Roll Call: Virginia

Hey folks, wanted to see if there’s any other VA golfers out there and what courses y’all play? I’m a 757 native and did undergrad at VT and Grad at Georgetown so I’m pretty familiar with golf all over the state.

A couple of favorites:
Golden Horseshoe-Gold Course
River Course of Virginia Tech
Bay Creek-Nicklaus
The Signature at West Neck
Riverfront
Ballyhack GC

4 Likes

I’m a junior at VT right now. Trying to play the homestead cascades course this spring. Love the river course. So underrated.

2 Likes

I haven’t gotten to Homestead yet, but I will hopefully this year. River Course is an absolute gem, especially during the fall.

Went to school in Lexington. I have played Cascades numerous times and it is 100% worth the drive and $.

Still live in NoVA. Belong to a private track up here, fave’s in Virginia include Spring Creek and Water’s Edge. Haven’t played the River/Dye at VT yet, and am looking forward to a Williamsburg trip to the Horseshoe next year.

1 Like

Live in Loudoun County, VA, member at LGCC, if anyone wants to play let me know.

2 Likes

Hokie myself, River Course is one of the most underrated courses in Virginia if not the east coast. Live in Richmond now if anyone wants to tee it up I am always trying to play new courses from munis to top 100.

2 Likes

Live in Old Town Fairfax.
Play mainly at Potomac Shores - great jack nickalus layout. Only have played course in the greater DMV
Want to stop at Ballyhack G.C on a drive back from playing in NC this fall.

Part of me is happy that River Course remains underrated because the vibe is so laid back and that’s what makes it so special.

Any good Virginia Beach courses someone can recommend? Heading down there in a few weeks and want to sneak a few early morning rounds in.

It’s expensive but The Signature is the best non-private course in the city. VB National is a run of the mill Pete Dye tourney course and Heron Ridge has some good character as well. Avoid Hell’s Point unless you are a masochist and feel like losing 100 balls and seeing a water moccasin. If you have time, Bide-A-Wee in Portsmouth is great. Old school muni and it is in fantastic shape.

Leishman plays out of Bayville, no idea how hard to get on. Bay Creek is supposedly awesome, but a little outside of the beach area on the Eastern Shore.

Bay Creek is incredible man. Played the Palmer course not too long ago. Carolina Club just over the border in Grandy is fun too. I personally think all of the best courses near VB are up in Williamsburg area though.

Bayville is pretty sweet and I’ve heard that’s Leish’s spot. He’ll occasionally make an appearance at Heron too.

1 Like

Can anybody tell me if the courses at Kingsmill are “good”? I’m playing there in a few weeks - would like to know what to look for and what to mock.

Have you made it down yet? The river is the best this time of year, & the plantation is in good shape. If you can get on The Woods that is my favorite.

Hey fellas,

Checking In WBG resident. Kingsmill member. River is so underrated, and the Woods course here is the best kept secret.

Hard pass on the Green Course.

Colonial Heratage is a favorite.

VMI or Dubyanell?

Washington & Lee.

Lexington actually has a pretty fascinating golf course economics case study right next door. Vista Links in Buena Vista went bankrupt during the financial crisis. The bonds issued to fund the course were guaranteed by several municipal buildings in town. The battle in court continues…

3 Likes

This is my kind of story!

It was pretty fascinating to observe firsthand. I played there from 2007-2011. As the city and course started to run out of money they cut back on chemicals, reduced mowing frequency, gave up on maintaining the bunkers and generally lost numerous fairways to deer and weeds.