Roll Call: Washington DC/DMV Area

Yep. Was a member at Waynesboro CC as a teenager, but now a member at Chambersburg CC.

1 Like

I grew up near Carlisle and played JV golf matches when I was a freshman at Waynesboro Muni, next to the sewage treatment plant. Always a highlight of the year

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/binance-people-linksdao-say-they-want-to-buy-one-of-america-s-top-100-golf-courses/64557/266?u=rzindc

According to that post, there’s a DMV group on the LinksDAO discord…any crossover to this group? Still don’t totally know what to make of that thing, but I can’t help but keep an eye on it.

I think it’s bullshit but if they buy Whiskey Creek and tear down the ruins on 18 we all know who among us would drop a million bucks in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

Absolutely :rofl:

1 Like

Folks who have sent me DMs about the National Links TRoost: getting back into it now and will reach out over the weekend. Snow and plumbing issues took over my week (I’m sure I’m not alone here). I’m looking at getting a casual event organized for the spring and we can jump into the competitive things as summer kicks into gear. Stay warm for now, and if you’ve got a good idea for an event or are interested in hosting something, let me know!

10 Likes

Nothing like the smell of refuse as you try to feather a 9 iron on the 7th hole.

1 Like

I don’t remember the sewage plant, but I do remember playing a jr. tournament there and a friend got smashed in the eye when some dumbass took practice swings in the area we were all hanging out.

2 Likes

Has anyone else on this thread used the Golf Doctor for a fitting? I’ve seen people say the actually fitting is great, which I agree with. Had an awesome experience. However, I’m wondering if anyone else has run into problems after that. I’m now at 10 weeks since my fitting without clubs and he’s notoriously hard to get in touch with. Was wondering if this is “normal” timeline. I think earlier in the thread I saw @RobertHunter had gone a few years ago.

1 Like

I know a few guys on the WhatsApp have had this same exact problem. Very long delays after a great fitting experience.

1 Like

Hey folks! First Refuge post, and excited to be here. Moved to DC last September, and am a frequent single out at East. I guess this group is here to change that! I’m also a volunteer with the First Tee DC which I highly recommend for folks looking to blend golf and giving back.

Spend 8-10 months a year here in DC, and the remainder typically in Sacramento, CA or on the road for work, squeezing in golf when/where ever I can.

Hope to join the WhatsApp soon and group up with folks as the weather warms up

-Jamie

5 Likes

Welcome! What’s your go-to for a fried chicken sandwich in DC?

3 Likes

Join the chat and buckle up. Lots of good golf related discussions but some interesting non golf related content too.

1 Like

And then also some non golf related content that is really not interesting at all. We cover all the bases.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone!

This is certainly an opinion based on a limited sample size, but Lucky Buns’ chicken sandwiches are off the chain.

1 Like

I can’t speak to the Golf Doctor, but simply getting club heads from the OEMs right now can take a long time. I just had clubs take 9 weeks to get to me directly from Titleist. And they beat their estimated timeline doing that.

So I guess I’m just saying that delays of any component could be an issue given the current environment. Hope you get your clubs soon though!

I had an experience that mirrors yours, unfortunately. Great guy but I think he bites off more than one guy can chew.

In December 2020, I went for a set of irons. In college, I actually worked as a fitter myself, so while my experience completely pales in comparison to his, I knew enough that even aside from what I was seeing/feeling as a golfer, I was very impressed and pleased with him as a fitter. I ended up getting fit into a set of Ping iBlades and ordered them. I knew I needed a new driver too, so at this point I scheduled his next availability, which wasn’t until early March 2021. I was supposed to get my irons well before then.

Long story short, I ended up not getting them until my appointment for my driver. I was pretty annoyed about it. The length of the shipping sucked, but I was mostly pissed about my inability to contact him, like you said. Emails, calls, didn’t matter. When I showed up for the driver fitting and got the irons, he basically said “oh, I knew you were coming in today for driver, or else I would’ve gotten back to you” and that really annoyed me. He easily could’ve just answered an email! He couldn’t have been surprised, but I opted to order the driver I got fit into from somewhere else.

I’m not going to say I wouldn’t recommend him at all, because the fittings were both good. But if someone goes, they really cannot be in a hurry.

Also, @Swing80, Roaming Rooster, now

3 Likes

We’ll allow the admission of limited sample size and short tenure in the district.

Follow the wizened ways of @coozapalooza pronto and then we’ll stop hazing you :smiley:

Due to some scheduling issues and kids sports we couldn’t make this outing happen last fall but would love to have everyone out sometime this spring to Stoneleigh in Round Hill! Jump over to the event thread if you’re interested!

3 Likes

If (big if) you can get him on the phone, he’s been good - he was able to get my woods to me pretty quickly before I left for a trip at the holidays, and even let me take one of his “demo” driver heads when he realized he didn’t actually have my drive head in.

But…now it’s february, and I still have his driver head rather than mine, and I still don’t have my irons. He told me the irons would take longer, but maybe not this long, and as everyone has mentioned there’s no proactive communication.

So, my best answer is to just keep trying his phone at random times and hoping he picks up. If he’s not actively with a client in the simulator, he usually does, and the he seems to be pretty helpful.

1 Like