Roll Call: Virginia

How’s Woodmore been this season?! I miss that place.

The golf has been great. The course is in pretty good shape. Certainly not Congressional or anything, but for what it is, things have been good. The rough is thick and the greens have been rolling great. Very challenging course.

However, to be honest, I don’t know how long I am for there as a club. I’ve been quite frustrated at the leadership. The lack of organization with pretty much everything is honestly impressive. Nobody ever has any clue what’s going on with events, stuff like that.

We will have to see, I have a decision to make for next year. It’s tough, because I do get teetimes pretty much whenever I want and I know that is not easy to come by playing public golf in the DC area. But whether or not it is worth it, I don’t know.

3 Likes

Ha, I took two years of that nonsense. They just don’t do any of the little things right and it’s so frustrating. Glad the course is in good shape! That place could/should be so amazing.

just curious, but why do you think this?

mitchellville is like 30 minutes from alexandria and NOVA has a bunch of over priced mediocre options for public golf as a whole that you are going to drive 30 minutes for anyways

it feels more exotic when you cross state lines to play duh

4 Likes

haha, i guess so man…you can basically hit a wedge over the potomac from alexandria and be in MD so that didnt make much sense to me

Depending where he’s at in Alexandria, Laurel Hill and Pohick Bay are both only about 15 mins down 95. Going further west (Twin Lakes, Westfields, etc) are definitely 30 mins plus. Which is where you can consider going over to Lake Presidential for a 35ish minute drive. If you start going North of the city, those drives can easily turn into an hour each way.

2 Likes

right, so there are basically two courses within a 30 minute drive from alexandria proper on the VA side worth playing…that was my point

anything else is going to be at least 30 minutes…reston, fairfax, manassas/gainesville, chantilly, etc all 30 minutes plus

1 Like

That’s fair. And depending on when you’re playing either of those course, they could fit into the overpriced category as well.

1 Like

2 Likes

yeah, id put just about anything in NOVA into the over priced category…p willy a solid value but out in the cut

I play here weekly and Monacan - Shamokin is the original 18 before they added Tuckahoe. Personally, I think Tuckahoe - Monacan is the most enjoyable 18. Tuckahoe has wild peaks and valleys holes 1-3 and plays more or less right in front of you and Monocan has the best views of mountains and isn’t as narrow as Shamokin.

Just caught up on that thread and I love the idea, but with two monsters under 6 at home, I’m lucky to be able to drive 30 mins to a course up here let alone 4 hours to Roanoke. I’m in to contribute to the baseball team though, that’s an awesome cause.

2 Likes

Hey guys just moved to Dc this week and work in Falls Church, any solid course recommendations for around that area? Thanks

1 Like

“around” Falls Church? No. I mean, Jefferson is in Falls Church (Pinecrest might be, technically) but they’re both muni 9s – short and slow (FWIW, Jefferson is in the best condition I have ever seen it right now).

Within 40 minutes (no traffic)? Laurel Hill, Bull Run, Westfields are my "go to"s. Twin Lakes has 36 and isn’t terrible.

Not sure where you’re coming from, but golf in the DMV is probably going to give you culture shock. $70 minimum for a round, and the bunkers will probably be unplayable (not treated/manicured).

1 Like

Thanks man. Coming from west side of Cleveland so had some luck there. So far that’s what I’ve been told, high prices for local courses. Appreciate the response and definitely will be hitting those courses soon, hoping to meet a few people along the way.

There is a Refuge DMV group chat on WhatsApp. Let me see if I am smart enough to post a link. Stand by.

2 Likes

Most of the Maryland courses I’ve played in the past are up by Bethesda or Ft. Meade. I’m sure there are some down closer to me by national harbor, I just haven’t explored that area yet. Getting from ALX up to Bethesda isn’t bad. It’s just that Potomac is a mile and a half away.

1 Like

Nope. Can’t figure it out. Scroll up a bit in this thread. @mintbucket posted the link a few days ago. He’s 10x smarter than me.

2 Likes

I may have employed the help of a teenager to in assisting me with that post of the WhatsApp link.

5 Likes