Roll Call: Western New York, Lake Effect Roost sign up,

I’m a member at Monroe and would be happy to host you at some point this year. Just let me know when.

5 Likes

My man!, so cool of you to offer, will absolutely take you up on that once the season gets going.

4 Likes

Looking for a few more roc or east guys for the match play.

1 Like

1 Like

I’m a muni boy at heart and just love playing Durand. Best bang for the buck!

1 Like

Can I take you up on this offer too? Been dying to play it and the guest fee is fair relative to some others around. All I hear is amazing things about the course!

2 Likes

Durand can be a lot of fun, but I have a hard time getting excited to play a 5-6 hour round, everything just moves so slow there.

1 Like

Monroost Invitational

1 Like

Grew up on Durand. Still play nearly every time I’m back home. $17 to walk and there are some real good holes out there!

2 Likes

2 Likes

For sure

2 Likes

I honestly feel like Churchville is the best offering from the Monroe Parks system, fun course, not really so busy that a round takes for ever, some challenging holes, and no where as near as penal as Durand

1 Like

For the sake of conversation, what about Durand would you consider penal? To me, penal involves forced carries, super tight fairways, little opportunity to recover from a bad shot. There’s definitely some tough holes out there (2 and 7 come immediately to mind), but also some gettable holes (1, 3, 6, 15) and then some quirk (17). I think it’s not easy given the yardage on the card but I’ve never thought of it as penal.

I will cosign the absolutely awful pace unless you’re gonna be first off or are wiling to chase darkness.

Full disclosure… I’ve only played it twice and each time I just felt as though the fairways were very narrow and there wasn’t a lot of room for an off day with the driver. Perhaps I just played terrible and there for I hated it, but as we agreed about the pace of play, I am hesitant to ever give it another try.

There are definitely some very narrow holes. I don’t know that I have ever played 18 well.

The greens are also pretty small.

1 Like

hand up, 18 stinks. IMO it’s the worst hole out there by some margin. Tee off down a half pipe, probably with less than driver unless you can hit a pretty snappy draw. Then lay up for a very uphill approach to a green that’s maybe 15 yards deep.

I’m willing to contend that I think it’s better than it is just because of the nostalgia. I’ve played that course far more than any other course in the world. I’ve played it with members of 5 different generations of my family, shot what was at the time the best score of my life on my wedding day there, and could easily walk through every hole shot by shot. That place for me will always be home and I’ve lived with some of the shit and the quirk for long enough that maybe it’s all just sentimental. But shit, now I’m fired up to go play there this spring!

1 Like

I still thoroughly enjoy it, especially first thing in the morning when hardly anyone is out there. It’s definitely not boring. I do wish they would put some money into, and take a few trees out.

1 Like

There’s just no arguing with that kind of history, something I’m envious of, pretty cool to be able to have that

I guess I can say that I just never really was able to make a connection with Durand, my early golf was at places like Blue Heron (high school teams course), eagle vale, grey stone, and crooked pines where my grand father would always take me. I really only started playing in the parks system the last few years, we played Churchville at least once a week, and that’s probably why I put it far above other county courses.

Gross. That course should be blown up

1 Like

Only played it because it was my high schools home course, never really cared for it to be honest, just a place I could play for free. Haven’t been back sense '05

1 Like