Roll Call: Virginia

played birdwood a few weeks ago, still growing in, but the layout is good clean fun

2 Likes

We have it on our spring list to hit, figured with hunting season coming up we’d wait till earlier in 2021 and let it come in some more.

If you’re looking for a laid back vibe and don’t mind if it may be a bit shaggy, I’d check out Swannanoa. Haven’t been there in like 11 years, but it was a trip when I did make it out there (college). Also - as @country35 mentioned, Poplar Grove is supposed to be dope. I’m not sure I’m coughing up $100 to play the re-designed Birdwood, from what I’ve heard from a few buddies…

2 Likes

Can poplar grove be accessed without being a guest? Looks like it’s member only from the website. I 100% would play free golf but I’m already driving 3+ hours both ways just to get to the tournament spot so not sure another 2 hour drive would be too smart. Appreciate the offer though

As far as I know it is. I know they are going to try to go private here in a year or two, but I played here in the spring with no issues. I think you get $10 off playing with a member, which a lot of the public courses around here do, mine as well.

1 Like

matter of fact @Smidler said he made tee times coming up there when I steered him that way

Loved it! Haven’t played much east coast golf and I had a blast. Greens had been aerated the day before so they were rough, but the rest of the course more than made up for it.

1 Like

Hello All, I heard a road project was going to force the closure of the final nine of the VA Tech golf course, anybody know when that is projected to start? I would not mind getting up that way to play the course before she is gone. Thanks.

Swannanoa had one of the greatest signs I ever saw. Said “Shirts must be worn on holes 1, 9, 10 and 18”. This was back in the late ‘80s and I so wish I had a picture. Every time I see a course go out of their way to spew their dress code policy I’m reminded of The Swann.

2 Likes

Don’t waste the money on Birdwood. Needs a year or two to grow in. It’s garbage right now compared to spring creek at a similar cost. Also strongly recommend poplar grove

3 Likes

Yep. One of my buddies just called up and made a couple of times. No issues.

I’ve got tee times at Ballyhack Fri, Sat and Sun coming up. Cottage rooms are also available. Got two openings. I’m a 300lb 60 yr old flaming alcoholic that will play anyone straight up or not. My buddy while not a good golfer is a +5 on getting wasted. Let me me know if you are interested. note: My bud says he has turned the corner is only scratch at getting wasted.

4 Likes

Should be some great weather this weekend here in Roanoke. Got a ton of rain the other day, but it should be dried up by friday. If you need any ideas on food around town or anything, feel free to holler at me

I think I saw your buddy shopping for the weekend!

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/tips-for-joining-push-cart-mafia/1445/1811

richmond bros needing a push cart

1 Like

Looks like somebody hopped on it pretty quickly

If I wasn’t 3 hours away I would have in a heart beat, and made an excuse to play out that way while I was there ha.

Still have openings at Ballyhack this weekend. You won’t get bored.

1 Like

Man if I didnt have to play in a captains choice for work sat am and then its opening weekend of bow season as well, I’d def have taken you up on this. Haven’t played out there this year yet.

Wife and I are going up to Boar’s Head week of 10/12 for a few nights. Looks like Birdwood has some mixed reviews here but not sure if it’s going to be practical to drive elsewhere… is it worth playing as a resort guest? And is the par-3 course open?