Roll Call: Western New York, Lake Effect Roost sign up,

Others could give you recs on buffalo area for golf but ravenwood would be a good option. One of the better public options in Rochester and it’s barely out of your way coming from ohio.

In terms of food, you have to get a garbage plate. Everyone has their favorite but mine is at dog town. Jeremiah’s for good wings. Strange bird is a solid brewery with good food. If you know where you’re staying could give some more localized recs!

3 Likes

Appreciate the insight, Mr Poon. We’re staying in suburbs a little east of downtown. Towards Ontario, I believe. We’re definitely down to explore, though, so not super concerned about localized recs unless there’s something can’t-miss nearby

1 Like

Donuts Elite is solid for some coffee, donuts, and breakfast pizza!

1 Like

Ah on the east side! So if you’re staying in Ontario Webster, Penfield, and Fairport will be your nearest suburbs to explore. Probably not far from Greystone which is a fantastic links style course.

Food-wise it depends on what you’re looking for. In terms of local fare it’s really just the plate. Not really any other local dish of note IMO. That time of year places like Hedges on the lake are fantastic.

1 Like

If you’re already going to be on the east side, greystone is a little more out of your way but it’s my favorite public course in Rochester.

In terms of spots to just walk around with food and bars, Park Ave is probably going to be your best bet.

Also, stop into a Wegmans and gain an appreciation for how weak the Ohio grocery store game is.

If you’re gonna golf in Rochester on Friday and need an extra let me know. I’ll be in town and off work all week. Not sure what my child care situation is but I’d try to tag along.

3 Likes

Everyone here already provided some good options. Ontario is definitely a bit out there, but Webster isn’t far from there with some good options. As far as golf I would highly recommend Greystone based on where you are staying. Also, I can’t vouch for it personally, but I know they have been putting some money into Ontario Country Club lately. Rates

I would imagine every local course is gonna jack up their rates during PGA week, which is a shame because the golf you get in this area is typically a real good value.

There is also K2 Brewery which isn’t far from Ontario. Food isn’t anything crazy but if you want a place to hang and grab some beers it will do the job. Anything downtown would be way out of the way for you if you’re staying in Ontario.

EDIT: Greystone has a special section on their website for tee times during PGA week. So they are definitely expecting a lot of activity. https://www.greystonelinks.com/

1 Like

If anyone in the Buffalo area is ever looking for a game. Certainly would love to host at Springville CC. Great club and a fun atmosphere!

5 Likes

Join our WhatsApp

2 Likes
1 Like

I am in thank you!

3 Likes

If your looking to play on Friday on your way up Harvest Hill is a good option in Orchard Park 10 minutes off the thruway. If your going all the way to Rochester Greystone is your best bet. Food wise, I’d suggest getting dinner/drinks in Pittsford village Friday or Saturday night, town will be bumping, Pittsford Pub has great pub food and a huge outdoor patio, JoJo’s right next door is a wine bar and bistro with great food as well (wood fired pizzas are great, best wedge salad I’ve ever had), Lock 32 brewing company is right on the Erie Canal & Thirsty’s is a hole in the wall bar in the village that will be packed but fun!

3 Likes

Breweries: Lock 32, Seven Story, Cooper Leaf, In the city Strangebird (as mentioned), 3 Heads, Roc Brewing, Sager Beer Works.

Food: Strangebird excellent food with the beer, Dinosaur BBQ (they take reservations now), Le Petit Poutine or Old Pueblo Grill (take it to go 3 Heads Brewery is right across the street), Fiamma Centro is in that area. Pittsford Pub (there are rumors they might try to upcharge out of towners), Sheffield Tavern, Winfield Grill, Lucky’s

Irondquoit CC is doing a Palmetto style guest fee. https://www.benwilsonpga.com/pgachampionship

1 Like

Can confirm Strangebird is an absolute must, can’t miss, need to visit type of place. Also consider Hungrys/Thirstys for village of Pittsford entertainment, Pittsford Dairy is a great ice cream spot (will probably be a mad house), Jeremiah’s has locations in Henrietta/Chili/ and Penfield, would be a good option for basic bar food and drinks to catch early/late round action if the course is too crowded.

2 Likes

My recommendation as a Pittsford native…stay away from the Village of Pittsford that week. It is a tiny little area and will not handle all of this traffic well.

This is all YMMV, but here are the places that I would check out:

In the city - Strangebird, Three Heads Brewing, Peels on Wheels (Pizza), Playhouse/Swillburger, Trata

Fairport probably has the best spots in proximity to Pittsford. There is a strip of bars/restaurants in the Village of Fairport that is a great spot. It’s called the Cannery and all the places listed below are 200 feet apart and walking distance from the Erie Canal.

• Iron Smoke Distillery

• Tin Cup Bar

• Faircraft Brauhaus

• Triphammer Bierwerks

1 Like

Have been waiting for someone to give this advice :joy:

3 Likes

Damn, I need to go back to Strangebird. Went there after my round at Wild Woods and it hit the spot! Great beers and food.

2 Likes

Agree to disagree, hahah, grew up in Mendon and enjoy the chaos that ensues in Pittsford PGA week, met some players at the bars in both 2013 and 2019, traffic is a pain in the ass!

Definitely some personal preference involved. I absolutely hate crowded bars and not being able to order a drink in a timely fashion. Part of getting older and being a curmudgeon now :joy:

I also loathe running into random High School classmates at Thirsty’s and the Pub, for the inevitable, what have you been up to since high school conversation.

2 Likes

That’s a good point, the Pub and Thirsty’s are havens for the guys still bragging about the TD they threw 20 years ago on senior night. Just figured I’d mention them for the prox to the course. My typical hang out is my patio, no chance of seeing people I don’t want to see. The rest of the time it’s The Old Toad, it’s usually so dead inside that it’s raises the question of how in the hell it’s still open.

Party on colty’s patio. Tell everyone from highschool!

3 Likes