain well at all. Not worth a trip but not a bad place for a quick 9 if killing time in the area.

1 Like

Sign-ups open for all the 2022 WSGA events next week Tuesday. I’m planning on playing Net Partners for the third time, as it’s been a very fun experience each year so far. Probably The Bog on June 6.

Anyone else playing in some WSGA events this year?

Planning on jumping in for the first time this year - planning on match play (Watertown CC on 6/2), State Am (Oakwood on 7/5), and Mid-Am (Janesville Riverside on 7/9-7/10). Wanted to get into the 2-Man, but is looking like I will have some personal conflicts around that time

1 Like

I’ll play the fourball, maybe the matchplay qualifier, state am and state open qualifiers though not sure where yet, mid-am, and 2 man. Maybe try to take @Syvm64’s Madison title this year and make a celeb appearance.

3 Likes

Might see you at The Bog for Net Partners. It was the only date that worked this year.

And I need to be more like @midwestgolfbum and play more competitions. I always question my game.

1 Like

I’ve seen your game. You should play more competitions, the game suits it well.

1 Like

I will say that reading through this forum over the past year has pushed me to actually go and play some competition… really looking forward to it - whatever the end result may be

1 Like

Murphy’s Law has struck my post. My partner is unable to play the date at The Bog. Looks like we’re going to head to Edelweiss in August. If anyone has any insight on the course, it would be appreciated. I’ve never played there.

It’s a nice little course that gets a lot of play from locals. If it’s been rainy, it doesn’t drain amazingly well, but well enough.

Not crazy long, never insanely fast, but almost always in good shape. When I was still living in Madison, it was a nice place to get down to and play a few times a year. On a normal day, you’ll see a few of the Nevada Bobs folks out there at some point, if you know those guys.

1 Like

One of my favorite courses to get out and play on in the southern part of the state. For qualifiers, it’s always such a fun test.

Invitation still stands from last year!

1 Like

Still working out the kinks in my schedule but it looks like I am going to try and play:

• Badgerland Invite
  • WSGA Matchplay qualifier Watertown (or maybe Reedsburg or Mascoutin)
  • WSGA State Am Qualify at Bergamont
  • Balance and Believe Invite
  • WSGA USGA Mid-Am at Blackhawk (main event is at Erin Hills so why not)
  • Madison City Tournament with @midwestgolfbum maybe
  • WSGA Par 3 Championship at SV
  • ?? Viroqua Open ?? (have heard good things)
  • WSGA Mid-Am at Strawberry Creek
  • Madison City Mid-Am
  • WSGA Two-Man at Hawks Landing

Depending on how some of the qualifiers go, I may throw a State Open Qualifier in there. Time off for work and an impending trip to Scotland for 8 days will also be a big factor.

Putting it down now makes it sound like a lot. Whew. Probably going to have to cut a few…

3 Likes

I still need Schnarr to get me the invite for this.

I’m on it. :+1:t2:

1 Like

@DWise is your gui

Yes, the Viroqua Open is a fun tournament. Mostly members with previous Viroqua residents making the trek back to their homeland.

Because of its popularity, you will likely need to know a member to sign you up in their group during the Tuesday evening lottery that takes place in mid-July. Otherwise, there may be a single opening available, but you will need to be one of the first callers the next morning at 7am.

2 Likes