Roll Call: Virginia

Thinking about teeing it up at Poplar Grove in Amherst this coming Saturday as the weather is looking incredible. Any takers to join up for a round? They’re enticing me with their new “winter rates”.

I’m scared to look what that costs, I miss the days of $65 and it included a small lunch

1 Like

Yeah I agree. It’s 86 on weekends now and 75 during week which is a little better than the 100 range they were in during regular season. I wonder how much the rate increase has hurt them. Seems like their main push now is to get members as thats the only thing they preach on their website and when you talk to someone in the pro shop.

1 Like

I mean its a great track, but its off the beaten path and in an area where there isn’t much wealth to go around right now either. I pay $52/month to be a member at my course, I don’t understand how they think they can charge ballyhack pricing for long, unless they do indeed go full private

1 Like

I live in Amherst and play at the course down the road (Winton Farm). Poplar Grove was great, but it is definitely going to the private route. The website indicated that they aren’t going to be on the VSGA card next year either. I pay $95 a month for the family and pool at my club and cannot fathom changing. Our course is always in great shape, especially for what I pay.

2 Likes

This. I haven’t played there (yet) but I feel the same way about my track up here. The design isn’t quite as unique, but the overall experience is no where near 3x better at Poplar than a normal course.

My course is right around there price wise, but I attribute that to a lack of decent options around RVA. It’s either private or dicey public. Only Independence hits the nice / public combo, and it ain’t cheap.

I paid $96 on a weekday afternoon at Poplar Grove last month, and it felt overpriced. Was definitely fun though.

2 Likes

One of these days I am going to make the 3 hour drive up there to play with you. I say 3 instead of 2 1/2 because I’m going to have to stop and pick up @needforspieth on the way.

3 Likes

Hi all, I am fairly new to the Refuge with this being my first post. I have enjoyed reading all the chirping and drama for the most part, and never felt the need to post until now. I see the recent Poplar Grove talk. I would be down to join if that gets put together. I could also host at Roanoke CC if that interest anyone. Especially if people are making the drive we could pull 27 on the the 3 different 9s at Roanoke fairly quick.

4 Likes

I was just out there with Dennis Cronk about a month ago

Round is on me when y’all make it

1 Like

Welcome! Definitely will take you up on Roanoke CC sometime. One of my friends was a pro there years ago, back when Phil was the GM. He always had great things to say about the place.

Don’t even have to stop. Just slow down and I’ll hop in with the clubs.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a fun track in pretty good shape but almost $100 for a round there is steep at the moment. I also used to play it religiously when it was around $60 so that rate increase is a tough pill to swallow for a lot of people I know who used to love to head up there and play.

1 Like

I have a tee time at the Kingsmlll River Course at 10 am on Monday. Staying there for a couple days with my family and would be playing by myself (unless they pair me up) If anyone wants to join call over and let’s play. It’s about half price of the usual.

Hey y’all I’m going to be hanging out between my parents’ place in Richmond and some family’s in Radford (s/o Pete Dye) for the holidays. If anyone wants to get out and witness my two way miss I’m game to play with anyone!

Depending on the day I maybe able to get out…

I guess I should mention “the holidays” means the week of thanksgiving through new years so plenty of days lol

Oh shoot, well yeah in that case we can def get out. I’m just off 81 in roanoke and a midwestern boy by birth so colder golf doesnt bother me either.

1 Like

I’m chipping in for gas, so add 2 minutes to drive

1 Like