Roll Call: Western New York, Lake Effect Roost sign up,

Was it dry finally? How was the rough?

Go check out the traveling Sunday bag thread, I played there two weeks ago and it was ridiculous how difficult it was thanks to the thick rough and standing water everywhere. What an awesome course though! It was a great walk. I’d like to get out there sometime this weekend maybe.

Grew up in Geneseo and played around the area for 30 years, but alas I’ve relocated to the year round golf glories of NorCal.

I’m coming back in Sept for a quick trip to see my best bud and we’re playing Ravenwood.

As others mentioned, Greystone is great, and always enjoyed the conditions at Eagle Vale GC (Fairport) but it’s been a few years.

Anyway, enjoyed this nostalgic thread! Cheers gents.

It was dry enough, even in the morning. Rough was cut, but still thick. I will be down at the lake all weekend if you make it over here, let me know. I would love to meet up for a round.

1 Like

Spamming all of the roll call threads in every direction of me.

Anyone looking to play this Saturday? Have no plans and it’s supposed to be a great day.

Where are you based, Alex? All of your roll call spamming is catching my eye lol. I live in York but in actually Pittsburgh thru the weekend. Bro-law and I are planning to play somewhere Saturday morning…

I’m about 2.5 hours north of Pittsburgh in Warren, PA.

May have something else lined up right now, but will let you know tomorrow sometime if I’m still looking!

You aren’t playing Fox Chapel or Oakmont by any chance are you? Because that would heavily sway my decision…:joy:

Man I wish! With my bro-law being newish to the game, I’m not going to be pushy, so we’ll probably play wherever has the best rate.

Funny story: His company actually plays an outing at Fox Chapel every year so one of his first ever rounds of golf was there. When Fox Chapel wasn’t available last year, the poor guy and his co-workers had to settle for the Field Club (the horror!).

1 Like

Alex, my buddy Randy and I are in a paired up group at 720, but are willing to move to another slot before 8:00. It’s a hike and early and another country but if not this week, put this Rees Jones on your must play list. http://www.grandniagaragolf.com/course-gallery

1 Like

Damn, that place looks fantastic!

Unfortunately an 8am tee time in great ol’ Canada would probably mean pulling out of my driveway at 3am to give myself enough time to get across the border, so that will most likely need to wait for another time. That’s definitely going on the list though!

1 Like

Now that just sounds terrible. Rough life!

Fox Chapel is on my list of places I really, really, want to play after walking the course when the Champions Tour was there a few years ago.

It’s really gorgeous, and my absolute favorite place to play. I’ve only played there as a dewsweeper, but lets schedule an evening 18 one of these days.

1 Like

Between 3 weddings this summer, a golf vacation in 2 weeks, another golf vacation to Pinehurst, and then my own wedding, I only have about one or two weekends left between now and October that aren’t fully booked up - but I absolutely agree, I will try to find a weekend I’m free and let you know sometime.

I’m going to be in Rochester on business, anyone available to play Tuesday afternoon?

@lagforbogie @BKarre @ckrattiger @Raynorfan bumping this to see if I should pack my clubs or not. Tuesday afternoon or maybe Thursday morning?

Unfortunately I will not be available. Maybe next time you are out this way.

If you had to pick one, which one would you pick; Greystone, Caledonia or Mill Creek?

Never played Caledonia, but I love Mill Creek and think it’s a better layout than Greystone, which is nice in its own right.

Sorry, @mthoma12 but I don’t think I can make either of those times work.

As far as your question about courses to play both Greystone and Mill Creek have nice layouts and routing with some very unique holes.

I’ve never played Caledonia either, but understand they are in great shape this year (testimony from a member) and know they have a crazy good deal for public play on Monday/Tuesday with 18 plus cart and lunch for $30 before 1:00

Yeah that deal is what drew me to Caledonia. I might give it a go, hard to beat playing for $20!

Update: I played Caledonia on Tuesday, in rain no less (I could have stayed in FL for that), and it was enjoyable. Played as a single, course was in great shape and pace of play was great. There was definitely a few times knowing the course would have helped but overall a good experience. Today I played Wild Wood, it wasn’t on any must play lists but beggars can’t be choosers. I played with 3 members and we had a great time. They definitely helped steer me in the right direction on multiple holes. While not a spectacular course it was interesting. The front & back 9’s were very different; I hit driver probably 5 times on the front and only once on the back. You had to shape the ball each way, and the greens were small and diabolical. I’m going to attempt to get on Greystone tomorrow; I’m having a rough work trip. :blush: