Roll Call: Washington DC/DMV Area

Hey All same here long time Listener new member from the area located in DC.

3 Likes

Welcome! I’ll get y’all added to DMV Roost roster, and an invitation to the WhatsApp/Discord are floating around somewhere.

As far as geographic distribution, we’ve got folks all over from Richmond up to northern Maryland and the Eastern Shore. We’ve got a couple of events coming up—May 6 at Bulle Rock and June 4 at Raspberry Falls!

1 Like

Would you mind adding me as well? Grew up in the area and currently live in DC. I can’t make the bulle rock event sadly but will try for the next one.

1 Like

I cannot imagine joining this place in the last 48 hours with all the carnage going on in various threads.

4 Likes

Hi all!!! I’m new to this community and would love to meet people in the Washington DC area to play golf and enjoy each other’s company on the course. I’ve been playing for a few years now and have an index of about 12. I have played in various places, but have recently moved to Washington and am looking for new acquaintances and opportunities to play new courses.

6 Likes

Hey Robert - just saw this thread! I’m based in DC and playing in the event at Bulle Rock this weekend. Would love to be added to the roost roster if I haven’t been already. I’ll take a look for the whatsapp and discord links as well

1 Like

Any chance you could send an updated one? Looks like its not valid

Not a problem, welcome. Capital Golf Club

1 Like

Long time listener, first time caller. Excited to join up with a Roost. Have been in the DC area for a few years but only started golfing last year.

6 Likes

Hi all,
I’m new to the Nest but have been in the central Maryland area for a while now. I’m playing in the Bulle Rock event and would like to join the Roost as well.
Thanks!

5 Likes

Welcome! Discord and WhatsApp chats

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay here, meant to come back and read out. In short, it was awesome.

It’s not Bandon or Streamsong or whatever obviously, but otherwise I have to think Ocean City is a Top 5 underrated golf destination, especially for a bros trip and especially for mid handicaps who aren’t interested in playing the absolute best courses they can.

Courses were very solid against my expectations and I was pleasantly surprised by the Glen Riddle courses given the discussion above. My favorite was probably Rum Pointe (though oddly I think the first four holes are pretty throw-away.) OCGC Newport was lovely as well though we had a lot of wind and didn’t know the proper line on a few holes , so I think we’d enjoy it more next time through.

Cambria lodging was also better than servicable, especially for the price. And have to shout out to Ruark for putting all this together for us with basically no labor on my end.

We hit the Purple Moose late night Saturday which was a delight. Also did Ruth’s Chris at Glen Riddle since we were zonked after two rounds and it was right there - was fine but I probably don’t need to do again.

Lost a nice little bit of cash at Ocean Downs but I won it back on the course so we’re gucci.

Thanks again for those that weighed in - happy to answer more Qs if anyone has them.

4 Likes

@alb @KeithLaster @Ofrygolf @_Ox and @rcola24, got you all added to the group!! let me know if you have any questions.

5 Likes

I’m going to take the opposite side of that one. I took my first OCMD golf trip this past weekend and, boy, I couldn’t have been any less impressed. OCGC was a particularly miserable experience – slow rounds, bad service, and mediocre courses. Golf at Glenriddle was good enough, but your post-round clubhouse bar is a Ruth Chris’? Not my cup of tea.

2 Likes

I was surprised to see OCGC praised by some. Personally I think both courses are mediocre and are in no way shape or form “resort” courses. Newport Bay has views but the golf isn’t really that great.

Registration is open now for our most local event of the season! Let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

“Mediocre” is generous for the Seaside course. I didn’t hate Newport, but the 2 target golf par 5s were terrible (acknowledging that the designer had the water/marsh to work around).

1 Like

6 on Newport Bay might be one of the worst holes I’ve ever played. It’s a giant middle finger to any new golfer, and there’s no strategy to the hole. It stinks and there’s no way around that fact.

3 Likes

appreciated the Falls Road rec. Was able to get out there last weekend and enjoyed the course.

2 Likes

I used this thread to help get some ideas on an OCMD trip last weekend and wanted to leave some thoughts in case anyone is doing the same. Our trip was 8 guys Thursday through Sunday. We stayed right on the water in Ocean Pines and the location was prime.

For Golf:

1. A few played Eagles Landing on Thursday and loved it. They said it was just over $60 after 1pm.
  2. Friday we played River Run, which was literally our last choice based on some things I had heard. The course was…fine. The range balls are foam and the restaurant wasn’t even open at 9 am for breakfast. At $125, this course is severely overpriced.
  3. After a night at Ocean Downs, we slept in and played a scramble round at Nutters Crossing in Salisbury. 30 minutes away and only $69 on the weekend, this course was perfect for what we wanted. Tons of gear with “The Nutt” on it too.
  4. Rum Pointe is truly an amazing course. Beautiful property right on the water and very well maintained. We got a breezy day in the 70s and could not have been luckier. While the water holes are fun, the inland holes to start the back (10-12) are the best on the course. At $190, I would play this course several times over.

Outside of the rounds, we also went into OC to play Old Pro Mini Golf and have some beers at Macky’s (which is a must visit imho). OCMD will be in the rotation for the group for while, especially in the summer off season.

6 Likes