Roll Call: Washington DC/DMV Area

Nice, that’s our Sunday. Singles matches.

1 Like

I’ll tag in @TheGolfAddict and @Golf_Hack. They are the OC/Delaware pros.

So if I’m ranking the courses it goes

1. Rum Pointe
  2. OC - Newport Bay
  3. GlenRiddle - War Admiral
  4. GlenRiddle - Man O’War

Rum Pointe - personally I like Lighthouse better but Rum Pointe is barely behind it; if the wind is down it’s honestly the easiest course in OC but even so it’s so fun to play; Birdie holes everywhere but then some holes where par is a good score

OC - Newport Bay - if I was a member at any of the OC courses it would definitely be here; great staff and 36 holes of golf. The other course, Seaside, is a old school track that isn’t my favorite but Newport Bay is fantastic, plenty of doglegs that require golf shots but some holes out on the Marsh. The finishing stretch is one of my favorites in the area.

War Admiral - I like War Admiral but it’s definitely weird in spots, especially 9, 12 and 18. It’s one of the more harder tests of golf in OC, at least for public courses in the area. Conditioning has been spotty in recent years but it’s been like two years since I’ve played it. Par 3s are all solid and 18 is a ballbuster of a finishing hole.

Man O’War - It’s honestly a pretty fun course IMHO. It’s trying to be a links course when there is zero chance it will ever play like one but I’ve always enjoyed playing it. The par 3s are all really solid and it has some really good 4s and 5s as well. If you forgot it’s trying to be a links course it’s pretty good.

If I’m given 10 rounds at each course I would go
Rum Pointe - 4
OC - Newport - 4
War Admiral - 1
Man O’War - 1

1 Like

Agree 100% with @TheGolfAddict - in fact would go 5 Newport and 5 Rum Pointe and 0 for the Glen Riddle tracks because conditioning has been horrific the past few years.

1 Like

I’m originally from Ocean City and lurk here even though I’m in California.

Rum Pointe is my personal favorite course in the area. Very fun layout with some of the best conditioning in the area.

Man O’ War is a fun track. I’d play there in the afternoons when I’d get off work in the morning when I was home from college.

I played War Admiral twice. It was fun, I want to play it again now that I’m a much better golfer than I was the last time I played it.

Personally I don’t enjoy Newport Bay. A few years ago it had the slowest greens I’ve ever played and it has some quirk to it that I don’t care for. I played it back in November and enjoyed it but I wouldn’t choose to play there over other courses.

I personally love Eagle’s Landing. Fun layout with the best conditioning in the area. Played a lot of rounds on their local card when I still lived in Maryland.

Thanks for the readout y’all - I’m pumped. Hope Glen Riddle has its act together a bit more these days, but I won’t hold my breath.

Any obvious spots you recommend to eat/booze afterward? Staying at the south end of the beach at the Cambria.

1 Like

Rum Pointe is on point!

If you have the Glen Riddle courses on the same day, you can go to Ruth’s Chris for lunch right on site

And yea. OC Newport is prolly the “low key” best course in OC.

We do! Can’t say I’ve ever hit a steakhouse between rounds but we’ll see if we can make that one happen. Time may be tight.

I’m sucker for Hooper’s - all you can eat crab among other stuff and a good vibe. Favorite places for drinks are Fish Tails, Macky’s, Seacrets (tourist destination, but it’s still fun), and Purple Moose Saloon to name a few. I’d suggest checking to make sure the places you want to go to are open. It’s technically not in season yet, so some places might have modified hours or are not open.

1 Like

Mother’s Cantina on 28th Street is my favorite place to stop by. I go there every time I’m back in Ocean City.

1 Like

Is there an updated discord link available? Colorado roost member here but in DC this weekend and would love to hop on a tee time if there are any available

Here you go: Capital Golf Club

Damn this place is just overflowing with W&L alums. DM inbound.

1 Like

DMV Refugees & Guests, I would like to present my finally-assembled DC Guest Set:

For a while now I’ve been working on a set that anyone visiting me or others in the area can use while in town. Details on how it came together can be found in this related post on the Silk Road:

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/silk-road-4-0-use-pirateship-or-gtfo/83622/6148?u=jandywlu

General Guidelines:

• Let me know if you want to use this set! Don’t care if you’re visiting the DC area for work, vacation, or any other reason. Don’t care if you’re taking it to Congressional, Langston, or TopGolf.
  • I live about 10 minutes from DCA (Reagan), happy to meet you coming off the plane if my schedule allows, or anywhere in the downtown DC, Arlington or Alexandria area (all ~15 min from me). And of course if we can manage to play together, will make the handoff at the course!
  • If you find any ProV1 or equivalently premium golf ball during your round (Z-Star, TP5, Bridgestone BX, Vice Pro, etc.), contribute it to the bag! Lost a bunch of balls and the next guest faces the prospect of just having 1-3 at their disposal? Do a future player a solid and buy a cheap sleeve of SuperSofts or TruFeels or something like that.
  • Club damage happens, it’s fine, just let me know if something gets beat up.
  • Need lady clubs? Just ask, I can probably swap in my fiancee’s Mizuno irons without too much fuss.
  • No stealing the White House towel unless you are going to the White House yourself and can get an even better towel. In that case, grab some tees and a ball marker too.

Alright, now for the fun part: What’s in the bag? When I set out to build a spare set, I resolved that the clubs all had to be high-quality or at least interesting enough that people wouldn’t be bummed about playing them. Hopefully these are exciting and quality enough that most any golfer would feel like they’d have fun playing with these and not be losing too much ability relative to their personal clubs.

• Driver: Ping G425 Max. 10.5 Degree head in a Ping Stiff 65g shaft with a Golf Pride Velvet midsize grip.
  • 3-Wood: Ping G410 at 14.5 degrees with a Ping Stiff 75g shaft and Golf Pride Velvet midsize grip.
  • Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 at 18 degrees with a HZRDS Smoke Black 6.0 (Stiff) 80g shaft and Golf Pride Velvet standard grip.
  • 7-Wood: Callaway Rogue ST Max at 21 degrees with a Tensei AV Blue Stiff 65g shaft and Golf Pride Velvet standard grip.
  • Irons: Sexy blades, duh. 3-PW Srixon DP-201 (prototypes of the Pro-100). The lofts on these are a full club weaker than most modern iron sets, with the PW at roughly 50* last time I got it checked. These are outfitted with KBS $-Taper 120 stiff shafts and Golf Pride MCC+4 standard grips.
  • Wedges: SW is a Vokey 56 degree 12D grind, and LW is a Vokey WedgeWorks custom-made 58 degree V grind. Both are in Dynamic Gold S200 shafts. The SW has a Golf Pride Velvet standard size grip, while the LW has a midsize. I know, these are close in lofts, so I might get the SW bent stronger and the LW bent a degree or two weaker to improve the gapping, but they play very differently and should provide good options around the greens, in bunkers, etc.
  • Putter: Tad Moore TM-S3 blade. Don’t let the Maxfli logo in the back fool you, this is a sweet putter. Steel shaft and original Maxfil grip that resembles a Ping Pistol. Maybe 35 inches? Haven’t measured it, but it shouldn’t be an offensive length. Happy to game this myself and swap in the Odyssey Toulon Portland with Flatso SuperStroke grip that I won from Ben’s Callaway-breakup duck race if you’re disgusted by this for any reason. Might even force you to do that because I like gaming this putter myself quite often.
  • Balls: As of right now, a half dozen ProV1 or ProV1x that I’ve found on courses in the area. As an AVX player the ProV’s are not my faves, so in here they will continue to go.
  • Tees: Assorted mix
  • Glove: A new (for now) Medium-Large MG Golf cabretta leather glove. Need a different size? Buy one and if it doesn’t get too gross, add it to the bag.
  • Tools: Ping wrench for adjusting all the wood lofts/lies to your liking, ball markers & divot tools, pencils, and a green sharpie for marking up your ball.
  • Rain gear: Senior PGA Championship marshal’s jacket (men’s size L), rain cover for the Ogio bag, spare towel of the non-White House variety.

That’s 15 clubs total, so feel free to drop one if you’re hellbent on posting a score. Otherwise take 'em all out and enjoy the options.

Anyway, just wanted it known that this set is up for grabs anytime someone has visitors, or for any refugees that wander into this thread while planning their trip to DC. Hope these get used often!

15 Likes

@sjdowne has taught you well

2 Likes

You lost me at stiff shafts.

2 Likes

WHAT

2 Likes

Anyone want to play UMD at 1150 tomorrow?

How’d this turn out?

1 Like

Hey All, Long time NLU listener but new to the message board. Born and raised in NOVA, currently live here still. Is this group mainly Dc residents, VA residents, or MD residents?

3 Likes