Roll Call: Western New York, Lake Effect Roost sign up,

Lurker turned contributor here in Rochester. Figured it would make sense for my first post to be in this thread. I have a 4 and a 2 year old so rounds are few and far between, but when I get out it is typically somewhere on the east side. Ravenwood, Greystone, Blue Heron Hills, or Webster typically. Or when I mix in an invite to a private club through some work people. Got to play CCR and Midvale this year. Didn’t love Midvale, but I loved the Ross layout at CCR.

1 Like

New guy here from Buffalo.
Looks like we’re hitting balls in the bubble from now until April.
I play public all over the place - Glen Oak, Diamond Hawk, Hickory Stick, Arrowhead, Whirlpool, along with the occasional Grover or Caz and just got into single digits for the first time ever (9.4 at the end of the season).

1 Like

Hello and welcome, I do a lot of the same. But willing to go so far as Pittsburgh to play and turn around and come home once this nonsense starts. Hoping to go thanksgiving weekend in fact.

Keep an eye on this thread (just search Western New York because it will fall off the top page with no activity), there are occasional comments from people looking for a 4th or out of towners looking for a place to play.

Anyone have a recommendation for a simulator league around Rochester? I’ve never done one before but see a handful advertised around the area.

Welcome to the Refuge and congrats on the single digit. I hope that we can get some rounds in here but it seems the weather is not going to allow that. We should all look to get together for a few rounds next spring.

1 Like

not a league, but my best friend is a sports doc in pittsford and they are putting a sim / hitting bay in their new office space. might be worth checking out…(nothing on the site yet, but call and see what’s up if interested)

http://www.pittsfordperformancecare.com/welcome

Also not a league but you can rent simulator time at the new Pittsford YMCA if you’re a member of any local Y.

Anyone in the Buffalo area going to play any of the Scrambles or the two man league at Sportzone - The Grille at the Dome?

I am not but if you need a sub and that’s allowed, let us know

I’ll likely do a scramble or two but not likely joining the two man league.

Live in roc. Probably going private next yr, just not sure where yet. Open to playing wherever though with anyone.

Nice! How close are you to Greystone? Got over there a couple months ago, really enjoyed it.

20 min, cool course, really like the layout

1 Like

Hi all - I’m in Erie, Pa. and have played very little golf in WNY (only one trip to Moon Brook)…I’m making a list of courses to play in 2020 and would like to have one or two public courses in the Buffalo metro area. I’m more interested in neat architecture than fancy digs - but open to all suggestions you might throw out! I’ve poked around the interwebs and haven’t found too many good comprehensive reviews of Buffalo public golf, so hoping Refuge might help! Thanks!!

2 Likes

Architecture - Whirlpool in Niagara Falls, Ontario - just over the border. It is an old Stanley Thompson, beautifully maintained.

Grover Cleveland in the city of Buffalo hosted the 1912 US Open - it is historically significant, but the original design has mostly been lost.

Seneca Hickory Stick is the best course in the area, just for a quality golf public golf experience.

Country Club of Buffalo is a gem - if you can get on. I am also a big fan of East Aurora Country Club and it is much less exclusive.

Maybe Chautauqua Hills as well (Don Ross) but I haven’t played it yet and can’t vouch for it.

1 Like

Hey @ryan.palm! I’m in Warren. @coachmax and @iacas are in erie as well (although Erik never plays).
@jasona93 is in Buffalo and we play all the time.
If you’re ever looking to get a game in sometime and looking for a partner hit me/us up!

3 Likes

Gonna play more starting this year, but much more the year after that (daughter graduates in June 2021).

2 Likes

That sounds great – here’s to hoping it is sooner rather than later in the spring!

@jasona93 what courses would you recommend so I can finish building my list?

1 Like

Harvest Hill in Orchard Park Hurdzan Design is a fun course to play

2 Likes

All the suggestions are great so far, I really enjoy those listed today. Add Glen Oak and Ivy Ridge (links and the friendliest staff in the area) and both Legends courses in Fort Erie right over the border. My absolute favorite for conditions and interest is Grand Niagara a few minutes over the border in Niagara Falls, but it’s also the most expensive of those listed.